Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Russia Mystery Stamps

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 2,351Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
750 Posts
Posted 09/24/2010   11:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Edwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
These two are what I have left of 70 stamps I did today from russia.

they dont match up with the value/color in my book...

the girl worker looks like a 1929-1931 A109 picture, but NO wavy lines in background, and no correct color/value ???

The male I got no idea closest I got was a variation of a A331

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1927 Posts
Posted 09/24/2010   11:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Triggersmob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my simplified SG catalogue, they appear to be SG1214b (Factory Girl) and SG2253 (Furnaceman)

Steve
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 09/25/2010   12:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Edwin, I think you will find these correct,

Stanley Gibbons
SG727f 10kopec blue factory girl w/o factory in background
SG550 30 kopec violet and lilac ditto
SG2253 60 kopec red furnaceman

Edited by rod222 - 09/25/2010 12:07 am
Pillar Of The Community
750 Posts
Posted 09/25/2010   12:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Edwin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
O no are those Stanley Gibbons Catalogue numbers? if so what was the year you found those in I only have scott's maybe that's the reason they might not be in my inferior catalogs?

GREAT you edited and added years Thanks!
I'll add them to those years, strange I still cant find them in Scotts... O well, ther are in the borders for now of those years thanks.
Edited by Edwin - 09/25/2010 12:25 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6744 Posts
Posted 09/25/2010   03:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe Steve's original ID of the first stamp was correct, as it appears to be black color, not blue.

In the Scott catalog, the stamps (from left to right) are:

616B(1952)
2288(1958)
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 09/25/2010   03:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes indeed,
I see my mistake SG1214b it is.
Thanks for the heads up khj

Strange number 1214b would relate to a
date around 1946 for gibbons.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6744 Posts
Posted 09/25/2010   03:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Steve is the one who found it. I'm using the SG online catalog, and not very good at it. I would never have found it in the online catalog if Steve hadn't mentioned it.

Quote:
Strange number 1214b would relate to a
date around 1946 for gibbons.

The set was issued/reissued with changes in denominations and colors so many times, I don't think either SG nor Scott had any place left to stick them. For instance, Scott 616, 616A, 616B were actually issued over a span of ~15years!
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 09/25/2010   03:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK. ...Thanks Steve! :)
I certainly had this stamp unlisted,
or rather, listed incorrectly.

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1927 Posts
Posted 09/25/2010   04:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Triggersmob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It was coincidental that I just happen to have that catalogue out of the library at the moment and I am sorting Russia.

Steve
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 09/25/2010   05:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The blue and the black.

One paper seems to have yellowed in one example due to
perhaps heat in storage somewhere in its history.

Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 09/25/2010   09:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Note the size differences in the designs too.
BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 09/25/2010   10:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That may be a difference of scan resolutions BeeSee.
And perhaps the amount of area I scan before cropping.

Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 09/25/2010   10:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well the size of the perfed area looks the same.
BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6744 Posts
Posted 09/25/2010   11:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod, I believe the stamp at right is a reissue with smaller design (14.5x21mm) and a slightly different color shade. It is mentioned in Scott, but not assigned a different catalog number.

Russia reissued several small definitives from 1954-1956 in the smaller size. These are mentioned in Scott, but again, they are not assigned Scott numbers. Some of these were printed in a slightly different color shade.
Edited by khj - 09/25/2010 12:18 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 09/25/2010   8:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Certainly, but you have identified one of the pitfalls
of scanned images, both scenarios are / could be true,
I accept that this issue may come in differing sizes
(BeeSee's suggestion may be true with comb perforation)
but with line perforation the size of the physical stamp
can differ tremendously, that's how we get US "Jumbo"
stamps.
Something to be aware of, without trusting the scanned image too much.

I have just posted 2 apparently differing sizes
of the Argentine Riviedera stamp, I think this stamp
may have an identical printed size.
Pillar Of The Community
750 Posts
Posted 09/25/2010   8:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Edwin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
WOW... I generated some good info here, wish I was not stranded in a hotel and back at home to look up those new #'s and I'm glad I'm not the only one thatwas having issues. for me those seemed simple but were very hard.

I was also having issues with the early ones that looked like (was it finland?) I think I was having a mix of finland and russian stamps that was a real test!

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 2,351Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05