Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mutawakelite Kingdom Of Yemen

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4642 Posts
Posted 12/07/2019   11:39 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tim - I think you have the Yemen earlies - any chance of some pictures? I picked up a range a few years ago, chiefly from c1958-64, including some later Republican and Royalist issues. These are from the 1959-62 period:

(This page missing the 1959 air-mail issue):

The UN set of 7 November 1962 was the first and last issued under the nominal rule of the new Imam, Mohammed al-Badr. After a rebel attack on 26 September 1962, a republic was proclaimed on 27 September and the Yemen's UN seat was given to the new government on 20 December. The Imam set up an HQ in north-west Yemen.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
1118 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   05:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here you go, Geoff. This is more-or-less complete up to the point where you start, apart from a few of the provisional surcharges from 1949 and 1953, which I'm still on the lookout for. My favourites are the high value "watermelon" designs of 1940, but the selvages in the 1947 Paris printings are to die for. They look even nicer as full sheets.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4642 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   06:16 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Tim, this is a wonderful display. I particularly like the home-made look of the first issue. Presumably, for the later issues, foreign printing firms persuaded the Imam that what he really, really wanted were some attractive sets that could generate a little foreign currency, although you don't see enough of these to suggest that big inroads were made into the philatelic market. Philatelic hokum, of course, but beautiful in design. Thanks again.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2861 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   06:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tim and Geoff, thanks for sharing such nice stamps.

Many of these I've not seen before outside of the catalogue.

I have examples of two of the 1926 issue which I'll post here later.

Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2861 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   07:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My Yemen collection is rather sparse but I do find the stamps and the history of the country fascinating.

Here are my examples from of first issue in 1926. I don't have any SG 1 stamps.

Yemen SG 2 - 2 bogaches black on orange - mint block of four:

Yemen SG 2 - 2 bogaches black on orange - used vertical pair:

Yemen SG 3 - 5 bogaches black on white - used vertical pair:
Nigel
Edited by nigelc - 12/09/2019 07:42 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
1118 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   08:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nigel, that's a nice multiple of SG2, and Sana'a negative cancels.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28441 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! beautiful stuff. The Turkish material was bang on, learning a lot from that. Has become a great thread.

Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05