Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Thematic : Elephants.

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 422 / Views: 142,968Next Topic
Page: of 29
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35828 Posts
Posted 08/28/2012   11:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's the famous Thai King Naresuan,
whom had many battles with the Burmese.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
7838 Posts
Posted 09/03/2012   06:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are images of two stamps depicting an elephant and a parrot, printed by photogravure, and issued for use in Rio Muni on June 1, 1966 to benefit the children's welfare fund, Scott Nos. 56 & 57.

- nethryk

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2547 Posts
Posted 09/03/2012   11:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Russ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bechuanaland Tati Concessions from an eBay listing

Edit: The final price was $408.00
Edited by Russ - 09/07/2012 12:21 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5919 Posts
Posted 09/07/2012   12:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not surprising...even singles frequently pop over $100. (Or at least they used to...I've not looked much lately.)
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35828 Posts
Posted 09/07/2012   02:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Being ignorant of the "Tati Concessions"
this is wiki's advice:

The Tati Concessions Land was a concession created in the borderlands of the Matabele kingdom and the Bechuanaland Protectorate. The concession was originally made by the Matabele King to Sir John Swinburne. It was administered from the Bechuanaland Protectorate after 1893, but after 1911 was formally annexed to it, finally becoming a statutory creature by its first piece of legislation, the Proclamation Number 2 of 1911 by the High Commissioner of Bechuanaland. It was locally administered by a Justice of the Peace. The chief town of this region is Francistown, now one of Botswana's major settlements. The latest Act governing and regulating this Concession is that of the TATI CONCESSIONS LAND ACT 1970

The most controversial provision in this act can be found in section 6 of the above-mentioned, which states that "The right to all minerals and precious stones under the land in the Tati District is reserved to the Tati Concessions, Limited, and also the right of prospecting for and working the same." The effect of this section is that Mineral rights are bestowed unto this body, which is contrary to Botswana Governments desire for all Mineral rights in the Country to devolve in her (as can be seen from Section 3 of the Mines and Minerals Act of 1999 which is to the effect that all minerals within Botswana, with exception to Tati Concessions, is the property of the Republic of Botswana.

CHRONOLOGY :

1864: Gold is discovered in Tati River area, then part of the Matabele kingdom.
1872: Concession granted to Sir John Swinburne (b. 1831 - d. 1914), he later acquires most other concessions.
1893: Tati Land detached from Matabeleland and placed under the jurisdiction of the British Resident Commissioner of the Bechuanaland Protectorate.
January 21, 1911: Annexed to Bechuanaland (now Botswana) via the Tati Concessions Land Act, with a special agreement to preserve rights of access for Rhodesian Railways (now the National Railways of Zimbabwe).
The Tati Concessions, Limited was formed by Swinburne and given the right by the British Government to issue its own Revenue Stamps in the 1890s for use on legal instruments.

Valued Member
India
182 Posts
Posted 09/09/2012   01:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add our_elephant to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Russ for posting the Tati immage, the price was around $ 150 till last moment and rose to $400+ on last 30 sec.
Sorry I havent posted for long time being a sailor I was on ship.. This is the latest addition to my collection..

Any one interested in exchanging elephants...
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35828 Posts
Posted 09/09/2012   03:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Like human toddlers, great apes, magpies and dolphins, elephants have passed the mirror test—they recognize themselves in a mirror.

Pillar Of The Community
7838 Posts
Posted 09/09/2012   07:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
our_elephant - Very nice! Welcome ashore again.

Here is an image of a stamp depicting an elephant & some friends, printed by photogravure, and issued by Japan on June 3, 1994 to publicize "Environment Day," Scott No. 2243.

- nethryk

Valued Member
India
182 Posts
Posted 09/09/2012   8:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add our_elephant to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another elephant, an ivory craftsman making a rally of elephants on ivory..

Valued Member
India
182 Posts
Posted 09/10/2012   10:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add our_elephant to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi friends! Bought a cover and it reached me yesterday.. I am not sure whether the rules of thematic exhibit allows me to use this cover as it is only an advertising cover. Cover is dated 06-02-1930

The cover is interesting and is sent from an elephant trainer Mr.G.R.Schroeder to a performing artist Ms.Adele Nelson who was married to an elephant trainer and specialized in performance related to elephants.. I made some search about Mr.Schroeder and Ms.Nelson, and wanted to share it with you..
-------------------------------------------
Photo of her performance

This is a unique version of the elephant teeter-board. "Myrtle" would mount the board with all four feet then walk ahead slowly past the fulcrum until it was tipped forward. Miss Nelson would then step on the board facing the elephant and on cue, "Myrtle" would take one big step backwards with the above results.
------------------------------------------------

Adele Nelson with "Myrtle", "Tillie" and "Jennie". Miss Nelson from the celebrated Nelson Family of acrobats was married to noted elephant trainer Louis Reed whom she met when he was in charge of the herd with Sells-Floto. Their combined talents produced one of the top acts of the day, in fact this picture was taken shortly after their return from England where they had been featured with the Bertram W. Mills Circus in 1929-30.
-----------------------------------------------------
I couldn't find their location in Berlin at any time, if you can get any details please share it with us..
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1997 Posts
Posted 09/10/2012   10:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jubilee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gambia KGV group

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5919 Posts
Posted 09/11/2012   12:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is it possible that the Gambia and Sierra Leone definitives haven't been shown yet?

Nah...didn't think so. Nevertheless, let me again point out the similarities in the design with the elephant over the palm tree. Sorry if you're tired of hearing about it...

Anyone know if this was just a readily available design element, or whether it has some particular mythology in Western African lore? (I'm guessing the former, but I'm thinking out loud about something akin to the eagle eating a snake on the site of Mexico City.)
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1997 Posts
Posted 09/11/2012   02:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jubilee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know the answer re the elephant and palm tree, but the two countries aren't that far apart, so there may be something in the local tradition. Both sets were printed by De La Rue, so maybe something in that too?

I suppose you've spotted the dot to the left of the "1" in the left value tablet?
Valued Member
India
182 Posts
Posted 09/11/2012   07:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add our_elephant to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Since both the stamps were printed by same press, they would have followed the same designs .. every thing is similar, the elephant (its posture with trunks up to same height), the palm tree (slight difference is there), the mountains behind, the bush in front of elephant etc.. there is lots of similarities..
Valued Member
India
182 Posts
Posted 09/11/2012   10:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add our_elephant to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Laos 1958 issue..

Page: of 29 Previous TopicReplies: 422 / Views: 142,968Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05