Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Philatelic Discussions (Non Country Specific)
 Main Stamp Collecting Forum
Share this topic!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

Living Persons Appearing on Past US Postage Stamps

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

wt1
Pillar Of The Community

United States
9823 Posts

Posted 10/26/2011  10:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

There's been a lot of recent media attention given to the USPS decision to allow living persons to appear on US Postage Stamps.

Such action prompted this recent news article suggesting that living persons were (perhaps inadvertently) depicted on US Postage Stamps in the past, although I don't believe this is a conclusive list:

Quote:
Published October 25, 2011, 11:30 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/articl.../group/News/

Lind: Stamps of the living nothing new
By: Bob Lind, INFORUM

It was reported recently that the U.S. Postal Service has a long-standing rule that stamps cannot feature people who are still living.

Wrong, says Louise Bakken of Fargo. She says many stamps have featured living people over the years. Some of them were residents of North Dakota.

One of the most famous is a 1990 stamp showing Dwight Eisenhower talking to paratroopers just before the D-Day invasion. One of the troopers is Bill Hayes, who was from Fargo.

Bill made it safely through the war, then returned to Fargo where he worked for Sears and for the U.S. Department of Agriculture. He died in 2006.

Then there was the Trans-Mississippi stamp of 1898 that had Evan Nybakken, of Cass County, on it; that stamp was shown in a recent Neighbors column. And in 1962, a stamp honoring the Homestead Act showed John Bakken (no relation to Louise's husband) and his family standing by their sod house near Milton, N.D.

All of these people were living when the stamps were issued.

But then, Louise writes, many other stamps had living people on them. Among them: the stamp featuring the Times Square sailor-kissing-nurse picture on V-J Day; the Iwo Jima flag-raising stamp, issued when some of the men were living; the stamp showing the astronauts walking on the moon; well, the list goes on and on.

There you go, neighbors. You can't lick Louise's postage stamp argument.

After reading that article, I wonder what other US stamps may have depicted living persons on them? I'm thinking of stamps issued for Scouting, Space, and/or Olympics, but I suppose the argument could be made that the images were intentionally anonymous and not directly depicting any specific living person.

(By the way, I don't recall having heard the story before about the person depicted on the Trans-Mississippi issue of 1898.)

Send note to staff

stallzer
Pillar Of The Community
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!

United States
3317 Posts

Posted 10/26/2011  10:16 am  Show Profile Check stallzer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I was under the impression that the only other living person to be depicted on a Stamp was Jefferson Davis.

Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

raywrio
Pillar Of The Community

United States
805 Posts

Posted 10/26/2011  10:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add raywrio to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

stallzer, good point but he belonged the CSA not the USA. Or am I just splitting hairs here.

Russ
Pillar Of The Community

United States
2543 Posts

Posted 10/26/2011  10:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Russ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The distinction here is that no living person has been horored with a stamp but many living persons has been in the subject of the stamp. The 1898 2 cent Trans-Mississippi "Farming in the West" was from a piture reportedly taken the previous year, many of the people would have be alive. The Iwo Jima stamp was released while 3 of the flag raisers were still alive. Many people in the 1945 army and navy issues have beeen identified. There was also a story about the man in the automobile for the 4 cent Pan-American of 1901.

Russ
Pillar Of The Community

United States
2543 Posts

Posted 10/26/2011  10:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Russ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The 4 cent Pan-American showed a 1901 Columbia belonging to B&O Railroad showing 2 people on the front and Samuel Hege as the passenger.

Picture used

Detail of passenger

Detail of plate proof of vignette

Russ
Pillar Of The Community

United States
2543 Posts

Posted 10/26/2011  11:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Russ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Photgraphic models for Army, Navy and Iwo Jima

Russ
Pillar Of The Community

United States
2543 Posts

Posted 10/26/2011  11:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Russ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

And, lastly, the 2 cent Trans-Mississippi

raywrio
Pillar Of The Community

United States
805 Posts

Posted 10/26/2011  11:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add raywrio to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Russ, by chance do you know when the picture of the sailor's was taken and from what ship they were aboard?

wt1
Pillar Of The Community

United States
9823 Posts

Posted 10/26/2011  11:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I believe 9/11 newspaper accounts will confirm the names of living individuals who appeared on this US Stamp:

Russ
Pillar Of The Community

United States
2543 Posts

Posted 10/26/2011  11:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Russ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Ray, all I have is that the picture was taken at the Naval Air Station, Corpus Christi, Tx by Bob Towers in early fall of 1942. But you might check this link:
http://www.stampcommunity.org/topic...chTerms=navy

wt1
Pillar Of The Community

United States
9823 Posts

Posted 10/31/2011  2:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Just came across another US stamp that purportedly depicts living people on a US Postage Stamp. This time from 1952:

Cjd
Pillar Of The Community

United States
4845 Posts

Posted 10/31/2011  2:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

This thread is now the longest and most comprehensive list I've yet seen. Interesting stuff.

Of course, it is missing an obvious one...

jamesw
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
5162 Posts

Posted 10/31/2011  2:44 pm  Show Profile Check jamesw's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Umm, cjd. Unless you're getting your news from the National Inquirer or News of the World, that date on the stamp, 1977, indicates when Elvis died. Doesn't really qualify as a 'living person'.

Cjd
Pillar Of The Community

United States
4845 Posts

Posted 10/31/2011  3:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Yeah, that's what they want you to think...

(My tinfoil hat is itchy today, too. They must be beaming out lots of messages this afternoon.)

jamesw
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
5162 Posts

Posted 10/31/2011  3:11 pm  Show Profile Check jamesw's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

wt1
Pillar Of The Community

United States
9823 Posts

Posted 10/31/2011  11:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Here's another one I found in an edition of Boys' Life Magazine. I imagine the names of the boys pictured are known to the BSA even if it isn't part of the article:

Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.26 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05