Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Collecting by Engraver  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 236
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1084 Posts
Posted 05/06/2011   11:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cynical to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nethryk: welcome to the forum. I have seen your scans on another forum and look forward to your future postings here. I especially appreciate the work you put in to provide catalogue identifications, which is fantastic for searching about individual stamps.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4406 Posts
Posted 05/06/2011   3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
nethryk, I also want to extend a hearty welcome to another
connoisseurs of the art of stamp engraving.

I look forward to seeing your stamps.

FYI there is also a long running thread on engraved stamps here
in the SCF forum.

http://goscf.com/t/7502&whichpage=1...s%2Cpart%2C2
Edited by lithograving - 05/06/2011 3:50 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1355 Posts
Posted 05/06/2011   4:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampgal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What an amazing thread, and so many great pictures, my poor old computer is having trouble keeping up.
Stampgal, after all this are you still collecting Mr. Slania?

Jamesw, I am always looking for the engraver's name on stamps,and this thread has been great for adding a few I was less familiar with. As a collection in itself, its in its infancy, i.e. its a loose accumulation of stamps and information without as yet much focus, organisation or direction.
I have some gorgeous Slania stamps, and there is quite a bit of information about him on the web. I would like to look at some of the others in more depth. As I am focussing on France quite a bit with my collecting, Decaris and Gandon obviously spring to mind.
I feel a bit remiss in not adding much to this thread for a while, but those who have contributed have provided so much enjoyment and food for thought. Thankyou everyone!

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
687 Posts
Posted 05/06/2011   4:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf14 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Check out Pierre Abuisson's own site for great drawings and stamp engravings, stunning!

http://www.pierre-albuisson.com/eng...accueil.html

Pillar Of The Community
7531 Posts
Posted 05/07/2011   10:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
cynical - Thanks for your warm welcome to SCF. It seems this thread is a lively one, and right on target with my main collecting interests. Rest assured that I will be happy to continue posting stamp identification information with my images; it's a great help to me when others do likewise.

lithograving - Also my thanks to you for making me feel welcome right away. Your dedication to collecting finely engraved stamps is well known to me. And thanks for the tip on the other thread here; I enjoyed reviewing it, and I will strive not to post images of stamps that have already been posted on either thread.

As a long-time member of the (now defunct) Czeslaw Slania Study Group, I certainly understand everyone's fascination with his astonishing skill and uncanny precision, and I too have posted images of a few of his stamps on other forums. I have also posted elsewhere image-albums of stamps designed and engraved by two of my all-time favorites, Pierre Gandon and Jean Pheulpin. Here, though, I propose to focus on some of the perhaps less-renowned stamp engravers whom I happen to also hold in high regard.

I have noted that some of the images posted here, particularly those posted through links to photobucket, are larger than the regulation 100kb specified in the SCF's rule book, so I'm assuming that is allowed, which is a very good thing in my opinion. Usually, engraved stamps must be magnified to be fully appreciated, but also they sometimes need to be seen in approximately "normal" size if the designers' artistic intent to be achieved.

Speech over.

Here are magnified versions of the two Albert Decaris stamp images that I posted previously, plus images of a couple more nice stamps that he also designed and engraved.

- nethryk

Libreville Harbor, Gabon, issued for use in French Equatorial Africa on April 25, 1956, Scott No. 192. Sentimental value: I acquired this stamp while still a fledgling collector back in the 1950s.

Greater kudu, issued for use in French Equatorial Africa on November 11, 1957, Scott No. 198.

Edited by nethryk - 05/14/2011 8:00 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4406 Posts
Posted 05/07/2011   8:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nethryk, I agree with you in showcasing some of the lesser known engravers. Lets face it Slania was the Master
but there were many other fine engravers who possessed great skills and deserve to be recognized.

Ranzoni, Hans, the Younger, b. Vienna, Sept. 6, 1896, d. Vienna, Oct. 11, 1991, graphic artist, copper engraver, son of Hans Ranzoni the Elder.
Studied under A. Cossmann; 1945-1961 teacher at the School of Graphic Arts in Vienna.
Concentrated on copper engraving and received many prizes for his work, which also included illustrations, bookplates, official documents and stamps..

Hans Ranzoni's first attempt at stamp design & engraving came with the 1934 Austrian Architects issue
Scott B122-B127. I don't have this set to illustrate but perhaps someone here on SCF can help.

He engraved one more stamp before the Anschluss, the Mother's Day stamp issued
on May 1, 1935. Scott 376.

He designed & engraved his first stamp for Germany in 1941,still working for the State Printer in Vienna.

