Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

British South Africa Company 1909

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,569Next Topic  
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 10/15/2010   7:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wt1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Where might I find catalog information on this block of stamps? Zimbabwe? Southern Rhodesia?

The cancellation appears to read Salisbury, S. Rhodesia (12 December 1909).
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 10/15/2010   8:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can't tell you where Scott puts it, but Gibbons lists it under 'Rhodesia'. It's SG 81, priced at 80p each in the 2011 Gibbons.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 10/15/2010   9:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Here is my stamp album listing hiearchy for Africa,
some missing, some unnecessary
but a guide to some name changes
Ciskei is at the bottom because I spelt Africa with a K

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4106 Posts
Posted 10/15/2010   10:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rod. I sure hope your hard drive never crashes.
Pillar Of The Community
750 Posts
Posted 10/15/2010   11:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Edwin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
AMEN Stampvirgin,
Rod you should send us all DVD backups!
Edited by Edwin - 10/15/2010 11:29 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 10/16/2010   01:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Rod you should send us all DVD backups!

Edwin, that's so 1990's

I have a second HDD, slumbering in the background
I "copy" to that once a month.
35 Gig takes about an hour.
I backup whilst watching "House"

Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 10/16/2010   01:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This area can be complicated for the philatelist. Technically the British South Africa Company should not be listed under Rhodesia, it should be under its own heading. At it's height, it covered an area of what is now Zimbabwe and Zambia.

Here is a chart of the historical divisions.

Note that British South Africa Company Stamps were used in Southern Rhodesia until 1923, and Northern Rhodesia until 1924. Then they got their own stamps.

With the unification in 1953, all three territories used stamps inscribed Rhodesia & Nyasaland.

When the Federation collapsed in 1963, they all issued stamps again, then after independence, they all issued more stamps under their new names.
BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 10/16/2010   02:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Found it! Listed under "Rhodesia (British South Africa)" in Scott WW Catalog as Scott #63.

Thanks all, for your help.
Valued Member
Australia
426 Posts
Posted 10/16/2010   05:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add peterethio to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a very helpful diagram BeeSee. Got any more? I collect Africa and have trouble with the name and area changes.
Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 10/16/2010   11:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Peter, I am working on charts like that for all of Africa (and the world) for my AWN (All World's Nations) collection I am trying to build. I will post as I complete. I am also drawing maps showing the changes in AutoCAD so they can easily be printed on my album pages.

The chart above was actually pulled from Wikipedia.
BeeSee in BC
Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 10/16/2010   2:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I created a PDF of my stamp issuing chart for British South / Central Africa, it can be downloaded here:

http://brcstamps.com/stamp_charts/B...mp_Chart.pdf

If you see any errors, let me know.
BeeSee in BC
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,569Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05