Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stamps With Tape Damage Removal "Take One"

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 0 / Views: 9,684Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
750 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010   10:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Edwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Ok, alot of you like me got a great deal from StampVirgin lots of fun stamps with the the known problem of Scotch Tape on them.

Lots of them looked fair, some were really bad shape. I decided that I would experiment on a few of the really bad ones setting up my own little operating table. anyway, here is what I tried so far I think I have room to improve the process as I learn what works and what does not.

NOTE: I'm doing this with stamps that are beyond repair and hopes of saving... copycats are at own risk, with a high stamp death rate predicted, long-term affects on stamps unknown.

First I soaked the Taped stamps for 4 hrs in room temp water, at this point 80% of the very old and yellowed tape separated easy, 20% caused minor to severe damage removing

Second after I removed the tape barrier I rubbed each back with my finger to remove stamp gum and occasionally some of the old tape gum would come off.

Third I re-soaked the stamps for another 2 hrs to try to soften gum little success with that, I'm drying a batch to see picture tomorrow.

4th, I took 3 stamps heavily damaged by tape gum, and laid them face down on a paper plate and rubbed a Q-tip with small amounts of nail polish remover over the gummed areas, (I believe I was a little too aggressive with this step next test I will use less remover and force)

**One stamp bled its color onto the paper plate leaving a ghost mirror image.**

I then resoaked the stamps in water rubbing backsides with finger to get the polish remover out, notice the discolored (white/clear) stamps even while completely submerged in water (where ever the nail polish remover touched the stamp it started to become translucent)

after this rinse I placed them face down on wax paper, and paper towel on top and pressed for 4 hrs to dry.

once dried the translucent problem went away, I dont know the long term effects of this, like I said it was a test on stamps that were deemed expendable!

After first 4 hrs of soaking the tape removed, see it on side that shiny on stamp is the tapes GUM

Stamps back in soak after nail polish remover used, (one bled its ink!)

Ink left by one stamp on the paper plate during nail polish rub

End result, the middle looks worst in the picture then it is

next time I'll try to better document it as it was on the fly with out thought of telling anyone
Send note to Staff
Edited by Edwin - 09/28/2010 10:46 pm

Previous TopicReplies: 0 / Views: 9,684Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05