Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Collecting by Engraver

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 236
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
615 Posts
Posted 05/14/2011   10:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dave9911 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All I can say about those scans of stamps above my post is... WOW. The detail and care in design is simply amazing. The clarity of the "picture" generated by good engravers in a single or maybe two colours is just remarkable.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
7531 Posts
Posted 05/14/2011   11:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dave9911 - Thanks. It's surely no coincidence that the first five of the Hipschen engraved stamps posted above were all designed by the same gifted American graphic designer, Bradbury Thompson (1911-1995.) And the Murrow stamp was designed by Christopher Calle (1961- ), another noted American graphic designer.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4419 Posts
Posted 05/14/2011   2:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
nethryk - In my old Michel Europa it lists some of the engravers
of the Spanish stamps but nothing after 1960.

You mention a Sánchez Toda. For the 1960 Bullfight series
it lists a J.L. Sánchez-Toda and an A. Sánchez-Toda.
Were they related as far as you know?

Yes Hipschen was one of the best engravers ever as can be seen from
the ones you posted.
He seemed to have a knack for portraits especially.
The only one I have is a plate bock of the RFK. The engraving
just jumps out at you, I don't think Slania could have improved on that.

Pillar Of The Community
7531 Posts
Posted 05/14/2011   2:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
lithograving - I think most collectors would agree that Michel is probably the best general catalogue for continental Europe; I really must get my hands on a recent edition one of these days. Yes, José Luis López Sánchez Toda and Alfonso López Sánchez Toda (1914-?) were indeed brothers, and they worked on a fair number of stamps together; how cool is that? - nethryk
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4419 Posts
Posted 05/14/2011   2:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
nethryk

The recent editions of Michel (European sections or Uebersee) don't list the engravers any more, nor the designers.

For Michel Deutschland they still list the designers but no longer the engravers.
Go figure. Engravers get no respect like Rodney Dangerfield would say.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
687 Posts
Posted 05/14/2011   3:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf14 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is one of the most interesting threads that I have followed so far. The eye-candy posted has been unbelievable; to date I count 29 engravers. Here is the list so far, please tell me if I have missed any:

Engravers:

1. Czeslaw Slania
2. Corrado Mezzana
3. Edmund Dulac
4. Eric Gill
5. Willi Dachauer
6. Eugene Mouchon
7. Frank D Manley
8. Adalbert Pilch
9. Michel Monvoisin
10. Georges Bétemps
11. Claude Durrens
12. Jacky Larrivière
13. Eugène Lacaque
14. Pierre Albuisson
15. Rudolf Toth
16. Egon Falz
17. Pierre Gandon
18. Margot (Sachs) Bitzer
19. Ferdinand Lorber
20. Arne Wallhorn
21. Albert Decaris
22. Hans Ranzoni
23. Arne Kühlmann
24. Vittorio Nicastro
25. Jean de Vos
26. Edward Konecki
27. Daniel Carande Boto
28. José Luis López Sánchez Toda
29. Thomas R. Hipschen

WoW!

:)
Pillar Of The Community
7531 Posts
Posted 05/14/2011   3:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
lithograving - Thanks for the tip. No question that these days intaglio engravers, with a few exceptions, get little attention or respect in the stamp world. BTW - Only minutes ago I ordered 1999-2000 editions of the Michel East and West Europe catalogues at very reasonable close-out prices. That suits me because most of the stamps I am interested in were produced in the last century; I'll keep my fingers crossed until they arrive. Also, I'll let you know if they contain any interesting information. - nethryk
Pillar Of The Community
7531 Posts
Posted 05/14/2011   3:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perf14 - I'm glad to know you like our posted images. Quickly scanning your engravers' list, I would note that Adalbert Pilch was a splendid stamp designer, but was not actually an engraver, to the best of my knowledge. I would also note that we have hardly even "scratched the surface" yet: I alone have more than 450 individual stamp engravers listed in my personal database. - nethryk
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4419 Posts
Posted 05/14/2011   3:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
nethryk
The 1999/2000 editions might still have all the info but the Michel Nord und Nordwesteuropa 2004/2005 which is my latest
no longer has engravers, designers nor printers which is info I'm looking for.

