Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Collecting by Engraver  

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 236
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4387 Posts
Posted 08/05/2018   9:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Professor Otto Stefferl, Austrian stamp designer and engraver.

March 10, 1931 - January 01, 2018

Pic is from a 2011 article in which Stefferl was interviewed
by Barbara Denscher.

http://www.austrianposters.at/2011/...ches-fossil/
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by lithograving - 08/05/2018 9:49 pm
Valued Member
Canada
38 Posts
Posted 08/05/2018   10:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canadian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Professor Otto Stefferl received training from Professor Hubert Woyty-Wimmer (1901 -1972) on engraving techniques; all of Hubert's engraving tools were given to Otto, which he cherished. When asked Otto about the designs he submitted to the Post Office and how competitive it was when Austria had talented other artists also submitting their designs simultaneously. When once he was turned down, at the early years, Otto told the Post Office that he would submit finished models only on the condition that he received the commission. As he put it, "I did not want to invest in failures". Otto completed the story with laughter adding "Post Office complied!"
May he rest in peace.
cNA
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4387 Posts
Posted 08/05/2018   11:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks canadian for the anecdote.It's always
a bonus when he have any kind of additional information about stamp
engravers.

There are so many where all we have is a birth and death date.

And for some engravers we don't even have that.
Valued Member
Canada
38 Posts
Posted 08/06/2018   7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canadian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
lithograving: your favorites Austria Scott 1723 - 1724 are beauties indeed. Otto painted three models for each stamp. Here are the ones that did not get selected.
cNA

Edited by canadian - 08/06/2018 7:12 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4387 Posts
Posted 08/10/2018   11:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
canadian, thank you for showing those Stefferl models.

Are they yours?

Valued Member
Canada
38 Posts
Posted 08/10/2018   11:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canadian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
lithograving: sadly, not mine; these were scanned for me by Professor Otto's relative. There are a few more, but I don't know if these are suitable to post here in the engraving thread.
cNA
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4387 Posts
Posted 08/11/2018   12:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
canadian, I would love to see more of Otto Stefferl's
models, drawings etc. right here on this thread.
BTW do you know if those models were done in watercolour?

Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 09/01/2018   9:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Linns this week has an in depth article detailing the creation and printing of Canada's soon to be released Bighorn Sheep stamp engraved
by Jorge Peral.

This is an excellent article outlining the intaglio printing process.
I hope others more knowledgeable than me, will comment on this new Canadian engraved stamp.

Bacchus
Valued Member
United Kingdom
22 Posts
Posted 09/07/2018   03:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add strider to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been sorting my German engravers and have a question about catalogue descriptions of the Brown Ribbon stamps of 1943 and 1944. Both are described by Michel as engraved, but there's no engraver's name shown, even though names are shown on the stamps themselves.

The 1943 stamp has the name of Zenziger at bottom right, and the 1944 one has Schuricht. Gibbons does show these two engravers for the stamps.

There are similar inconsistencies elsewhere in this period between the two catalogues - I've assumed that usually Michel was probably more likely to be correct. Do people agree?

Where do my two horses belong?

Valued Member
Germany
5 Posts
Posted 09/08/2018   2:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cicero to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Strider,

"Michel" is good, but is not always right and does not always provide all the information.
In this case, the matter is still clear: The stamps itself does not lie, they were of course engraved by the two Graveurs of the "Staatsdruckerei Wien" Rudolf Zenziger (* June 19, 1891 in Vienna, ) and Arthur Schuricht (* December 30, 1882 in Leipzig, August 16, 1945 in Vienna).

Best regards

Cicero
Edited by Cicero - 09/08/2018 2:08 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
22 Posts
Posted 09/22/2018   02:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add strider to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Cicero for your reply.

On a different theme - I've long admired the beautiful Queen Victoria Chalon heads, based on a portrait painted when she was about 18. The stamps were issued by Canada, Nova Scotia, New Zealand, Tasmania, Bahamas, Natal, Queensland, Grenada, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island, from the 1850s right up to 1870, when Victoria was 31.

I know the first engraver to produce one was William Humphreys, and that some were engraved by Herbert Bourne and Alfred Jones. Were there other engravers? and who did which country? Were they all recess printed?
Valued Member
United Kingdom
22 Posts
Posted Yesterday   02:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add strider to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Er, bit of a senior moment there! Victoria was born in 1819, so that makes her about 31 when the Chalon head first appeared and 51 when Prince Edward Island issued the last one.
Page: of 236 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.74 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05