Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Great Brittian Red Pennys?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
750 Posts
Posted 09/17/2010   4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Edwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've heard talk of red pennies. I'm working on some early GB, and found these with different letters on them.

I seem to remember some talk about random letters on these and people would collect their initals? what this that stamp?

anyway, thought I'd share these while I try to figure them out...

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
750 Posts
Posted 09/17/2010   5:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Edwin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The top left I think is a #33, the middle top I thinks is a #3,

However, the top Right is an Imperf on bluish paper (more so backside, and I don't believe the blue is from card stock) didn't really pick up in scan...
having a problem finding that one.

Note: the blue (two pence) is a #30 Plate block #15
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Edwin - 09/17/2010 5:41 pm
Valued Member
United States
428 Posts
Posted 09/17/2010   6:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ldhaber to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Edwin,

On Penny Reds, the letters in the corners are not random, they denote the position the stamp had on the plate (this was done as a security device), much like the Penny Black.

For Penny Reds, there are also letters in the upper corners in addition to the bottom corners. You'll note these (upper letters) are in the reverse order of the lower corners. Again a security device. Apparently there were naughty people who cut stamps in half and pasted the halves that were not marked by a cancellation mark together. This approach to the letters was intended to defeat that strategy.

Some people who collect Penny Reds can thereafter recreate the entire plate or could even do a deal on their own personal initials. I vaguely recalled that perhaps Richard Frajola did an extensive exhibit on his initials, "RF". Having checked, see http://www.rfrajola.com/gbrf/gbrf.htm

Hope that helps,

Larry
Pillar Of The Community
750 Posts
Posted 09/17/2010   6:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Edwin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
zooming in on one set second row, found these, I believe they are #49 A17
number in circle on sides I believe are the plate blocks? they are #7 & #10 a new high value for me $57.50, and $100 (althought the one is damaged in corner.

any one agree with these ID's

Edited by Edwin - 09/17/2010 6:03 pm
Pillar Of The Community
750 Posts
Posted 09/17/2010   7:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Edwin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ok, I found them all EXCEPT, the bottom row.

the 1/2 penny's

FOUND: Australia, Victoria 1 penny I can't find are they a colonies or something? Rod, wake up I needed ya!
Edited by Edwin - 09/17/2010 8:12 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
26487 Posts
Posted 09/17/2010   9:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sbssdjghfkutsa!$#@8&!

Whaaaaa vcsj,vVKCSC!

uH! oK

The LHS is
GB SG0048 (1870) T7 0.5d portrait qv
--------
(I think the postmark 447=Leicester)

---------------

The middle is a GB Postal Stationery Cut out

The RHS is a GB Wrapper cut out.

Hope that's what you wanted
Edited by rod222 - 09/17/2010 10:04 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
26487 Posts
Posted 09/17/2010   9:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

PS Edwin,
broadcasting my nerdy geekiness,
If I were you I would soak off all the selvedge Hinges,

They may join up to be an interesting piece of selvedge

(Told you I was nuts)

Your wrapper is normally like this,
(before it was hung, drawn and quartered)
unfortunately the Scissor Bandit mutilated your wrapper
it may have been of interest as it doesn't
seem to have a "printed matter" postmark

Edited by rod222 - 09/17/2010 9:57 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4106 Posts
Posted 09/17/2010   9:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rod good point..
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
26487 Posts
Posted 09/17/2010   9:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you SV.
Pillar Of The Community
750 Posts
Posted 09/17/2010   10:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Edwin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OMG, Rod... put 40+ year old salvage used for hinges back together? you are nuts there are not enough minutes in a day for that, I just spent the better part of 8 hrs on just 2 pages of early GB... pulled most of my hair out today with all the variations I actually got out my perf/ millimeter gauge thingy and tried to learn how to use it.

it was some serious work today for a newbie like myself! I racked up over $400 in catalog values, so it was really fun to finally catch a break up to today it was always min value...

PS, if your not careful you'll get an envelope full of salvage bits...
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
26487 Posts
Posted 09/17/2010   10:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Edwin,
It is only natural to be in a hurry as a newbie,
it's exciting stuff.
After a while you will realise there is no "end" to philately
It's as broad and diverse as the milky way.

Then you just settle down and enjoy the journey. :)
There's no need to hurry, just stop and smell the roses.
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 09/17/2010   10:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

From eBay.

Aaaaaah.
Pillar Of The Community
750 Posts
Posted 09/17/2010   10:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Edwin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
those smell good, (deep breath, relaxing...)
its not the slowing down, I'm afraid of the piles to come that will overwhelm me.. lol...

Rod,

you make short work out of my 8 hrs sweat... so top right one penny, Imperf, bluish backing,my guess its a version of one of the 1854/1855's how do you tell if something is reingraved

Edited by Edwin - 09/17/2010 10:33 pm
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 09/17/2010   10:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great old stamps Edwin. Thanks for posting.
Pillar Of The Community
750 Posts
Posted 09/18/2010   12:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Edwin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod, I did piece a few of those bits together because I can't stand unanswered mysteries, they are salvage and parts of TB Tuberculosis (Christmas?) stamps.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
26487 Posts
Posted 09/18/2010   12:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bummer
Oh well.

498= Maidstone Kent

I am not an expert on GB, I am an expert on trivia only
best to ask Collin, khj, Nigel or a host of other experts here.

A few pointers first.
These are very intricate issues, and for appraisal you need
very sharp, top of the scale scans, blurry examples
just don't cut it.

My call, guess at best is blued red brown issue 1d qv
The die is indeterminable, because the mouth is not evident

The difference between die 1 and die 2, is due to the fact that
the Queen's head (by Heath) was re engraved by william humphreys,
the lips become fuller (although not so beautiful)
and she appears to "pout"

The scan does not offer anything else I can add.

The more knowledgeable in the group will surely assist here.

PS A very nice nosegay Puzzler!

Edited by rod222 - 09/18/2010 01:03 am
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.51 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05