Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Railway (Train) Stations On Stamps

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 104 / Views: 22,874Next Topic
Page: of 7
Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 11/25/2010   10:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BeeSee to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
There is a thread for trains and locomotives, so here is one for Railway Stations on Stamps.

I will start with my latest Picture postage stamp design featuring Valois Train Station in Pointe Claire, Quebec. It is over 100 years old and still in operation.

Link to trains:

http://goscf.com/t/2055&SearchTerms=trains

Send note to Staff
BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Edited by BeeSee - 11/25/2010 10:21 am

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
531 Posts
Posted 11/25/2010   4:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moonbird to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi BeeSee. Sad Western story.

A Western town - province and town to remain nameless - was established as a rail service centre. I am a heritage buff, and when I moved there I discovered a photo of the old railway station which was beautiful. It had been knocked down and replaced with a hideous brick structure. But the station master's house was still in the town. I thought - well at least some of the heritage of this place is intact. Then one day while I still lived there the fire dept. burned it down for a training exercise.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5774 Posts
Posted 11/25/2010   4:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Russia, from a beautiful set of four, all depicting station interiors. This, unfortunately, is CTO, but the mint set is out there, and readily available. If anyone has the set without the junk cancels, they would be nice to see. When I find a set for a few dollars, I'll be picking one up.
Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 11/25/2010   6:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, that is quite a design, CJD! It would be nice to see the rest.

Moonbird, your story reminds me what happened to the original train station built in 1910 in Sullivan, BC (now part of Surrey). After passenger service was discontinued in the 1950's the small structure was removed and the hut part was hauled away in a truck and became a chicken coop!

It was eventually found and acquired by a heritage society. It was beyond restoration, but a replica station was made near the original site. However the original hut portion is on display near by.

Here is a photo of the original Sullivan Station from the Surrey archives. I am not sure of the year it was taken.

I will definitely get a photo of the restored station and make a stamp!
BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Edited by BeeSee - 11/25/2010 6:06 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2547 Posts
Posted 11/25/2010   6:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Russ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BeeSee, Nice picture
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
2573 Posts
Posted 11/25/2010   10:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add timbres667 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Monaco Europa 1979

Edited by timbres667 - 11/25/2010 10:17 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3719 Posts
Posted 11/25/2010   11:23 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi! BeeSee
I really thought that we only had trains in Aust dec.
But a quick look proved me wrong.
To me this is a difficult topical.
But a very interesting one. KGV
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5774 Posts
Posted 11/25/2010   11:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the other three designs...

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5774 Posts
Posted 11/25/2010   11:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This link to a blogspot site maintained by a postcard collector shows three Moscow station interiors. You'll see that the stamp designs are not a complete fabrication...

http://thewholeworldatyourhands.blo...-russia.html

Pretty neat.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2547 Posts
Posted 11/25/2010   11:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Russ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So many train stations are so historic. My first time in New York's Grand Central was overwhelming. I am disappointed the the U.S. has not issued a stamp for it.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4990 Posts
Posted 11/26/2010   12:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder how many thousands of Gulag slave labourers died
building the beautiful Moscow subway.
Valued Member
Australia
426 Posts
Posted 11/26/2010   06:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add peterethio to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can't find any railway station overprints
Maybe someone else can help?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 11/26/2010   07:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Belgium:

Nord Railway Station

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 11/26/2010   07:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Can't find any railway station overprints

How about a railway station cancel?

India:
Patiala:

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 11/26/2010   08:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Railway Station : Poland

Locomotive "PY27" at Knin Railway Station:
(other stations in this set including Katowice)

Romania : Gara de Nord Railway Station:

Russia:

Moscow Underground:

Kiev Railway Station:

Edited by rod222 - 11/26/2010 08:13 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 11/26/2010   08:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Just an image.
There is a railways parcel stamp with this railway on it
but it is scarce, and I am still searching for it.

I post the image because it is the genesis of the name
of the Greatest Rock Band in the world:
Grand Funk Railroad.

Page: of 7 Previous TopicReplies: 104 / Views: 22,874Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 3.59 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05