Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Farming/Agriculture On Stamps

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 247 / Views: 63,923Next Topic
Page: of 17
Valued Member

United States
54 Posts
Posted 12/11/2010   12:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add T.J. to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
i am a new collector and plan to start out with farming as a topical collection.several people on here have given me alot of good advice so far.

what I have learned so far : there is no checklist for this topic.
so I guess i'll have to do it the hard way and do alot of research.

it was also suggested to me to post a topic about this to get an idea of what is out there (from other countries)

does anyone else collect this as a topic? if so, any advice y'all have would be appreciated

thanks,
T.J.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5774 Posts
Posted 12/11/2010   12:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What components are interesting to you? Stamps that depict the act of farming, like a plowman in a field? Or the trappings of farming, like the US Wisconsin stamp depicting a barn? Or animals typically found on a farm, like the prize bull on philb's avatar (from Argentina)? You could go many different ways with this.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3719 Posts
Posted 12/11/2010   05:55 am  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
T.J.

There is a lot of Australian stamps on farming.

Just a couple of ways I would like to farm. KGV
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29760 Posts
Posted 12/11/2010   09:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
i'll have to do it the hard way and do alot of research.

welcome to philately then :)

Philately begins where the catalogue ends.
just enjoy the journey.
I'd suggest with a broad topic like farming, you have a vast
field to harvest.
Just plod along and save and collect and research,
and after a while, you'll find you make your own parameters
and your collection will grow and be refined.

Join a stamp club and let them know you collect farming
and people will assist from time to time.

Just to get you going

"down on the farm"...Ozzy

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29760 Posts
Posted 12/11/2010   09:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

You may refine your "farming" topic to a country,
perhaps a particular crop, a particular animal,
a particular style, the opportunities are endless,

Start with collecting everything farming and let the
growing collection indicate what direction to follow.

A more traditional Aussie.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29760 Posts
Posted 12/11/2010   09:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Meet Jack Laity,

possibly the face of country Australia.

Jack was a "Rabbiter", now grows vegetables
at home for others.

"Faces of Australia" set.

On occaisions, we have had "Rabbit plagues"
in country Australia, where virtual "seas" of rabbits
dash to and fro as you drive through them on the highway.
Considered vermin in times as these.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
2573 Posts
Posted 12/11/2010   11:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add timbres667 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Canada Scott #271

Combine

In this set #268 is farm scene but I don't have it.
Edited by timbres667 - 12/11/2010 11:31 am
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 12/11/2010   11:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't forget to look out for the 2011 Stamp for Kansas Statehood set for January 2011 ... they say it may be a "Forever" stamp, as shown, rather than a denominational (44c) one:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2479 Posts
Posted 12/11/2010   11:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tomiseksj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
T.J.,

Scott 1005 (15Jan52) and 1024 (13Oct53), U.S. counterparts to Australia's Young Farmers' Clubs in Rod's post -- stamps related to youth programs might be a subtopic for you to pursue.

Steve
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
2573 Posts
Posted 12/11/2010   11:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add timbres667 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Iceland #866

Agricultural tools
Edited by timbres667 - 12/11/2010 11:53 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1361 Posts
Posted 12/11/2010   12:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AnthonyUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some tractors from Pakistan

Pillar Of The Community
USA
9747 Posts
Posted 12/11/2010   1:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow ! What a topic to work with ! get the required 50 posts here and you will have people to help you...one of our stamp club members is a veternarian..he only wants cattle on stamps !!
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9747 Posts
Posted 12/11/2010   1:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wt1 thanks for showing the forever stamp with the old and new windmills...anyone have a used copy my wife could use one until our Red Hook post office ever decides to order them
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
737 Posts
Posted 12/11/2010   4:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ryan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rhodesia released a series of commemorative stamps in 1968 to celebrate hosting the World Ploughing Contest. I had never heard of such a thing, but it turns out it is still a going concern. Canada is a major player in these events, having hosted both the inaugural contest and the 50th anniversary event, along with hosting it in other years.

Everybody off to Sweden for the 2011 competition!

http://www.worldploughing.org/

Ryan

Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
Posted 12/11/2010   4:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add T.J. to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks everyone for the help and advice.i really appreciate it.

my plan is to collect any and everything having to do with agriculture.i thought about breaking the albums into categories....livestock,tractors,field scenes-crops,etc.
i plan to start with chickens - including the 1982 state birds and flowers from Delaware (Blue Hen Chicken) & Rhode Island (Rhode Island Red chicken)

it also looks like my collection will contain alot of stamps from Australia - i'm glad there are several people on here that are from Australia.it looks as though I am going to need alot of help.

again thanks for the help and pics of some great stamps.

T.J.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29760 Posts
Posted 12/11/2010   8:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Ryan,
world ploughing championships New Zealand

(and the Oscar :)

In an obtuse tangent TJ
I recall an English Stamp of a Farmers meal
"The Ploughman's lunch"

Page: of 17 Previous TopicReplies: 247 / Views: 63,923Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 7.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05