Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Are Some Red Cross Stamps That You Have??

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 383 / Views: 87,105Next Topic
Page: of 26
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
6190 Posts
Posted 06/27/2011   10:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scarce Red Cross overprints on the 1929 Lundy Puffins issue.
Issued in 1940, very limited quantities.

Londonbus1
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
7838 Posts
Posted 06/28/2011   12:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Back on page 3 of this thread, desertgem posted images of Red Cross semi-postal stamp booklets issued by France. Here are images of the complete set of four allegorical "Seasons" stamps, all of which were designed by Pierre Gandon after paintings by French painter Nicolas Mignard (1606-1668), and issued by France (and apparently CTO, as were many French semi-postals.)

- nethryk

PS This is one of those instances where one has to see the stamps close to the size originally intended by the designer in order to fully appreciate their beauty, and so for art's sake, I have elected to also present images of these stamps in a smaller size. - n.

Engraved by Pierre Gandon, and issued on December 16, 1968:

Spring, Scott No. B421, Y&T No. 1580

Autumn, Scott No. 422, Y&T no. 1581.

Engraved by Pierre Béquet, and issued on December 15, 1969:

Summer, Scott No. 423, Y&T No. 1619.

Winter, Scott No. 424, Y&T No. 1620.

Edited by nethryk - 06/28/2011 1:26 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29745 Posts
Posted 09/07/2011   05:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
7838 Posts
Posted 09/07/2011   10:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are images of the four Red Cross semi-postal stamps in a set depicting various provincial coats of arms, designed by Swedish graphic artist Signe "Ham" Hammarsten-Jansson (1882-1970), engraved by Alexander Laurén, and issued by Finland on January 6, 1943, Scott Nos. B54-B57, Facit Nos. 275-78.

- nethryk

Lapland

Häme

Eastern Bothnia

Savo
Edited by nethryk - 09/07/2011 10:18 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29745 Posts
Posted 09/07/2011   10:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Exceptionally beautiful scans.
The third, perhaps be inducted into our thematic
"Family Mustelidae on stamps" I wonder?

That's a Yes:
The otter subfamily Lutrinae forms part of the family Mustelidae, which also includes weasels, polecats, badgers, and wolverines
Edited by rod222 - 09/07/2011 11:24 am
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9747 Posts
Posted 09/07/2011   3:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gussyboy your threads live on..come back to us !!
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 09/07/2011   3:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That Mexico cinderella takes the breath away.

Wait, "I am not a cinderella collector. I am not a cinderella collector." Whew. *deep breath*

Okay, feeling a little better now.
Edited by smauggie - 09/07/2011 4:49 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29745 Posts
Posted 09/07/2011   10:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Whew! that's a relief,
no bidding opposition.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 09/07/2011   10:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I do bid on them at my stamp club (for trading purposes). The last time I did it, though I bid sight-unseen ended up with a sweet little collection of Austrian Notgeld.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 09/08/2011   12:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see that these have been added. The Plus Ultra stamps of Spain (missing high value).

Pillar Of The Community
7838 Posts
Posted 09/08/2011   12:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rod222 - Glad you liked the Finland scans. Also, thanks for the delightful dose of weasel lore.

smauggie - Very nice stamps. I must put those Waterlow beauties on my want list.

Here are images of a couple more Red Cross semi-postal stamps from Finland, also designed by Signe "Ham" Hammarsten-Jansson and engraved by Alexander Laurén, issued on May 10, 1948, Scott Nos. B87 & B88, Facit Nos. 349 & 350.

- nethryk

Zachris Topelius (1818-1898), Finnish author, journalist, historian, and rector of the University of Helsinki who wrote novels related to Finnish history in Swedish.

Johan Ludvig Runeberg (1804-1877), national poet of Finland, who also wrote in the Swedish language. There's a saying in Finland, "speaks like Runeberg," which means that the person speaks extremely well.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29745 Posts
Posted 09/08/2011   11:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Glad you liked the Finland scans

I like ALL your scans

..and one to tease Smauggie

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 09/09/2011   06:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Consider me teased.
Do you have a duplicate?
When was this issued?
Perhaps it was for the French wounded in the DeLesseps Canal effort?
If so it might have been to raise funds for the hospital established in Ancon by an order of French nuns.

Consider me fascinated.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29745 Posts
Posted 09/09/2011   07:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have no idea Smauggie,
I am still working on them,
it seems to have its cynosure with the French Red Cross (Association)?
the cinderellas have a world wide focus
Panama, Teneriffe, mexico, melbourne, Lima etc.

Perhaps they were seeking funds worldwide
for the military in France.
At the moment I have doubts on their authenticity,
maybe poster stamps ?
We need wt1 to do some research :)
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29745 Posts
Posted 09/09/2011   07:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This has some relevence,
at least for the French red Cross in Australia,
yet it seems centred on Sydney

French-Australian League of Help
The French-Australian League of Help held its first public meeting in Sydney in December 1914. Its formation was due to a request from the War Chest Fund for assistance in providing comforts for the troops in France. This followed a November appeal for donations by Madame Georges Playoust, who became one of the first co-presidents.

Money was raised throughout Australia, including country areas, for French troops and their families. A clothing workshop was set up and fortnightly shipments were sent through the French Red Cross in London. Labels "Made in Australia by your friends" were sewn to articles of clothing. Two orphanages, "Waratah" and "Australie", were set up in France. Funds were used also to purchase ambulances.

A headquarters was established in Paris and the league cooperated with French military and civilian charities. Mr Holman, the other co-President, was awarded the Legion d'Honneur in June 1916.

After the war the league assisted in the reconstruction of French towns and farms, particularly in the Ardennes; providing funds to refurnish homes; and buying agricultural machinery and equipment for schools. Hundreds of thousands of pounds were contributed by Australians through the League. One French village changed its name from "Poilcourt" to "Poilcourt-Sydney" in gratitude for the aid received.

The League was re-established during the Second World War.

Page: of 26 Previous TopicReplies: 383 / Views: 87,105Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 9.75 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05