Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Books Pictured On Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 237 / Views: 44,802Next Topic
Page: of 16
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 05/09/2011   2:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Old Austria revenue of some sort.

There is that funny battle-ace sort of thing that someone (Rod?) told me about years ago and I have forgotten about already, a sword, a leaf dagger or a fountain pen, a time-piece? and a book, but who is that funny looking fellow in the center bottom?

And is this one of those stamps with a leaf copied to act as the background to prevent forgery?

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 05/09/2011   3:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2972 Posts
Posted 05/09/2011   3:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperdude to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Puzzler.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
865 Posts
Posted 05/11/2011   4:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spanishmoss to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Two more I found today:

Pillar Of The Community
Romania
886 Posts
Posted 05/11/2011   5:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wadmalatz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Puzzler, that`s an 1854 revenue (later issues -1858,1859,1863 etc. are without C.M=Convertions Münze). The axe is hidden in a bundle of sticks- that`s the `fasces`- carried by the (body)guards (called lictors) of the magistrates in ancient Rome. The figure is a `putto`, commonly used in the Baroque, it has no specific meaning, just an ornament.
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 05/11/2011   6:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, good to know and review what I had forgotten. That's the trouble with the putto, I start looking for hidden meanings and of course I will find them everywhere, even where they are not. Thanks again.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1227 Posts
Posted 05/17/2011   01:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mhc99 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
7838 Posts
Posted 04/23/2012   07:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Printer, 15th century, designed by German graphic artist Walter Brudi (1907-1987), printed by typography, and issued by (West) Germany on May 5, 1954 to commemorate the 500th anniversary of the Gutenberg Bible, Scott No. 723, Michel No. 198.

- nethryk

Edited by nethryk - 04/23/2012 09:30 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6514 Posts
Posted 04/23/2012   07:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No snakes in Ireland, so they say. But lots of books.

Allegory of Ireland and Constitution 1937

Brother Michael O'Clery, Historian 1944

Always time for a good book.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6514 Posts
Posted 04/23/2012   07:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What many call a good book.

Shown this one before.
Valued Member
Thailand
305 Posts
Posted 04/23/2012   08:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scifi7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No snakes in Ireland, so they say. But lots of books.

jamesw, I think I read somewhere that it was Irish monks who invented spaces between written words.
Pillar Of The Community
7838 Posts
Posted 04/23/2012   09:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Key to Education," and a teacher reading from a book to her pupils, designed by Chamnane Prisayane, engraved by Jean Miermont, and issued by Laos on October 1, 1959 as one of a set of four stamps promoting education and the fine arts, Scott No. 58, SG No. 95. Bonus: Note the elephant design elements incorporated into the left side of the stamp.

- nethryk

Edited by nethryk - 04/23/2012 09:44 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6514 Posts
Posted 04/23/2012   11:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting, scifi7. My guess is monks in Ireland at the time had more time to pause.

Here's a book on a 1955 United Nations stamp celebrating 10 years of the UN Charter. High value of a set of three.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6514 Posts
Posted 04/23/2012   12:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some more books on US stamps.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6514 Posts
Posted 04/23/2012   1:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And of course Canada.
Education 1962

Page: of 16 Previous TopicReplies: 237 / Views: 44,802Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 11.96 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05