Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Old German Stamp Not In Catalogue

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 2,302Next Topic  
Valued Member
Australia
426 Posts
Posted 09/26/2010   7:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add peterethio to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Since reading all the good stuff that is posted here I've been inspired to go through a box of unsorted German stamps. I came across this one which doesn't appear to be in Michel. Does anyone know anything about it? Is it a real stamp?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1694 Posts
Posted 09/26/2010   7:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Ganszachenausschnieet als Freimarken Verwendet" Mi # GAA6 or GAA14 at the end of Thurns & Taxis before Retourmarken.

***Offer removed***
Established members may not make any reference to a new member under 50 posts involving buying, selling or trading.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by revstampman - 09/26/2010 7:55 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2757 Posts
Posted 09/26/2010   7:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add warrehouse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It appears to me that it may be a cut to shape from an envelope/sheet let.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2981 Posts
Posted 09/26/2010   7:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi peterethio,

This is a cut-out from a Thurn u. Taxis envelope. There were a number of similar envelopes issued from 1861 to 1865.

revstampman's correct thtat there's a picture of a similar 2 kreuzer value in Michel under the heading "Ganzsachenausschnitte als Freimarken verwendet" (right at the end of the Thurn u. Taxis listings) but don't get too excited about the high prices quoted there as they are for cut-outs used as adhesives on piece or cover.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1694 Posts
Posted 09/26/2010   7:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Correct, off cover they are only a dollar or 2.
Valued Member
Australia
426 Posts
Posted 09/26/2010   8:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add peterethio to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. I'm stunned. I only posted this less than half an hour ago and here is the answer!! Sorry revstampman but I only have one copy. The way these are kind of embossed made me think they were not cut outs (see scan of the back below - if you can make it out).

I've got another one, this time from Wurttemburg with almost an identical design. I assume it is a cut-out too.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1694 Posts
Posted 09/26/2010   8:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes that is correct. The difference is that I do not believe they were ever valid for postage when removed from the envelope.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 09/26/2010   8:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Interesting thread.

"Thurn and Taxis" Germanised spellings of the original
Italian family names of "Torre et tasso" = "Tower and Badger"

There is a board game out there called "Thurn and Taxis"
a postal strategy game.

Thurn and Taxis Courier

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1694 Posts
Posted 09/26/2010   9:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"Thurn and Taxis"
a postal strategy game

A Postal Strategy Game ?????????????
Oh, I got it the 1st person to deliver the Mail without Misdirecting, Bending, Folding or Eating it wins.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 09/26/2010   9:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...rn-and-taxis

The loser has to don a orange plastic mac,
board a sturdy 100cc tinpot
and head out into the traffic.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5774 Posts
Posted 09/26/2010   10:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rev, please...if it is a postal strategy game, then clearly the one who misdirects, bends, folds and eats the most, wins.

Not to go back to the David Letterman well too often, but one of his regular guests on his old NBC late show was Princess Gloria von Thurn and Taxis, a waitress who had married the Prince von Thurn and Taxis and promptly tried to spend his billions living the life of a New York socialite. Truly bizarre stuff.

And lest you think those crazy eighties are gone forever, didn't Wall Street 2 just open this weekend?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1694 Posts
Posted 09/26/2010   10:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
if it is a postal strategy game, then clearly the one who misdirects, bends, folds and eats the most, wins.

I do remember the "Princess".
Edited by revstampman - 09/26/2010 10:25 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 2,302Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05