Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Collecting By Engraver

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 3,680 / Views: 1,511,035Next Topic
Page: of 246
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1104 Posts
Posted 01/22/2022   11:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Lithographing,

Thank you very much for the information. I missed this stamp in Ramon's excellent blog. I have several stamps engraved by Sánchez Toda and all of them are great engravings. About your question, very easy: I marked an area of the stamp without letters, copied and pasted on the letters.

Why there is a big difference in the colors of our scans? is it the scanners we use or is it a stamp with different shade?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by LaoPhil - 01/22/2022 11:08 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5118 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   7:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why there is a big difference in the colors of our scans? is it the scanners we use or is it a stamp with different shade?

I believe it's mainly about different scanners and settings and
of course also monitors.
The stamp image detail I showed above beside yours was scanned in 2011 using an Epson 4490Photo.
In the trypitch below I combined the 2011 image with a scan
from today with that same mint stamp together with a used copy I have.
This time I used an Epson V550Photo.

IMO the 2011 4490 scan is closer to the colour of the actual stamp.
Today's V500 scan appears washed out, less colourful,anemic.
Neither scan looks anywhere near the vibrant colours of the actual stamp.

Scott lists the colours of 1463 as brown & sepia.
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1104 Posts
Posted 01/24/2022   12:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed, your old Rambam scan looks better and close to the real stamp. I use CanonScan Lide 120 and usually I am happy with it since I get scans close very much to the real colors (like the Rambam scan), although sometimes I get different colors which are different from the real colors. Other problem is when I scan stamps of a same set, with same background color, sometimes I get different color to each stamp (see the 1972 Poland set shows Stanislaw Moniuszko's works I posted above with the golden background which looks different in each stamp of the set).

Since we started with Sánchez Toda, I have several of his works including the following set of stamps shows famous women issued by Spain on April 8, 1968. According to Nethryk's information, beside Sánchez Toda, other engravers were involved in the engraving of this set: Pablo Sampedro Molero, Daniel Carande Boto and Antonio Manso Fernandez. In this case, all stamp scans are very close to the real colors of the real stamps:

Beatriz Galindo, (c.1465 – 1534), a Spanish Latinist, educator, writer and humanist and a teacher of Queen Isabella of Castile and her children:

Agustina of Aragón (1786 – 1857), a Spanish heroine who defended Spain during the Peninsular War:

María Pacheco, (c. 1496 – 1531), a leader in the Revolt of the Comuneros in Spain, an uprising of the citizens against the monarchy:

María Rosalía Rita de Castro (1837 – 1885), a Galician poet:
Edited by LaoPhil - 01/24/2022 04:12 am
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1104 Posts
Posted 01/26/2022   12:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A set of two semi postal art stamps, engraved by Jules Piel and issued by France on December 17, 1951 to raise donations to the Red Cross:

Portrait of Suzanne de Bourbon (1491-1521) called Child in prayer, daughter of Anne of France and Pierre II of Bourbon Painting by Master of Moulins or Jean Hey (1450-1505):

Portrait of Nicole Richard as Child by Maurice Quentin de La Tour (1704 – 1788):
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1104 Posts
Posted 01/29/2022   10:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Modern Polish Graphic Arts, designed by Stefan Malecki and issued by Poland on March 5, 1979:

Lighting, by Edmund Bartlomiejcyk, engraved by Eugeniusz Tirdiszek:

Portrait of the Artist Wife, by Karol Mondral, engraved by Wanda Zajdel:

Musicians, by Tadeusz Kulisiewicz, engraved by Barbara Kowalska:

Head of a Brave Man, by Wladyslaw Skoczylas, engraved by Jan Maciej Kopecki:
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1104 Posts
Posted 02/01/2022   06:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Views of Bratislava: In years 1977-90, Czechoslovakia issues 14 sets of two stamps each show the city of Bratislava in paintings and art. From them, I chose the ten most beautiful and attractive stamps, IMO:

View of Bratislava, by Georg Hoefnagel, 1574 (1542-1601), engraved by Miloš Ondracek - 1977:

Square in Bratislava, by Imro Weiner-Kral, 1955 91901-1978), engraved by Miloš Ondracek - 1978:

Bratislava Castle on the Danube, by L. Janscha, 1787, engraved by Miloš Ondracek - 1979:

Bratislava Castle, stone engraving by Wolf, 1815, engraved by Miloš Ondracek - 1979:

View across the Danube, by J. Eder, 1810, engraved by Miloš Ondracek - 1980:

The Old Royal Bridge, by J.A. Lantz (1820), engraved by Miloš Ondracek - 1980:

Bratislava Castle, by Georg Balthasar Probst, 1760 (1673-1748), engraved by Jan Mracek - 1981:

