Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay seller - nystamps  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9
Pillar Of The Community
1514 Posts
Posted 08/26/2014   01:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jenny2U to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
eyeonwall - it has nothing to do with time. eBay just about forces sellers, especially large ones, to use its own mailing labels. Large sellers who refuse to go along lose benefits on eBay. which add up to many $$$. Over time, you will find less and less sellers (even small ones) who use stamps - unfortunately it's the new eBay reality.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 07/12/2018   08:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bamaboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was browsing eBay and ran across this item from nystamp and was wondering if I could get an opinion as to it's authenticity. I am a beginner and trying to learn, but it looks off to me.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
956 Posts
Posted 07/12/2018   08:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
IF nystamps described it as #24 it is genuine. With this seller you always have to look for undescribed faults, so check out the pic of the reverse and see if there is evidence of repair.
Learn More...
5436 Posts
Posted 07/12/2018   09:12 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome.
PLease search this forum for other nystamps threads. In my opinion, unless you are highly experienced and are willing to immediately return the item if it is not as described, then find a quality seller whom you can trust.
Don
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
Posted 07/12/2018   09:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGVIStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have purchased a number of individual stamp lots from NYStamps. They do a pretty good job of showing the items and the one time I had a problem, they took the item back with no issues.

I don't consider them experts in terms of British Colony stamps, so I rely on the images rather to verify something is what they say it is.
Moderator KGVI Group on Yahoo.com
Learn More...
5436 Posts
Posted 07/12/2018   09:28 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone who buys from them will, of course, think they are ok and defend their actions. Anyone who recommends them to less experienced collectors is clueless. And each person can make up their own mind if supporting them is good of bad for the hobby.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
1677 Posts
Posted 07/12/2018   09:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would avoid NYStamps like the plague. There are so many good options out there. Why expose yourself to the good odds of misidentifications (intentional and otherwise), faulty stamps and other pitfalls. Remember that with very few exceptions you absolutely get what you pay for. It takes patience but if you are on a restricted stamp budget it pays to avoid the temptation of immediate gratification and save your dollars to purchase a quality item that will have desirability and good resale potential. NYStamps, in my opinion, does not check the boxes in these areas.
Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 07/12/2018   09:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bamaboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1908 Posts
Posted 07/12/2018   11:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I admit I buy multi-stamp lots from nystamps. They did ship me the wrong lot last time but I did want to keep it and agreed on a price (I got money back).
Al
Edited by angore - 07/12/2018 11:31 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3927 Posts
Posted 07/12/2018   2:08 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would not buy from nystamps if buying singles, but historically their bulk lots can be interesting. It's been several years since I've purchased a bulk lot from them though. I'm more of a Buy-It-Now/Best Offer shopper than auctions, unless it is something I REALLY want.
Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
Posted 07/12/2018   3:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Walkman82 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've bought from them several times and have never had an issue as the items were as described and arrived in a timely manner.
Learn More...
5436 Posts
Posted 07/12/2018   6:19 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Posting that "I have bought from them and everything was fine", while truthful, cries out for a bit more context. Here is my opinion.

The issue with sellers who are 'trolling for suckers' depends on people telling others "I have bought from them and everything was fine" so the question is not whether or not someone has had a few 'good' experiences. The issue is if the seller is or isn't correctly describing listings. So I ask those who are saying they have had good experience to look at this a different way. Ask yourself this question, 'how many incorrectly described listings does a seller have to have before I think to myself that this seller is not be trusted?' 10? 100? 1000? Or is that that as long as you (either through luck or experience/skill) can navigate the listing that you are willing to tell others that this seller is good?

And before anyone starts in with the 'yes but you can always get your money back' lets be real. The majority of time people are NOT sending stuff in for verification certs. They are simply getting the material, often not even soaking it of checking close for 'expertly repair' and just mounting the stamp(s) in their collections. This does not count as a 'good buy'. It only counts as you thinking you got a good deal and then assuming that you did. So the majority of these listings never get verified. They start them all at $0.01 for a reason, knowing that this trolls for suckers. (Not to say that all sellers who do this practice are doing this, but it is undisputable that there are sellers who specifically do this for that reason.)

What I think is damaging our hobby are generations of low quality collections that people (or their families) think are worth high values. There is nothing wrong with building a collection of low value stamps… as long as you know that is what you are doing. If you want to buy from a seller who clearly marks every listing, 'some stamp may have been expertly repaired' and never verify this, then have at it. But telling others that you support these types of seller goes beyond impacting just you and your family.

I am sorry for sounding like a negative Nancy but I feel that we have a responsibility to make sure less experienced collectors fully understand what is going here. Just because you are willing to look the other way and support a seller who clearly has a track record of mis-describe listings and is trolling for suckers should at a minimun give you pause for encouraging others to do the same.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
1677 Posts
Posted 07/12/2018   7:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1908 Posts
Posted 07/13/2018   06:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am all for comments about dealers but it is another to question why some do business with some sellers. This is why some like me chime in about our experiences. This is viewed as negative. I have not see anyone here buying from these dealers suppressing the negative comments or saying it does not happen but noting it is not 100% negative.

Some should think we should boycott eBay because they have a hands off policy so that is one extreme.

Al
Edited by angore - 07/13/2018 06:45 am
Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 07/13/2018   07:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bamaboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
After reading these recent comments and previous comments about nystamps and others, I have this take away: Buyer beware.

I collected stamps as a child. I was interested in filling a slot in my album with little regard to the finer points of philatelics. Since I have recently returned to this hobby as an adult, the focus is not only in acquiring those missing items but also the finest example for the price I can afford. In the past couple months I have purchased a 9 items from nystamps, and have come to learn that 4 of them had been repaired at some point prior to coming into my possession. The repairs were not mentioned in the listing. At first, I was not even aware that a repaired stamp was even an issue, or how to spot a repair. so of course I was very happy with the stamps.

With all this being said, I went back to the listings a re-read the listings and noticed that he did indeed say that what your getting may very well be suspect and if you are not happy a full refund is given. Will I buy another stamp from nystamp, maybe not, because I would rather deal with someone who is up front, frank and honest. There is an air of dishonesty, in preying on the unsuspecting and under informed collectors. I understand where both sides are coming from a respect both opinions.

If you like buying stamps from nystamp and others who have similar practices, I support you. It is a free society, if people want to buy stamps without regard to the condition to fill slots, or take a chance on a deal, I support their efforts too. But, these collectors need to understand that damaged and repaired items are not going to have a high value down the road. That stamp nystamp says has a catalog value of $140.00, is probably false. I also applaud the true philatelists out there in search of the perfect 100J. For me personally it comes down to economics. I really want to complete my trans-mississippi set of mint stamps, but will never be able to afford a $4000.00 specimen, so I will most likely have to settle for a lower end copy that has probably been repaired. I will not fool myself in believing it has a higher value.

On the point of damage to the hobby, I understand the point and agree. But I would also like to point out, that the shady dealer who preys on the surviving family of a stamp collector, offering to purchase a collection for a small fraction of its worth, has done a significant amount of damage to the hobby as well, leaving people with the impression that the entire stamp collecting effort is a scam.

It has been mentioned that knowledge is your best defense and greatest tool. I agree. I origanlly posted the pic, not because I wanted to buy the specimen, but am trying to educate myself in identifying re-perforations. The example looked off to me as the perforations don't seem to line up all that well. Sorry guys, I'm a noob so don't drag me through he dirt too badly :)
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05