Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Let's Talk About Machins

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 29
Valued Member
Ecuador
144 Posts
Posted 06/12/2019   05:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add novato to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not know happened. maybe the years, but have I become more selective?
Although I knew that the cut were the ones I was looking for, I was only interested in those that were very clear as the image above shows.
I have discarded thousands of stamps, looking for booklets / coils when a few years ago it was not so complicated.
so a stamp with cut can be long or short, inventing a new expression here.

thank you, scotzm and bookbndrbob
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1670 Posts
Posted 06/12/2019   06:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Image of a pane from the Stamps For Cooks booklet. Your stamp would be from the top row as the top is cut and the other sides would be torn... CTTT
Valued Member
Ecuador
144 Posts
Posted 06/20/2019   08:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add novato to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ok, before I had no problem in putting these machins, like sheets, now I have doubt, for me they should all be from booklets?
from left to right, they are:
1.CB.2CB.3.2B.4.2B.5.2B

Collect: Used stamps from Great Britain, Australia, Japan. used Australia KGV Heads. Used Australia Roos. Used Great Britain Queen Elizabeth II Heads (Machins)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1205 Posts
Posted 06/20/2019   1:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. They all seem to have at least one side that has been cut. None seem to be from coil strips.
1. TTTC
2. TTTC
3. CTTT
4. TTCT, could be TCCT
5. TTTC
For those not familiar with this terminology, T=torn, C=cut, on sides 1 through 4, respectively. Side 1 is top, going clockwise from there.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2375 Posts
Posted 06/20/2019   4:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are most booklets just sheets cut along one or more edges?
Al
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1205 Posts
Posted 06/20/2019   5:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes, but not necessarily. Here are some examples of booklet pane layouts containing 1/2p Machins:

(Images from the Deegam handbook)

Each layout is different, not just simply printing a sheet of same denomination stamps and slicing into booklet panes.

Robert
Edited by Trainwreck - 06/20/2019 5:26 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1535 Posts
Posted 06/20/2019   6:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Robert,

I just finished my 1/2p the other day. I even had a LB!! I'm using Adminware Novice. Your writeup showing TTTC, etc is very helpful and informative. I have been working Machins almost exclusively for the last week.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1205 Posts
Posted 06/20/2019   6:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jack,
Your 1/2p LB could only have come from the fourth booklet pane I showed above, lower right corner, position 6. Deegam assigns a value of 25-50 GBP (for mint). Nice.

Robert
Edited by Trainwreck - 06/20/2019 6:22 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1535 Posts
Posted 06/20/2019   7:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Robert. I will double check it. Very helpful (again)

Jack
Valued Member
Ecuador
144 Posts
Posted 06/20/2019   8:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add novato to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you for your messages. I have seen thousands and thousands of machins, and I never found a p Left Band, or a 10p greyish orange narrow, or a 26p red narrow, or a 25p salmon pink non elliptical. you are very lucky to have one.

tomorrow I'm going to post 3 stamps 2p green that I found quite strange.
Collect: Used stamps from Great Britain, Australia, Japan. used Australia KGV Heads. Used Australia Roos. Used Great Britain Queen Elizabeth II Heads (Machins)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1205 Posts
Posted 06/21/2019   07:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
or a 25p salmon pink non elliptical

I'm on the lookout for a decent used example myself. I have a mint example, but want a used one to compliment it.

Robert
Valued Member
Ecuador
144 Posts
Posted 06/21/2019   10:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add novato to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1.non phosphor, narrow value, from sheets, present a white glow after long UV. It's a headache to classify you're two because they have different colors

2.2b, weird looking after 10x it seems that the whole image is distorted

3.2b, has a green line on the bottom

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
687 Posts
Posted 06/21/2019   1:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There's a bit of info about one of my unusual-looking 2p stamps on page 21: http://goscf.com/t/10785&whichpage=21
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1535 Posts
Posted 06/23/2019   4:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK Gang,

I just pulled out my Lighthouse 20-40 portable microscope and I do believe I see some fibers on the side that I thought to be trimmed. This stamp came out of a collection where the owner identified it as a left band 1/2p machin. I took it as gospel. It still looks like a LB but I am not sure if it is a booklet stamp.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
687 Posts
Posted 06/23/2019   5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The left band only came out in a booklet pane.
Page: of 29 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.05 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05