Immediately after WWII his design was used for the first stamps in the Russian Zone of
Occupation of Austria. Issued July 3, 1945

The low and mid values were either typographed or offset printed.

Scott 441 & 438

The higher Mark values were engraved by Ranzoni

Scott 451 - 454

Edited by lithograving - 05/08/2011 1:25 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4406 Posts
Posted 05/07/2011   8:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ranzoni developed a few more stamps for Austria in the next
2 decades following WWII sometimes just as the engraver
but frequently both designing & engraving.

Scott 725

Scott 660

Scott 666

Scott 673

Valued Member
United States
426 Posts
Posted 05/07/2011   9:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add butterfly to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful presentations.

I was going to post some scans, hit this thread and now am totally sidetracked.

quote-- "which also included illustrations, bookplates, official documents and stamps"

Now I'm wondering if I'm missing out on some awesome graphic art.

Thanks again for broadening my horizons.
Edited by butterfly - 05/07/2011 9:22 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4406 Posts
Posted 05/07/2011   9:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Butterfly

There isn't a lot of info on Hans Ranzoni online but when
you Google his name there is a bit about his work
http://www.exlibris-artshop.com/en/...ranzoni.html
or this below.
http://www.austriancoins.com/hujer.html

Pillar Of The Community
7531 Posts
Posted 05/09/2011   09:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
lithograving - Nice presentation; I am also a big fan of Hans Ranzoni. I'm glad you like the idea of highlighting the work of some neglected engravers. I'll post here a few more stamps by Albert Decaris, and then I'll move on to another deserving engraver.

Decaris attended the Estienne School, and later the prestigious School of Fine-Arts in Paris. At age 18, he won his first Prix de Rome scholarship for engraving. In 1943, Decaris was elected to the Academy of Fine-Arts, and in 1960 he became its president.

Here are images of a couple of early stamps that Decaris designed and engraved. Note the artistic (but unrealistic) flourishes of placing small boats perilously close to the hard-charging ocean liners (check out those bow waves!)

- nethryk

SS Normandie, issued by France on June 7, 1935, Scott No. 300, Yvert & Tellier No. 299. This was the first Decaris stamp issued by France.

SS Pasteur, issued by France on July 17, 1941, Scott No. B114, Y&T No. 502. Note that this stamp was only issued bearing the semi-postal overprint in red.

Pillar Of The Community
7531 Posts
Posted 05/09/2011   09:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Albert Decaris could depict undersea life as well. Here are images of two stamps designed and engraved by Decaris depicting fancy fish, issued by Monaco on June 1, 1960, Scott Nos. 470 & 473.

- nethryk

Seahorse

Scorpion fish

Pillar Of The Community
7531 Posts
Posted 05/09/2011   09:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that Albert Decaris's graphic design talents really shone through on this set of two "United Europe" stamps that he designed and engraved, and issued by France on September 16, 1957. Scott Nos. 846-47, Y&T Nos. 1122-23.

- nethryk

Pillar Of The Community
7531 Posts
Posted 05/09/2011   10:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Albert Decaris's portraits were often highly stylized for artistic effect. For example, note the elongated necks on the people featured on these two stamps from a set of five depicting famous French actors issued by France on June 10, 1961, Scott Nos. 999 and 1000, Y&T Nos. 1303 and 1305. Both stamps were designed and engraved by Decaris.

- nethryk

Rachel (Elizabeth Rachel Félix), in the role of Phèdre.

Gérard Philipe, in the role of "le Cid."

Edited by nethryk - 08/23/2011 11:13 am
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
6142 Posts
Posted 05/09/2011   10:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nethryk,

You will most likely be getting a friendly 'Kick-in-the'Butt' from one of the Mods for posting in Blue!

I got my friendly 'whack' for a much lesser offence when I was a newbie.
Just so that you know.

Colours are for highlighting, posts should be in Black.

Also, go here and introduce yourself....you will get lots of lovely Welcomes.

http://goscf.com/f/11

Londonbus1...and all in the colour black !
Pillar Of The Community
7531 Posts
Posted 05/09/2011   11:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Londonbus1 - Thanks for the chromatic tip; blue is my favorite writing color, but I suppose can get by here without using it. And I would hate getting kicked by anyone, especially in the butt. Here are a couple more examples of Albert Decaris's marvelous design and engraving work.

- nethryk

Map and cyclists, celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Tour de France, issued by France on July 26, 1953, Scott No. 693, Yvert & Tellier No. 955. Another outstanding graphic design, well-executed.

Cement works in Rufisque, issued by Senegal on July 4, 1964, Scott No. 1232. Decaris was so good an artist that he could make even something as prosaic as a cement mill look almost beautiful.

Page: of 236 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05