Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are These Worth What I Paid- 1907 And 1909

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
USA
1744 Posts
Posted 04/11/2008   2:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add gussyboy1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I was at an antique mall the other day, and they had many racks and baskets of old post cards. I paid a dollar each for these because they were the oldest ones there. I like seeing the full flag cancel--so interesting! So did I get a good deal?

Gussyboy1
Send note to Staff
Nobody gets in to see the Wizard. Not nobody. Not No How!"

Pillar Of The Community
USA
3315 Posts
Posted 04/11/2008   2:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add laswabbie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
IMHO, they are worth a buck apiece, but what really matters is "Are they worth a dollar each to you?"
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
USA
1744 Posts
Posted 04/11/2008   2:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gussyboy1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
LaSwabbie, how are you doing? Yes, I like them a lot, and it was loads of fun looking thru the post cards and finding these. I even found about 15 post cards that a guy was writing to someone he wanted to be his sweetheart (they were dated the early 1900's)--I'm not sure if she liked him or not, but they were interesting to read! Bet the Postmaster thought so, too! ha

Gussyboy1
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
3722 Posts
Posted 04/11/2008   6:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dianne Earl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find Gussy
Dianne
Don't grumble that the roses have thorns, be thankful that the thorns have roses
Pillar Of The Community
USA
2736 Posts
Posted 04/11/2008   7:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobgggg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gussyboy1

I have to agree with Greg, If they are worth a dollar to you, you made a good find.

However, IMHO..I think you made a terrific find, The cards show very little aging, nice readable cancels, and finally no rounded corners.

I hope I look that good when I reach 100 years old
A Philatelic mind
is a terrible thing to waste
Pillar Of The Community
USA
1744 Posts
Posted 04/11/2008   9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gussyboy1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everybody! I guess as a newbie, I'm amazed that something that old isn't worth more--a great stamp, great card, and great cancel. I'll learn as I go with your help ,and when I can I'll get some more books--when I go back there I'm looking for some more of the unusual cancels they have.

Gussyboy1
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9741 Posts
Posted 04/12/2008   7:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bobgggg if you are going to live to be a hundred why did you buy that 50,000 dollar mausoleum in Westchester county ???? I told the kids put me in a canvas sack I want to go back to nature ASAP !
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9741 Posts
Posted 04/12/2008   7:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gussyboy if you like the topic of old postal cards or post cards..you might set a target to look for like a certain year or a certain city..it makes it fun to hunt for..there are lots of them around..i dont have any overhead..so I think I could beat a dollar..but I know I always end up looking at postcards when we go to an "antique shop"
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Pillar Of The Community
USA
2736 Posts
Posted 04/12/2008   7:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobgggg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
PhilB

Phil, I purchased that 50,000 dollar mausoleum, for me and my stamp books.

My will states that only me and the stamp books are allowed in the mausoleum.

You know my wife, as soon as I'm gone, she will have an enormous tag sale, or put my collection on eBay.

A Philatelic mind
is a terrible thing to waste
Valued Member
USA
59 Posts
Posted 04/13/2008   12:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add halfabustisbetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A buck per is about the going rate for antique mall postcards. When I get cards with legible addresses I google map the address to see what's there now. I did it with yours, still on the map--I wonder what it looked like 100 years ago?
Pillar Of The Community
USA
1744 Posts
Posted 04/13/2008   9:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gussyboy1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've decided that I'm spending my kids' inheritance NOW
on stamps, FDC's, and postcards!

Gussyboy1
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05