Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Any Interest In Overprints?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 4,254Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
USA
2498 Posts
Posted 06/12/2008   12:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add modern_who to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is anyone interested in overprints or have any interesting overprints?
Show them here!

(Helpful hint for beginners: overprints differ from precancels.)

I guess this would be Nicaragua C148 with a twist.

Send note to Staff
Larry, APS Member

Modern-Vue Stamps on eBay
Edited by modern_who - 06/12/2008 12:54 am

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2972 Posts
Posted 06/13/2008   4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperdude to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do like the US 1928-1929 Molly Pitcher, Hawaii, Kansas, & Nebraska overprints. I don't have many but they make for an interesting addition.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9747 Posts
Posted 06/13/2008   4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmmm, its obviously a regular issue overprinted as an airmail and revalued..what else ?? I once pulled a 1920s Nicaraugua cover out of a dollar box...it JUST HAD A FEEL ABOUT IT...i put it on eBay and a couple of Nicaraugua airmail cover collectors got in a bidding war over it and it sold for FIFTY DOLLARS !
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Pillar Of The Community
USA
2498 Posts
Posted 06/13/2008   5:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modern_who to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Phil, a small piece of paper stuck in the stock book behind this says
"Nicaragua C148
Double overprint with added orange XXX
Only 1 sheet known"

If so, it doesn't seem that Scott knows about it!
Larry, APS Member

Pillar Of The Community
USA
939 Posts
Posted 06/13/2008   5:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cimarron_Warrior to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Overprints are just as interesting as pre-cancels to me. I have a few but currently are scattered thru out my stamp box. I would have to say though that my favorite is an old german with Htler on it over printed with Oustland.
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9747 Posts
Posted 06/13/2008   5:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Larry, I find those Nicaraugua overprints very difficult..Scott does not bother to list so many of them..there also seems to be some kind of pen cancel ? or something written on it..
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Pillar Of The Community
USA
2498 Posts
Posted 06/13/2008   5:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modern_who to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Phil, it must the "script control handstamp" Scott mentions beneath the listing.
Larry, APS Member

Pillar Of The Community
USA
2498 Posts
Posted 06/13/2008   11:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modern_who to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cimarron, these aren't the Oustland overprints but behind bars, as in these Austrian overprints, seemes like a good place for him.

Larry, APS Member

Edited by modern_who - 06/13/2008 11:28 pm
Pillar Of The Community
USA
939 Posts
Posted 06/14/2008   02:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cimarron_Warrior to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those are really neat looking M_W. If I had some I would almost be tempted to frame them and hang them on the wall. that is the best picture of Hitler yet.
Pillar Of The Community
USA
939 Posts
Posted 06/16/2008   01:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cimarron_Warrior to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK here it is. I promised this a coup0le of days ago sorry it took me so long to get it scanned. German Hitler with Ostland overprint.

Pillar Of The Community
USA
2736 Posts
Posted 06/16/2008   10:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobgggg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cimmaron

ěstland: WWII German occupied territories in northern Russia
A Philatelic mind
is a terrible thing to waste
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
6191 Posts
Posted 06/18/2008   07:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Overprints with a difference !
These privately made Palestine 'forgeries' were overprinted in Ramallah at the request of the Palestinian hierarchy. It was rumoured[rather strongly] that Mr Arafat himself was behind this propaganda issue.
Either way, they are nice additions to an Overprint,propaganda or Cinderella collection.
Here are a couple of the set, which was quite pricey and has become extremely scarce.
Collected in Blocks of 4....of course !

Pillar Of The Community
USA
2498 Posts
Posted 06/24/2008   1:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modern_who to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone know Rich Drews?

From what I can gather, he was a candidate for APS Director at Large in 1989. He had a variety of postage stamps privately overprinted for publicity purposes and collectors were able to get copies through a mention in Linn's by sending him a self-addressed, stamped envelope. One such is shown in the "Covers To Eat Pie By" thread with a French overprint applied. Here are some more.

Larry, APS Member

Pillar Of The Community
USA
2736 Posts
Posted 06/24/2008   4:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobgggg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
J.M.H.O.

You would think that a person, from The APS, would have
second thoughts on marring a stamp
A Philatelic mind
is a terrible thing to waste
Pillar Of The Community
USA
939 Posts
Posted 06/24/2008   4:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cimarron_Warrior to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
But hey it also makes for cool additions to the oddity section of a collection.
Pillar Of The Community
USA
2498 Posts
Posted 06/24/2008   4:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modern_who to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But hey it also makes for cool additions to the oddity section of a collection.

Would they be Cinderellas or Cinderella's step sisters?
Larry, APS Member

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 4,254Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05