Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!Subscribe to Linn's Stamp News!Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 World Stamps and Covers Discussions
 World Picture Postcards

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

Second Agricultural Exhibition in Windhoek, German SW Africa

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PostmasterGS
Pillar Of The Community

Portugal
1136 Posts

Posted 12/27/2011  8:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

I love getting back from an extended vacation and finding goodies in my mailbox!

Here's a rare one -- a private postcard issued in German Southwest Africa to commemorate the Second Agricultural Exhibition in Windhoek, 20-21 June 1902.

I was pleasantly surprised to find this on eBay. I wasn't even aware it existed until after some heavy digging -- it's not listed in Michel, Borek, or Einfeldt (though it IS in Frech's Privatpostkarten Katalog!).

Unfortunately, this copy doesn't have the exhibition cancel, but it's a nice find nonetheless.

Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945

Edited by PostmasterGS - 12/30/2011 8:14 pm
Send note to staff

Chief.Fontenot
Valued Member

United States
62 Posts

Posted 12/30/2011  8:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chief.Fontenot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Super nice find there I'm green with envy :) I don't believe I have seen this one either in the books or on eBay. I don't have any GSWA posties either, but I did manage to find a few nice oldies on eBay this week *crosses fingers* maybe I will win them tonight.

Chief

Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

Chief.Fontenot
Valued Member

United States
62 Posts

Posted 01/02/2012  1:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chief.Fontenot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Well I was sniped at 15 sec left in the auction. I really thought I was "over paying" for the posties, but I guess someone wanted them more than I did. Most of the time when it comes to cards I'm more of the subject matter than the actual CV of the item. If it has a really good event or historical date tied to it then I will also up the bid a bit. It seems there have been a great deal of lots on eBay the past few weeks on cards. Many with nice WWI or WWII photo cards or political cards, but I guess there are just as many people out there that collect on the same ideas as I do.

Chief

philb
Pillar Of The Community

USA
9738 Posts

Posted 01/02/2012  5:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Chief I told this story before but I will again...we were at a flea market and my wife was looking at a box of 25 cent postcards..she pulled out a card with a small kaisers yacht on it and asked if I wanted it...i said ok...turned out it was a German New Guinea with a Seapost cancel..i sent a scan to a fellow who was bidding on similar material on eBay and he sent me a check for $150.00 ! That will teach certain post card dealers who put foreign post cards in their junkboxes !

APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853

PostmasterGS
Pillar Of The Community

Portugal
1136 Posts

Posted 01/02/2012  6:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

One thing I've learned about collecting German Colonies is to never write-off any card or stamp as worthless or of minimal value without doing my homework. There were many small post office scattered through remote areas of the Pacific and Africa, some of which were only in existence for days or weeks. Cancels for some of these are extremely rare.

Consider these (and no, I can't claim ownership!)

Two identical stamps -- German New Guinea Michel 9.

The first was canceled at Rabaul, and the second at nearby Buka about 11 days prior.

The first can be had on eBay for about 5. The second is only seen at auction about every 10-15 years -- most recent I know of was at Vogenbeck Auktion about 10 years ago. Final hammer price -- 11,250.

Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945

PostmasterGS
Pillar Of The Community

Portugal
1136 Posts

Posted 05/14/2012  4:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

In the mail today, two copies of this card with the rare exhibition cancel! They're probably of philatelic origin, as they were both mailed to the same person.

Rileysan
Pillar Of The Community
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!

United States
2629 Posts

Posted 05/15/2012  12:10 am  Show Profile Check Rileysan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Rileysan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Any plans to hit the exhibit circuit with these? You have some really nice stuff!

PostmasterGS
Pillar Of The Community

Portugal
1136 Posts

Posted 05/15/2012  08:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Not really. For one, I've never even been to a show, so I wouldn't know where to begin. And second, I'm moving to Japan in about a month, so exhibiting would be complicated for the foreseeable future.

But thanks for the compliment! I sometimes feel like I'm collecting backwards -- I still have a lot of holes in my basic German collection from about 1872-1932, but I spend most of my time and money finding the more off-the-wall, buried-in-a-footnote stuff.

PostmasterGS
Pillar Of The Community

Portugal
1136 Posts

Posted 05/15/2012  8:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I just noticed something. The exhibition handstamp is spelled wrong -- "Austellungsplatz" instead of "Ausstellungsplatz".

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.44 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05