Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cover Calendar For Month And Day -Pics

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,063 / Views: 339,251Next Topic
Page: of 138
Pillar Of The Community
3660 Posts
Posted 03/28/2017   12:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Re: Orleans cover. Some clerk saw the Cambridge and sent it toward Cambridge, Massachusetts, rather than Cambridge City Indiana. It was discovered to be missent while being sorted on the "BOST. & ... / R.P.O." line and was so marked. It may or may not have ever gotten as far as Boston before heading back west.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2659 Posts
Posted 03/28/2017   12:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the partial back stamp of the Orleans MISSENT. Doesn't look like it made to Boston. I like The Boston RPO negative 6 cancel.

Edited by littleriverphil - 03/28/2017 12:59 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2659 Posts
Posted 03/28/2017   10:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A couple of covers in today's mailbag, one from each county.
Mendocino Mar 28 1887;

And Fields Landing up in Humboldt;

Edited by littleriverphil - 03/28/2017 10:45 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2659 Posts
Posted 03/30/2017   09:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A single cover from Fort Bragg today showing the earliest known use of
MEN-1260, Fort Bragg's second recorded town postmark.
The Williams postmark book list Men-1260 as EKU Apr 30, 1888 and the LKU as JUl 30, 1890. This cover is postmarked Mar 30 1888 (per clear receiving back stamp)

A few day ago I closed the deal on a matching cover, should be here in the next few days..

Edited by littleriverphil - 03/30/2017 09:48 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2659 Posts
Posted 03/31/2017   11:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One final march cover, a stamped entire, with a corner card.
Rohnerville was Eel River, an early Humboldt county post office (Sep 4 1857-Jan 26 1874) when the name was changed to Rohnerville, which became a branch of the Fortuna PO on Nov 30 1959.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2659 Posts
Posted 04/06/2017   09:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A new to me cover from Fort Bragg featuring a Hotel cc, rather scare item of the time and area. Also this is one of 3 cover from the same hand. And the 2nd with a hotel CC, suggesting a salesman visiting the coast. The cover may seem familiar, because just last week I posted the one of the 3 cover that does not have a hotel cc but was a new EKU of the town postmark. A slightly odd coincidence? here.. The 1st of these 3 covers ( postmarked Mendocino), also a Hotel CC, was mailed one year and one week before today's cover.

I could not erase the pencil scribble, but did manage to lighten it quite a bit. Here are all 3 covers, in reverse order.

Fort Bragg April 9 1889

Mendocino Nov 21 1887

Fort Bragg Mar 30 1888

Valued Member
United States
88 Posts
Posted 05/11/2017   07:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paulyann to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a few of my Hindenburg LZ 129 Flight from May 11, 1936

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2659 Posts
Posted 05/13/2017   5:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great group! We don't see the Hindenburg flights as often as the zeppelins. Horrific end! Nice seeing some National Parks got the ride.
Edited by littleriverphil - 05/13/2017 5:31 pm
Pillar Of The Community
2223 Posts
Posted 05/14/2017   06:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sant Feliu de Llobregat (Catalonia) 13/05/2017: XXXI Philatelic Exhibition.125 aniv. of the local singers' group.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2740 Posts
Posted 05/14/2017   1:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
May 14th.
Looks like a stamp was gobbed onto the front at some point. Shame, pretty neat cover otherwise. Love the Patent Cancels.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2659 Posts
Posted 05/14/2017   9:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
May 14, 1912 Point Arena High School corner card. Mom's dad was a sophomore that year.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2659 Posts
Posted 07/14/2017   10:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Whew! Time to dust off this old thread. I've been adding new covers, just the wrong dates, however, I found this little beauty on eBay the week of my birthday with a low BIN price. So, I did.
This cover was misspent to Covelo, 60 miles north of Ukiah, Covelo sent it back 30 miles south of Ukiah. But, the Covelo office forgot to mark the front of the cover MISSENT, as required.

Edited by littleriverphil - 07/14/2017 10:17 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2659 Posts
Posted 09/27/2017   12:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Two months and two weeks since my last post in this thread.
Assuming the above cover was mailed while the first class rate was still 3 cents, would make the Covelo CDS a new EKU. Listed as Nov 17 1883

Today's cover is from Rohnerville in Humboldt County. Rohnerville was Eel River, which opened on Sep 4 1857 and became Rohnerville Jan 26 1874. One of Humboldt's earliest post offices
The postmark is William's # Hum-4350, Rohnerville's second CDS and their first "town and county" CDS, and is a new Early Known Use. Listed as used between Aug 1 1879 to May 19 1881 this date is 11 months earlier. In the William's book, the postmark Hum-4350 is shown with what appears to be a duplexed circled solid star, as you can see in my Sep 27 1878 example the star is circled but open.
On the back of the cover is an auxiliary handstamp of the Ukiah Cal post office (in purple) that doesn't make sense unless the last letter is an over inked C.

Mrs Emily Preston continues to be a treasure trove for me, even if Mrs. Kellog didn't get Emily's name correct. This cover being the fifth cover addressed to her, all of them postmarked in color, two of them are EKUs.
Seems that Mrs Preston's office was also part lab, all 5 cover have these same stains and spots.

Edited by littleriverphil - 09/27/2017 12:46 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2659 Posts
Posted 09/29/2017   5:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I showed this Rohnerville official business cover last year. Postmarked with Hum 4360, the town's third CDS and second with town and county. Didn't have the SEPT 27 1878 then, and thought they should be seen together, since I can show them.

Edited by littleriverphil - 09/29/2017 5:59 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2659 Posts
Posted 10/17/2017   09:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Forgot to post these two newly acquired covers in August on their mailed on dates. Picked them up in April, and noticed yesterday that I didn't post them on their mailed date.
Both covers are from Mendocino county. Finally found a Sylvandale cover! Complete with 4 page letter. The office was opened Apr 29 1911 and closed Sep 30 1918. California Postmaster Compensation shows Sylandale reported $110.00 for 1911.

The other cover is from Caspar, mailed Aug 6 1888, it bears Caspar's town and county double oval postmark MEN-510 and is also from Mr. H.B. Phillips. I have 5 of these covers with MEN_510 postmarks, all from H.B. Phillips.

Page: of 138 Previous TopicReplies: 2,063 / Views: 339,251Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05