Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Collecting By Engraver

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3,694 / Views: 1,526,684Next Topic
Page: of 247
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1205 Posts
Posted 04/26/2022   3:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to Israel!!!!

It's a celebration day! I added to my Laos stamp collection, my main collection, a set of four Sunken Die Proofs (SDP) in monochrome signed by artists of the set about Lao folklore issued by the Kingdom of Laos on May 20, 1966. Stamps were all designed by Sa-Nguan Rodboon and each stamp was engraved by different engraver:

Here are the proofs in high resolution. I scanned the central area of each:

Ordination of Monks, Engraved by Robert Cami:

Sand Stupas building ceremony, Engraved by Georges Bétemps:

Religious procession with a Phassad Pheng, wax stupa model, Engraved by Charles Mazelin:

Sou-Khouane (Baci) ceremony, Engraved by Jean Pheulpin:

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by LaoPhil - 04/26/2022 3:15 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1205 Posts
Posted 05/03/2022   2:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 40th Anniversary of the Reign of Prince Franz Josef II, 1938-1978 (1906 - 1989), designed by Otto Stefferl, engraved by Wolfgang Seidel (40 and 70 Ct.) and by Alfred Fischer (50 and 80 Ct.) and issued by Liechtenstein on June 1, 1978:

Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1205 Posts
Posted 05/12/2022   3:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
History of Writing, designed by Otto Stefferl, engraved by Rudolf Toth and issued by Austria on June 4, 1965.

Hieroglyphics & mural painting from Thebes, Egypt:

Cuneiform script on clay tablet & Head statue (Hammurabi?):

Roman inscription on wax table & Corinthian pillar:

Gothic letter with seal & Gothic church window, Münster cathedral, Germany:

Gothic letter & tabernacle secretary:

Modern typewriter:
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1205 Posts
Posted 05/24/2022   02:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Italian Beauty - Art Stamps engraved by Tullio Mele and issued by Italy:

The Cook, by Bernardo Strozzi (1581 - 1644), issued on July 12, 1978:

Virgin Annunciate, by Antonello da Messina (c. 1430 – 1479), issued on February 15, 1979:

Italian Rural Landscape, by Ardengo Soffici (1879 – 1964), issued on February 15, 1979:

Polyptych of St Barbara (Central Panel), by Palma Il Vecchio (1480 - 1528), issued on November 20, 1980:

A polyptych is a painting (usually panel painting) which is divided into sections, or panels. Here is the complete Polyptych of St Barbara from Santa Maria Formosa, Venice:
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1205 Posts
Posted 05/27/2022   12:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Famous antique statues of Greek mythological figures, designed and engraved by Eugčne Lacaque, and issued by Niger on October 15, 1973:

Aphrodite of Milos, better known as the Venus de Milo, thought to be the work of Alexandros of Antioch:

Hercules leaning on his club, probably an enlarged copy made in the early third century AD and signed by Glykon, from an original by Lysippos (or one of his circle) that would have been made in the 4th century BC:

The Farnese Atlas, a 2nd century Roman marble copy of a Hellenistic sculpture of Atlas kneeling with the celestial spheres:

Apollo Belvedere, marble after Leochares:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1432 Posts
Posted 05/29/2022   10:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm trying to gather some information about U.S. engraver Harry Peckmore. He was a freelance engraver who did a number of stamps for Liberia and Guinee, which I'll post here. Reportedly, he also did stamps for Haiti and the Dominican Republic. If anyone can identify those I would be grateful.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
33 Posts
Posted 05/30/2022   03:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add strider to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can someone tell me about modern engraved stamps of China - the Peoples Republic. I know that about 12 years ago Martin Morck went to China to teach about a dozen Chinese engravers. Do we know their names? and what stamps have they produced since that time? Does China produce many engraved stamps?

I have a collection of engraved stamps, but the only Chinese stamps I have so far are the 1947 Confucius set, and I don't know who the engraver was.
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1205 Posts
Posted 05/30/2022   04:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
GregAlex, sounds interesting and the examples you posted are great especially the Liberian Yehudi Ashmun stamps. Hope you will receive an answer soon.

Strider, I have no answer to your question about the Chinese engraver names, but, yes, China PR still issues several engraved stamps each year. For instance, in year 2019, China issued 3 engraved sets (total 15 stamps) + sheet + souvenir sheet. Here are one stamp from each set and the SS as examples:

Here is one example from 2017 shows Gustav Mahler, I have on cover:

Morck in China:
https://stampcollectingroundup.blog...-art-in.html
Edited by LaoPhil - 05/30/2022 04:46 am
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1205 Posts
Posted 06/02/2022   5:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Several engraved stamps to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the accession of Queen Elizabeth II

Queen Elizabeth II Parents, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth: Coronation and Silver Wedding:

Coronation of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth, issued for use in the Gilbert and Ellice Islands on May 12, 1937:

Silver wedding of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth (1923-1949), issued for use in the Gilbert and Ellice Islands on August 29, 1949:

The Royal Family: King George VI, Queen Elizabeth, Princess Elizabeth and Princess Margaret, designed by James Reginald George Berry and issued by New Zealand on April 1, 1946:

Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II, a stamp from an omnibus set issued for use in Gilbert and Ellice Islands on June 2, 1953:

Queen Elizabeth II, definitive stamp, issued by New Zealand on March 1, 1954:
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1205 Posts
Posted 06/06/2022   07:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Famous statues, designed and engraved by Eugčne Lacaque, issued by Mali on September 17, 1973:

Perseus holding the Head of Medusa, by Benvenuto Cellini (1500 - 1571):
Perseus, the son of the mortal Danae and the god Zeus, was the hero that fought and killed the Gorgon Medusa.