Grassalkovic Palace, by C. Bschor, 1815, engraved by Ladislav Jirka - 1981:

Bratislava, View of the Bridge, 19th century, engraved by Miloš Ondracek - 1982:

Mirbachov Palace, 1939, by Julius Schubert (1888-1947), engraved by Miloš Ondracek - 1983:
Edited by LaoPhil - 02/01/2022 06:29 am
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1104 Posts
Posted 02/06/2022   05:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
500th Anniversary Birth of Michelangelo (1475-1564), issued by Italy on April 18, 1975:

Madonna and Child with Saint John the Baptist, engraved by R. di Giuseppe:

Decorated Stone Carving, engraved by Giuseppe Verdelocco:

The Flood, detail from ceiling fresco in the Sistine Chapel shows mother and child running from the flood, engraved by Alceo Quieti:

The complete fresco "The Flood" in the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel:
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1104 Posts
Posted 02/09/2022   01:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Paintings by Eugen Zotow (1881 - 1953), designed by C. Eberle, engraved by Wolfgang Seidel and issued by Liechtenstein on December 2, 1996:

Landscape in Poltava:

Three Bathers in a Park in Berlin:

View of Vaduz:
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1104 Posts
Posted 02/12/2022   4:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
World Refugee Year, issued by Belgium on April 7, 1960. The set contains three semi-postal stamps with additional values to raise donations for refugees. Although the stamps are not Art stamps (which is my main collection), I love the design and engraving of them, especially the stamp shows child, and keep a copy in my album.

The stamps were designed by Jean van Noten and engraved by Jean de Bast:

Jean van Noten was a very proliferative stamp designer. I like very much his stamp designs especially the animal designs he made for Rwanda. Here is a maxi card shows him in his studio. This photo was used to design the affixed engraved stamp and the postmark, issued by Belgium in 1992 to publicize the stamp day:
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1104 Posts
Posted 02/16/2022   05:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
International Museum Week, designed by Czeslaw Kaczmarczyk and issued by Poland on October 23, 1956:

A plaster cast of a bust of Niobe, taken from the marble statue "Niobe and her youngest daughter" from the Uffizi Niobid Group in Florence (see photo of complete statue below), engraved by Edward Konecki:

Madonna by Veit Stoss (Ca. 1450 - 1533), Saint Mary's Church, Krakow, Poland, engraved by Stefan Lukaszewski:

Lady with an Ermine, by Leonardo da Vinci (1452 - 1519), Czartoryski Museum, Krakow, Poland, engraved by Boguslaw Brandt:

Edited by LaoPhil - 02/16/2022 05:34 am
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1104 Posts
Posted 02/20/2022   4:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Paintings by the Spanish painter Diego Velázquez (1599 – 1660), charity sheet in aid of orphans of the post office workers issued in Spain in 1939. The engraver of it is unknown:

"The feast of Bacchus" or "the triumph of Bacchus":

"The Surrender of Breda":

"Las Meninas" (Spanish for "The Ladies-in-waiting"):

"The Spinners":

"The Forge of Vulcan". The painting shows god Apollo visits Vulcan (Hephaestus) in his forge to tell him that his wife, Venus, having an affair with Mars, god of war, in his bedroom:
Edited by LaoPhil - 02/20/2022 4:37 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5118 Posts
Posted 02/20/2022   8:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Eli, that Spanish souvenir sheet is nicely engraved but
I cannot find it in Scott or Michel.

There is this note in Scott's Spain semi-postal section
which might indicate these are charity labels.

If that is what they are then these "labels" look a thousand times
more like a stamp than the multicoloured "labels" which
postal services issue nowadays.
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1104 Posts
Posted 02/21/2022   12:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the information, lithograving

You correct, in the past I asked about it in other forum since I also didn't find it listed in catalogues. I was told it was issued in 1939 as a charity souvenir sheet for the benefit of orphans of the post office workers (sello de beneficencia). I bought it mainly for my "Mythology of the World collection" but also because its great engravings. Ramon mentions these stamps in his blog in the chapter about Sanchez Toda (November 3, 2019) and says the engraver is unknown.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5118 Posts
Posted 02/21/2022   2:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the article in Ramon's blog mentioned above by LaoPhil.

https://sellosyartistas.blogspot.com/2019/11/
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1104 Posts
Posted 02/24/2022   10:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the link, lithograving!

Painting by Joseph Kutter (1894–1941), one of Luxembourg's most important painters, engraved by Pierre Béquet and issued by Luxembourg on May 19, 1969 to commemorate Kutter's 75th birth anniversary. Stamps show the paintings "The Wooden Horse" and "Old Luxembourg City":

Page: of 246 Replies: 3,680 / Views: 1,511,035Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05