Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Us Slogan Cancels

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2547 Posts
Posted 05/05/2011   4:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Russ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
International Postal Supply Co. Model D42. 1924 was first use in Chicago.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 05/05/2011   5:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. Still a relatively early use for a slogan cancel that was used through the 1940's. It seems to me that airmail was still in its infancy in 1926.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2547 Posts
Posted 05/05/2011   5:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Russ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wt1, this cancel was used in Chicago until 1946, a long run for a slogan cancel.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2547 Posts
Posted 05/05/2011   5:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Russ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wt1, this cancel was used in Chicago until 1946, a long run for a slogan cancel.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
548 Posts
Posted 05/06/2011   1:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fincbob2451 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello everyone, Here are a few slogan cancels I have come across. I don't collect them either but do like having them in my collection.
Thanks
David

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2653 Posts
Posted 06/10/2011   10:18 am  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5877 Posts
Posted 06/10/2011   10:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like the Citizens' Military Training Camps one. This was an attempt by the US government at creating a body of citizens (men) that would be combat capable with an eye toward recruiting them. The program didn't last long as participation rates lagged somewhat, and only a rather small percentage of camp participants joined up with the military.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2547 Posts
Posted 06/10/2011   11:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Russ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
David,
The first is a 3rd class Texas Pan-American Expo from International Postal Supply Co. Model D42
Second is Perry International Postal Supply Co. Model D43 (Nice cancel).
Third is Universal (machine 3) Model DS400
Last is a Bomar STL04-19b (Machine 4) International Postal Supply Co. Model D40

Nells250,
International Postal Supply Co. Model E42 (machine 3)
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 06/10/2011   11:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

This one isn't so much a slogan cancel as it was attached to a stamped "slogan" about being carried by horse from point A) to point B) but I can't locate it at the moment

here are some slogan cancels and just odd ones from my stock book/ singles.

Philatelic exposition cancel

"Fairplay men declare independence under Tiadaghton Elm Tree"
In my birthplace Jersey Shore Pennsylvania on July 4th 1776 we wrote our own declaration of freedom and sent it to the capitol unknowingly the same day as the actual declaration of independence was signed. Information didn't travel as fast back then but the mood was rife with freedom and the charter the Fairplay men drew up is a testimony to that. This local cancel from Zip 17740 Jersey Shore PA. was used for the week of our annual town meeting in 1976.

Edited by I_Love_Stamps - 06/10/2011 11:25 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6369 Posts
Posted 06/10/2011   5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
here's a few

New York 300th Anniversary

New York Worlds Fair

Santa gets help from the Mailman

Philatelic exhibition, already shown on another thread

In the spirit of Paul Revere, buy defense bonds

Give blood during the war

Revamped ten years later

I thought interesting only because it was canceled on both New York and Toronto.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2547 Posts
Posted 06/10/2011   9:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Russ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
James, My database is not real good on recent (Post-1950) cancels but here a little info
First is International Postal Supply Co, Model E26,
Second is International Postal Supply Co, Model E42 (3rd class).
Third is International Postal Supply Co, Model D30
Fourth is International Postal Supply Co, Model D26.
Fifth is International Postal Supply Co, Model E42.
Sixth is International Postal Supply Co, Model D26
Seventh is International Postal Supply Co, Model E42.
Eigth is International Postal Supply Co, Model D42 (NY) and Toronto Universal.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2653 Posts
Posted 06/12/2011   12:52 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6369 Posts
Posted 06/12/2011   10:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a couple more

A spacey looking United Way

200th anniversary Germantown Academy 1759-1959

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 06/12/2011   11:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that United Way logo looks "spacey" but in reality it's supposed to depict a feather (actually a red feather).

The evolution of that organization started with the Community Chest, later changed to the Red Feather Society, then the United Fund, and finally the United Way, as it is known today. The slogan cancel is supposed to depict the combined Red Feather and United Way logo. I think some local United Ways still use the term "Red Feather" to identify certain levels of donors.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6369 Posts
Posted 06/12/2011   11:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OH! Thanks wt1, I had no idea of the history of the United Way. Now I see the feather. Here I thought it was some futuristic depiction, like an atom or a planet or something (although how that would relate to the United Way I have no idea).
Always learning from stamps!
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.48 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05