The Pietŕ (The Pity), body of Jesus on the lap of his mother Mary after the Crucifixion, by Michelangelo Buonarroti (1475 - 1564):

Winged Victory of Samothrace, or the goddess Nike of Samothrace, 200-190 BC:

Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1205 Posts
Posted 06/11/2022   3:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Letter, painting by Anton Hickel (1745-1798) shows portrait of Marie Louise of Savoy (1749-1792), Princess of Lamballe, designed by Cornelia Eberle, engraved by Wolfang Seidel and issued by Liechtenstein on December 5, 1988. The high value shows the complete painting and the two lower values, show details of the painting:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1432 Posts
Posted 06/13/2022   4:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm trying to gather some information about U.S. engraver Harry Peckmore. He was a freelance engraver who did a number of stamps for Liberia and Guinee, which I'll post here. Reportedly, he also did stamps for Haiti and the Dominican Republic. If anyone can identify those I would be grateful.

No responses yet to my query. But I did find a remarkable souvenir sheet that Peckmore also did. I believe Athur Szyk did the design for this shield, then Peckmore engraved it.

Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1205 Posts
Posted 06/16/2022   12:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Although I concentrate mainly in Art on engraved stamps, I keep several other subject stamps that I find interesting and attractive. Here is such a set issued by Hungary on March 15, 1952 shows freedom fighters of 1848.

The Hungarian Revolution of 1848 or the Hungarian Civic Revolution and War of Independence of 1848–1849 was one of many European Revolutions of 1848 and was closely linked to other revolutions of 1848 in the Habsburg areas. Although the revolution failed, it is one of the most significant events in Hungary's modern history, forming a cornerstone of modern Hungarian national identity.

Stamps were designed by Zoltan Nagy who also engraved the 50, 60f. and the 1Fl. stamps. Mihaly Fule engraved the rest three.

Lajos Kossuth de Udvard et Kossuthfalva (1802 – 1894) was a Hungarian nobleman, lawyer, journalist, politician, statesman and Governor-President of the Kingdom of Hungary during the Hungarian Civic Revolution and War of Independence of 1848–1849, one of many European Revolutions of 1848 closely linked to other revolutions of 1848 in the Habsburg areas.

Sandor Petofi (1823 –1849), an Hungarian poet and liberal revolutionary, considered Hungary's national poet, and was one of the key figures of the Hungarian Revolution of 1848. He is the author of the Nemzeti dal (National Song), which is said to have inspired the revolution in the Kingdom of Hungary that grew into a war for independence from the Austrian Empire. It is most likely that he died in the Battle of Segesvár, one of the last battles of the war.

Jozsef Bem (1794-1850), a Polish engineer and general, an Ottoman pasha and a national hero of Poland and Hungary, and a figure intertwined with other European patriotic movements. Bem fought outside Poland and Hungary's borders anywhere his leadership and military skills were needed.

60f. Mihaly Tancsics (1799-1884), a Hungarian writer, teacher, journalist and politician.

Janos Damjanich (1804-1849), an Austrian military officer of Serb origin who became general of the Hungarian Revolutionary Army in 1848. He is considered a national hero in Hungary.

Sandor Nagy (1804-1849), a honvéd (one of Royal Hungarian armed forces) general in the Hungarian Army. He was executed for his part in the Hungarian Revolution of 1848, and is considered one of the 13 Martyrs of Arad.
Edited by LaoPhil - 06/16/2022 12:49 am
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1205 Posts
Posted 06/21/2022   02:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Art by non Czech artists exhibited in the National Gallery of Prague, engraved art stamps issued by Czechoslovakia:

The Feast of the Rosary (German: Rosenkranzfest), Detail, by Albrecht Durer (1471-1528), engraved by Ladislav Jirka and issued on November 27, 1971:
Note that Durer appears on the right side of the painting, wearing yellow coat

Self Portrait, painting by Pablo Picasso (1881 – 1973), engraved by Josef Hercik and issued on November 27, 1972:

Hygieia, painting by Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), National Gallery, Prague, engraved by Josef Hercik and issued on November 24, 1977:

St John the Baptist, detail by Auguste Rodin (1840 - 1917), engraved by Vaclav Fajt and issued on November 27, 1990:

Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1205 Posts
Posted 06/24/2022   11:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a second group of engraved stamps show art by non Czech artists exhibited in the National Gallery of Prague, issued by Czechoslovakia.

Adam and Eve, by Lucas Cranach the Elder (1472 – 1553), engraved by Josef Hercik and issued on November 3, 1986:

Jaguar attacking Rider, by Eugčne Delacroix (1798-1863), engraved by Milos Ondracek and issued on November 17, 1988:

Christ, by the Spanish (Greek origin) painter Doménikos Theotokópoulos, known as El Greco (1541 - 1614), engraved by Milos Ondracek and issued on November 3, 1991:

Milenci (The Lovers), by the French painter Pierre-Auguste Renoir (1841 – 1919), engraved by Bedrich Housa and issued on November 3, 1991:
Page: of 247 Previous TopicReplies: 3,694 / Views: 1,526,684Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05