Perf14

That's a great list you made. Thanks.
I agree with nethryk regarding Pilch (1917 - 2004) he was an Austrian painter and graphic artist besides stamp designer but no engraver.
He usually worked in tandem with the engraver Rudolf Toth and they
produced dozens of fine stamps.

Edited by lithograving - 05/14/2011 4:02 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
687 Posts
Posted 05/14/2011   4:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf14 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It seems strange, though that no one, so far has made mention one of the best engravers of the 20th century:

Quote:
Recognised as being one of the great line-engravers of the 20th Century, John Augustus Charles Harrison was born in Manchester on 5th August 1872 into a family of engravers, his father being Samuel Harrison, the famous line-engraver. John, at the age of thirteen was apprenticed to his father, and also attended art classes in Birmingham. At seventeen he joined Waterlow Brothers & Layton, (later Waterlow & Sons Ltd), as an ornamental engraver. In the 1890s he left to become a freelance engraver and produced many line-engravings for heraldic bookplates.

Just two of his more famous engravings:

and

Edited by Perf14 - 01/13/2012 08:25 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
687 Posts
Posted 05/14/2011   4:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf14 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks nethryk, I have amended my list and re-read your earlier post where you make that point, I must have missed it
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4419 Posts
Posted 05/14/2011   4:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those Harrison engravings are supberb. Some collectors
consider the £1 PUC stamp the most beautiful stamp ever issued.
I agree it's a stunning example of what can be accomplished on
a small bit of paper.
In my case since I don't possess a copy & have never seen an
actual one close up it's hard for me to judge.
By having the real thing in front of you I believe only then can
one apprciate a stamp.
Even a scan no matter how sharp can compensate for the
real thing IMO.

PS Did John Augustus Charles Harrison have a connection with
the British printers Harrison & Sons ?
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
687 Posts
Posted 05/14/2011   4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf14 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
450?!? That's way too many for me, I would have to live for another 60 years to collect some of their works! Not to mention a Bill Gates type of bank account.

I think the 30 or so mentioned above would be a good place for me to start and if I focus on some of their works and not all of them I might have a chance at some sort of completion...the other 420 I will leave for my afterlife :)
Pillar Of The Community
7531 Posts
Posted 05/14/2011   5:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perf14 - You'll certainly get no argument from me that J.A.C. Harrison was absolutely TOP shelf. Unfortunately, in my experience, his engraved stamps also tend to be rather expensive to buy in nice condition. Of course, that is true of many British Commonwealth engraved classics, which is undeniably one of the main reasons that my own stamp collection is so deplorably weak in that area. Sigh.

To cheer myself up, and to end this day with a frisson of Gallic flair, here are images of some stamps that I DO have in my collection, produced by another outstanding stamp designer and engraver: René Cottet (1902-1992), who created beaucoup stamps for his native France, the French community of nations, Monaco, Luxembourg, and Poland during his long career.

- nethryk

Lamartine, issued by France on April 5, 1948, Scott No. B224, Y&T No. 795.

Cable railway to Pic du Midi, issued by France on October 6, 1956, Scott No. 808, Y&T No. 1079.

Brown trout, issued by Luxembourg on June 25, 1963, Scott No. 402.

Vintage Moselle, issued by Luxembourg on September 13, 1958, Scott No. 345.

Giant eland, issued for use in French Equatorial Africa on November 4, 1957, Scott No. 195.

Two statues of Ramses II, issued by Algeria on June 28, 1964, Scott No. 318.

Edited by nethryk - 05/14/2011 7:56 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4419 Posts
Posted 05/14/2011   8:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Starting in 1961 and for the next few years my parents & I
would drive down to the States for vacation.
One of the highlights of the trips for me would be finding
Post Offices with commemorative stamps. I especially liked
the multicoloured ones printed by the new Giori presses since
most Canadian stamps at that time were either mono or bi-coloured.

Even though these stamps have very little monetary value I treasure
them for the memories they bring back.

Scott 1191
Engraved by Richard M. Bower (vignette) Howard F Sharpless (lettering)

Scott 1192 1962
Engravers ? Help nethryk

Scott 1207 1962

Engraved by Charles A Brooks (vignette) Howard Sharpless (lettering)

Winslow Homer's Breezing Up, an iconic American painting.

I recall that when I first saw this stamp at some small US PO I thought it was just about the most beautiful stamp I had seen up to that time.
Page: of 236 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.06 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05