Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Slogan Cancels

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 131 / Views: 27,587Next Topic
Page: of 9
Valued Member
United States
6 Posts
Posted 07/03/2020   06:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add xbolts to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
PLEASE DON'T STOP POSTING--MANY WATCHERS--I WILL POST IN THE FUTURE AS SOON AS I GET MY SCANNER WORKING? THANK'S FOR ALL YOUR POSTS-
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
223 Posts
Posted 07/03/2020   2:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gslaten to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Okey dokey.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
57 Posts
Posted 08/02/2020   07:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AnimatedFDCs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just joining this topic. I have always thought slogan cancels were a very interesting topic to study and exhibit that really doesn't cost a lot of $$$. But it is fun and interesting and as this thread shows there is so much to study. I have shown three from my collection. I have a pretty large specialized collection of these advertising slogan cancels from the 1939-40 New York World's Fair. These cancellations were used at several post offices around New York to publicize the 1940 season on the Fair.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1169 Posts
Posted 11/15/2020   8:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are three later slogans I picked up recently.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1169 Posts
Posted 12/18/2020   6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a nice slogan cancel from Greenfield, Michigan. The font doesn't look standard, though, I'm wondering about the legitimacy of this post office. Greenfield Village, adjacent to Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, is a re-created 1890s town -- but no one actually lives there. If I recall, Ford moved Edison's early laboratory to the site, hence the postmark.

Pillar Of The Community
3523 Posts
Posted 12/18/2020   6:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The signature is George H. Neisler

Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
Posted 12/18/2020   6:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostalHysteria to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My undertanding is that the Edison postmark is a hand cancel, not machine
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1169 Posts
Posted 12/18/2020   10:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So, was the Greenfield postmark more of souvenir cancel?
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
Posted 12/18/2020   10:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostalHysteria to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, a big celebration was held that day. A web search containing these words

greenfield edison golden jubilee october 21

turned up several interesting online websites.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31907 Posts
Posted 12/18/2020   10:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sure looked like a machine cancel to me,
https://www.goldbergcoins.com/m/lot.../lot/148495/
Pillar Of The Community
3523 Posts
Posted 12/18/2020   11:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rod222 raises a good point for discussion of machine vs handstamp.

The literature attributes this to a handstamp, and I agree. With only 1 copy at hand, the quick glance might say "machine", but when several copies are compared it becomes more obvious that this is a handstamp. Here is a copy I had handy:

Clearly the postal clerk did a good job of making good impressions which generally resemble a machine. Now having 3 scans posted, one would expect near-identical cancels if this were a machine, however:

1. All cancels from a machine would be parallel to top edge and the same distance down from the top. The cancel on my example is too low and angled, and essentially impossible to feed and get a low impression.

2. The horizontal displacement of the cancels should also be nearly identical as each mail piece passes through the feeding mechanism of the machine. This is not exhibited with these 3 examples either. I do suspect the clerk aligned the hand-held cancel against a jig block to get many of them very close to parallel, but the left/right consistency is not there.

Additionally, the font and style of the dial does not come close to matching any then-current machine.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31907 Posts
Posted 12/18/2020   11:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nicely explained John,
Once again it did not occur to me distance from top, although you answered that a few days ago.

I thought the circular date stamp dodgy, and the cover you have shown,
indicates the handstamp well, with the slip of the bars.

Pillar Of The Community
3523 Posts
Posted 12/18/2020   11:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, the bars on my example are wonky. No doubt this device is made of rubber, but still not quite sure how they managed to make the impression they did!
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31907 Posts
Posted 12/19/2020   12:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but still not quite sure how they managed to make the impression they did!

I was considering that too, I must say quite a good effort, the dial as you call it, as well.
Some sort of reverse moulding.
Australian modern "click" and press cancellers are rubber I think.

Making a rubber stamp...
bKvj2fDWiSs

Edited by rod222 - 12/19/2020 12:04 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1169 Posts
Posted 12/19/2020   5:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
George H. Neisler was postmaster of Dearborn, MI, not specifically "Greenfield". So I think this was probably more like a show cancel for the event. But why they went to the trouble of making a hand cancel look like a machine cancel is puzzling. Maybe to give Greenfield Village the appearance of a real town?
Edited by GregAlex - 12/19/2020 5:07 pm
Page: of 9 Previous TopicReplies: 131 / Views: 27,587Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05