Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question About 1907 Swedish Postmark

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 5,147Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2751 Posts
Posted 09/16/2010   6:00 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Battlestamps to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello All,
I've come across an odd Swedish postmark that has left me perplexed. There is a small town in Sweden called Angra, but what is the TS and the PXP of the postmark mean? Railroad related? Thanks, Will

and the front for nice rustic scene:

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33065 Posts
Posted 09/16/2010   11:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I went through 500 or so of mine, around the same time frame
I have this what looks like "PKXP No 34"
which adds to your query, but doesn't solve it

Subsidiary question whilst on Postmarks
if anyone knows the significance of "TUR"
I did have the info, but I have lost it

(Not my stamp)

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Finland
751 Posts
Posted 09/17/2010   02:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These relateto Swedish TPO's (Travelling Post Offices).

P.K.X.P. stands for Postkupéexpeditioner (literally Forwarding Mail Van). In 1913 the designation was changed from PKXP to PKP (Postkupéer).
Collecting the world 1840 to date one stamp at a time.
Author & owner of Stamp Collecting Blog
Edited by scb - 09/17/2010 02:54 am
Pillar Of The Community
Finland
751 Posts
Posted 09/17/2010   03:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As for Rods question about Tur-cancels ... I think these were used to designate local delivery / mail districts.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33065 Posts
Posted 09/17/2010   05:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Exclellent Excellent scb
(sorry, I was typing whilst eating)

Note: Battlestamps postcard has the Stockholm "TUR" as well.

http://www.nrgx.com/
Edited by rod222 - 09/17/2010 05:14 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2751 Posts
Posted 09/17/2010   05:23 am  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is PXP then some version of PKXP or PKP?
Pillar Of The Community
Finland
751 Posts
Posted 09/17/2010   06:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is PXP then some version of PKXP or PKP?

I recall seeing somewhere that PXP refers to sending by ship/boat. But I could be completely wrong with this one...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2751 Posts
Posted 09/17/2010   06:52 am  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found a nice website that acts as a good starting point for a lot of TPO - Travelling Post Office postmarks:
http://www.tpo-seapost.org.uk/tpo2/tpointro.html

It helped me to identify a number of TPO postmarks. I'll try the ship approach on the PXP and see where I get. Thanks! Will
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5846 Posts
Posted 09/17/2010   1:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Neat cancel. I think the cancel reads ANGBATS PXP which is a steamship cancel.
Italy
4 Posts
Posted 07/16/2015   05:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add maxxdetom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
About the "TUR" in 1901 postmark I cited the Facit Postal VII p. 10 :
"From 1862 when the special Local Post ceased in Stockholm, circular Delivery Postmarks came into use, and these were generally placed on all letters in order to state the delivery-round. The cancelling-stamp was also used for cancelling stamps on local letters".
Known numbers TUR 1-6
Italy
4 Posts
Posted 07/16/2015   05:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add maxxdetom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
About the ÅNGBATS PXP N° 171 is type III below Facit Postal: in the period 1900-02 it was used on the route Stockholm--Dalarö-Utö (s. the picture on card front that confirmed the point of origin).
ABXP (as usually shortened) are Steamship Mail Travelling Post Offices cancellations and are totally different from PKXP (later PKP) postmarks: the were used only on Railway TPO (and later on some Ferryboat routes): in English PKXP (and PKP) is translated with Postal Compartment; each number refers to a specific route and varied frequently, sometimes in the same year too. PKXP N°34 in the period 15.05.1879-31.30.1917 was used on the Stockholm-Katrineholm route but not during some winters.
Edited by maxxdetom - 07/16/2015 06:06 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5846 Posts
Posted 07/17/2015   11:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome. That is some super information. If this has been in my Facit all along, I'm going to kick myself.

Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 5,147Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05