Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Viking / Norse Mythology As A Topic

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 85 / Views: 40,226Next Topic
Page: of 6
Valued Member

United States
54 Posts
Posted 12/12/2010   9:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add T.J. to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
i have always been interested in Norse mythology (crazy from someone from Alabama - I know )and while thumbing through the only stamp book I have - a 1990 edition USPS guide book - I came across 3 stamps #620,621, & 1359.that got me to thinking about another collection.

i know we have a worldwide membership here so how many stamps are out there with this theme?are there any stamps that have Odin or Thor from Scandinavian countries?

any help would be appreciated.
T.J.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3793 Posts
Posted 12/12/2010   10:09 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That part of the world is totally amazing.
Yes I would line up to see that collection. KGV
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
Posted 12/12/2010   10:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add T.J. to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
KGV,

you know with all the help you and some other people have given me that hail from Australia y'all have inspired me to check into stamps from there too.

T.J.
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9747 Posts
Posted 12/12/2010   11:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
T.J. I was just going to show a scan of a Bavarian plow man..but you switched gears...the Isle of Man has quite a few stamps showing their connection with Norway !

APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
Posted 12/12/2010   11:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add T.J. to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
philb,

didn't mean to switch gears on you.the farming is going to be my #1 priority but while thumbing through the book the Norse idea srung up.

post away on the Bavarian plow man

T.J.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33085 Posts
Posted 12/12/2010   11:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I have a database of Vikings on stamps TJ

an excel sheet if you care for it.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3793 Posts
Posted 12/12/2010   11:38 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod I can not remember the thread properly but it had something to do with ships or boat building. We had a great time and it went into Viking area.
I was hoping that you would post here. John
Valued Member
United States
31 Posts
Posted 12/13/2010   12:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add barstoll to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've never been a Topical collector, but the idea of a Norse/Viking collection sounds nice. I like the mythology a lot. But, being a US collector, I have no idea where to look for stamps from other collectors.

I'll take a look around the internet and report back if I find anything interesting.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33085 Posts
Posted 12/13/2010   03:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Anybody know how to use "insert list" here

I can copy the Vikings excel sheet here
it is only 62 stamps.

Learn More...
United States
4728 Posts
Posted 12/13/2010   10:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
ROD: Anybody know how to use "insert list" here

First, don't use the "quick reply" box at the bottom of the page, use Reply to get the full edit box that you see when creating a new topic.

The "Insert List" link won't do what you expect -- it makes a "bullet list" (the name borrowed from HTML coding).

Instead try using the # Insert Code button. In HTML, Code means a fixed-width font like Courier. If you've ever tried to line up columns using spaces, it makes you crazy because they never line up even.

You can copy your block of rows and columns from Excel then paste it between the CODE and /CODE tags and the columns will align properly.

KirkS
Valued Member
Spain
266 Posts
Posted 12/13/2010   6:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AndrewF31 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Scandinavian countries presently issue a common series every few years about Norse Mythology in small souvenir sheets.
There's a few Viking ship stamps out there from the same countries (mainly Norway, Denmark and Faroe Islands).

I collect Scandinavian stamps and have yet to find a stamp with Thor or Odin.
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
Posted 12/13/2010   7:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add T.J. to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rod222,
yes I am interested in the list.if you cant get it posted here please email it to me.thanks!

AndrewF31,
thanks for the info.i appreciate it.

barstoll,
how goes the search?find anything interesting yet?

thanks everyone,
T.J.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33085 Posts
Posted 12/13/2010   7:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks Kirk,
I tried but couldnt get it to work.

Valued Member
Ecuador
159 Posts
Posted 12/13/2010   7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add novato to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello

Yes, sir.

The Scandinavian countries are in the list for many collectors, in all my trade when a player said, canīt help you with that list, I ask for Finland/Sweden/Norway stamps. Now I donīt ask any more, canīt afford 3 more countries

But, sure a lot of people are looking for engraved stamps, not for "Vikings" :)

Iīm wondering what of that three countries Finland/Sweden/Norway have more vikings?

Fernando Moscoso
Ecuador
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5108 Posts
Posted 12/13/2010   8:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Andrew, you will be hard pressed to find stamps
with Odin or Thor but Viking ships and such are available.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5108 Posts
Posted 12/13/2010   9:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Iīm wondering what of that three countries Finland/Sweden/Norway have more vikings?

Fernando I think you meant Denmark/Sweden/Norway since
the Finns do not have a Viking heritage.
You could also add Iceland though.
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 85 / Views: 40,226Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05