Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Us Slogan Cancels

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7
Pillar Of The Community
United States
538 Posts
Posted 07/08/2016   10:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ciletaliph to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

POTTERY
FESTIVAL

FLORIDA STATE FAIR
FEBRUARY 5 - 16
TAMPA, FLORIDA

CENTENNIAL
CELEBRATION
AUG. '85- MAR. '86

OHIO THEATER
GOLDEN JUBILEE
1928-1978

FIFTIETH
ANNIVERSARY
U.S. NAVAL RESERVE

SAVE
YOUR VISION
WEEK

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
538 Posts
Posted 07/08/2016   11:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ciletaliph to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
QUALITY IS OUR
POSTMARK - ZIP + 4
WILL GIVE YOU MORE

GOODWILL INDUSTRIES
OUR BUSINESS WORKS
FOR DISABLED PEOPLE

FAA CERTIFICATION
ASSURES AIRCRAFT
SAFETY 1927-1987

GIVE
TO THE
MARCH OF DIMES

DEFEAT
MUSCULAR DYSTROPHY
SUPPORT MDAA

SERVING AMERICA
UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE

FOR
BENEFITS
ON EARTH
NASA
Valued Member
United States
224 Posts
Posted 07/09/2016   2:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
24 Posts
Posted 07/09/2016   6:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mudrat.detector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The earliest slogan cancel I have.

Valued Member
United States
24 Posts
Posted 07/09/2016   10:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mudrat.detector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Fair was originally scheduled for 1903 to celebrate the Centennial of the Louisiana Purchase of 1803, but because of the large size of acreage (1,272 acres) and delays in building, the opening was postponed until 1904. One of the major delays in construction occurred in 1903 when flooding along the Mississippi River and other low lying areas brought a halt to the project. This resulted in the 1904 St. Louis Fair commemorating the acquisition of the vast territories known as the Louisiana Purchase. The Fair started on April 30, 1904 and ended on December 1, 1904.

In all there are about 18 different cancels associated with the Fair.

[ http://www.wichitastampclub.org/worldsfair.html ]

There are two types shown here. One type reflects the original 1903 scheduled opening. Each is cancelled in Jan. and in Apr. of 1902. The other type, with the omission of the "1903" text, reflects the realization that, due to the flood, the fair would not take place until 1904. And it is cancelled in Feb. of 1904.

Edited by mudrat.detector - 07/10/2016 12:28 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
865 Posts
Posted 07/11/2016   2:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's something you don't see too often: a misspelling on a slogan cancellation. There's only one T in "Christening."

Pillar Of The Community
United States
538 Posts
Posted 09/06/2016   10:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ciletaliph to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Two meters with slogans from Canton, Ohio, my hometown

The Hall of Fame Game this year was cancelled do to poor field conditions. The stadium is being torn down and upgraded.
The Pro Football Hall of Fame construction cam link below.

http://www.profootballhof.com/tom-b...ruction-cam/
Pillar Of The Community
United States
865 Posts
Posted 09/12/2016   8:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are several that I discovered in dollar boxes at the APS Portland show.

Pillar Of The Community
631 Posts
Posted 09/13/2016   07:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Glenn Estus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am the editor of The Vermont Philatelist. We are just beginning a series which eventually will illustrate all the machine slogan cancels from the state of Vermont. The listing is in alphabetical and chronological order. The first installment is Barre (pronounced Barry) and part of Bennington.

For the most part, there are no more machine cancels in Vermont except at the two sectional centers in Burlington and White River Junction (which also serves part of northern NH)

Eventually the listing will be part of the Vermont Philatelic Society's website http://www.vermontps.org

Pillar Of The Community
2116 Posts
Posted 09/13/2016   09:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
631 Posts
Posted 09/13/2016   2:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Glenn Estus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John Becker: Thanks very much for the illustrations of the two Vermont machine slogans. I had no record of the "FIGHT TB AND OTHER RESPIRATORY DISEASES" and it's not in the Machine Cancel Society's listing of Vermont material that I received a few years ago. Always nice to add to my listing.

I have found that many "postal historians" neglect modern material. I wonder if one of the reasons that they concentrate on older material is that even though the material may be more pricey, it's not that hard to find. You might not be able to own it yourself since it might be in some one else possession, but at least you know about.

To me the modern material is more challenging. No one has usually researched or written about it, so those of us who collect such material actually have to do some homework and not rely on others. In my editing of The Vermont Philatelist, I have actually had people complain that modern material isn't worth spending the time on. They only want to see classic material in TVP. My answer has been, "if we don't note it now, who will in 30 or 40 years."

BTW, I have a friend who is also named John Becker. He's one of the top Olympic memorabilia collectors in the country.
Pillar Of The Community
1322 Posts
Posted 09/13/2016   5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A page from my Hap Arnold Exhibit featuring a cover with a WWII patriotic meter slogan:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
538 Posts
Posted 09/16/2016   10:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ciletaliph to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Nice slogans everybody, and a great cover blcjr!

A good looking meter and slogan, Louisville Ky. 1940.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2649 Posts
Posted 08/29/2017   6:37 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26611 Posts
Posted 08/29/2017   8:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Research Triangle Area.

Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05