Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 World Stamps and Covers Discussions
 World Classic Stamps Mint and Used
Share this topic!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

Franco Bollo Postale- Real or Not?

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ikandiggit
Valued Member
Canada
48 Posts

Posted 04/27/2009  12:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ikandiggit to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

I have a couple of these that came in a collection that I bought. It has a semi-glossy finish to it, a gummed back and is unused. I found some examples on different web-sites that date it to 1867 Roman States. The one I have is "imperforated" and one site gives it a value- unused $40 and used $334.50.

Needless to say I'm thrilled

If I'm in error, let me know. I'd appreciate help from those more knowledgeable.

Send note to staff

Jan-Simon
Valued Member

Netherlands
333 Posts

Posted 04/27/2009  03:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jan-Simon to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Sorry to say this, but it looks like a very crude forgery to me.
And I know I should be checking the catalog first before saying anything, but shouldn't the centisimi issues be perforated?

Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

khj
Pillar Of The Community
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
5672 Posts

Posted 04/27/2009  04:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Sorry, definitely a fake.

In another thread, I mentioned that early Persia and Roman States are dominated by reprints/counterfeits/forgeries.

khj
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5672 Posts

Posted 04/27/2009  04:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sorry to say this, but it looks like a very crude forgery to me.
And I know I should be checking the catalog first before saying anything, but shouldn't the centisimi issues be perforated?

You were correct in identifying it as a forgery. And your memory isn't too shabby...

first issue (1867) imperforate
second issue (1868) perf 13

perforated reprints, usually but not always perf 11.5

ikandiggit
Valued Member
Canada
48 Posts

Posted 04/27/2009  07:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikandiggit to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks. I had a feeling about this one. It seemed too perfect and the finish didn't seem right. It stood out from all the other stamps in the box. I also have a few Persian stamps that I'll have to have a look at.

khj
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5672 Posts

Posted 04/27/2009  11:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Be prepared for a big headache if you want to weed your Persian stamps. Many of the overprints are quite crude (in terms of quality), so sometimes it's hard to say if it's a fake overprint or just a lousy genuine overprint. On some issues, numerous reprints exist, but in many cases the reprints were unauthorized. But since the reprints were made from the original "stones/plates", sometimes the only way to distinguish is the color shade or paper (both difficult to do based on scans alone).

Of course, some collector enjoy weeding their Persian stamps, so enjoy...!

svetlina12
1 Posts

Posted 10/04/2010  4:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svetlina12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hey guys ,
what about those stamps,fake too?

Edwin
Pillar Of The Community

750 Posts

Posted 10/04/2010  4:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Edwin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Stamp Virgin, did you send me fake Roman states?
mine are all perforated, I'll scan them tomorrow when I'm off

I want my .07 cents back,

Edited by Edwin - 10/04/2010 4:57 pm

Cjd
Pillar Of The Community

United States
4845 Posts

Posted 10/04/2010  11:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Stamp Virgin, did you send me fake Roman states?

I wonder what the record is for shortest APS membership duration in history?

Anyone know if you get your entire membership fee back if you're drummed out in your first quarter? They probably prorate...

C.

Edwin
Pillar Of The Community

750 Posts

Posted 10/05/2010  10:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Edwin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

HAHA.... I wouldn't do that... we all know what we get for .01 a stamp...

I was just poking him in he ribs a little..

stampvirgin
Pillar Of The Community

United States
4103 Posts

Posted 10/05/2010  11:00 am  Show Profile Check stampvirgin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

edwin.. you got the perfed variety so stop complaining

cj that is not even funny...

Edited by stampvirgin - 10/05/2010 11:02 am

joliferi
Valued Member
8 Posts

Posted 04/05/2013  2:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add joliferi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hello, I have this stamp in a very good condition.
What the marker value this stamp?

stallzer
Pillar Of The Community

United States
3314 Posts

Posted 04/05/2013  6:58 pm  Show Profile Check stallzer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Looks to me like a reprint

joliferi
Valued Member
8 Posts

Posted 04/06/2013  01:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add joliferi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I make a photo today, this picture just a link.

khj
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5672 Posts

Posted 04/06/2013  02:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Yeah, I noticed the delcampe at the bottom of the pic.

You need to provide the pic of YOUR stamp, because the great majority of these stamps are either reprints or forgeries.

philb
Pillar Of The Community

USA
9732 Posts

Posted 04/06/2013  08:34 am  Show Profile Check philb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Don't mean to be a wet blanket..but I believe that the reprints and fakes also have some value..fakes,reprints whatever I still filled a few spaces in my Roman States !

APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05