Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Russia Post Soviet Overprints - Cinderellas???

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 5,796Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
834 Posts
Posted 06/15/2011   10:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add backroads to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is it always necessary with a regime change, that someone, somewhere, will immediately create scads of provisional issues? Usually these have absolutely no postal validity, even if they do use actual stamps from the country or region involved.

It appears that this principle went into overtime in the former Soviet Union and people had a great deal of fun creating overprints complete with errors, slogans and the like.

I am guessing that as time passes, someone may make an attempt to document these though I doubt most would even make the classification of a "legitimate" cinderella but I thought that scanning and posting a selection that came my way in a large lot might be interesting for the members.

I do sometimes wonder where these originated in a geographic sense but beyond that, they are just one more footnote to history.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2757 Posts
Posted 06/15/2011   11:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add warrehouse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some of these type of overprints were provisional issued & used, however the vast majority of them are bogus!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Austria
63 Posts
Posted 06/16/2011   10:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ionut77 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On the last 2 lines of stamps it is wrote "Tiraspol", that is the so-called capital of the not recognized Transnistria country.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2757 Posts
Posted 06/16/2011   1:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add warrehouse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A citation from the PMRStamps.org site:

Definitive stamps of the former USSR overprinted "“ираспол№ 30-VI-92" .

These Stamps are GENUINE (except where noted below).

These stamps were intended for use on old USSR pre-paid postal stationery covers. The 20 kopeck stamps were applied to covers with a pre-printed USSR 5 kopeck stamp to give a total postal value of 25 kopecks. The 28 kopeck stamps were applied to covers with a pre-printed USSR 7 kopeck stamp to give a total postal value of 35 kopecks. Therefore these stamps can be classified as "additional tariff" stamps and as such are not included in the PMR official catalogues of general postage stamps.

These were the very first stamps produced locally by the PMR and were intended for postal deliveries within the PMR only. They were produced without the approval of the Moldovan Government in Chisinau, who, on October 21, 1992, burned 107,997 of these stamps which it had captured
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
834 Posts
Posted 06/16/2011   6:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add backroads to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Warrehouse - Is your reference about the last three rows of stamps on this page? And would I find a mention of
them under Moldovia in Scott's?

I am a little surprised, though I don't really know why it should be so unexpected, to find that any of the stamps on this page are actually legitimate. Thanks for the reference.
Valued Member
United States
130 Posts
Posted 06/16/2011   6:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DCottrell to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From top to bottom, as well as I can make out:

Tatarstan, Bugulma (city)

Birobidjan, main city of Yevreyskaya Respublika (formerly Oblast, Jewish Autonomous Region)

"Altaiski Krai" Altai Krai (region) a Federal Republic of Russia

Tuva (?)

Vladivostok (a huge city in Soviet Far East)

I can't make out the next ones, overprinted with several names and "1993"

The next ones are Russian Federation, only valuation overprints

More Vladivostok and Altai Republic

The animals are for Zoo Assistance Fund and are marked "Vost. Sibir'" Eastern Siberia

The subs and ships overprinted "Zapolyarye" means "Polar" and could refer to Krasnoyarsk Region which runs Zapolyarye Airlines from Norilsk

The Ferns and leaves are overprinted for the Udmurt Republic in the Urals

Petroskoi is Karelian for Petrozavodsk, the capital of Karelia, and area I did research on while at university. They se-tenant stamps are dual language overprints in Karelian (Finnish, basically) and Russian.

Skip the airplane overprints and the next ones rean Novaya Zemlya, Zemlya Fr.-Yosifa (Franz-Josef), and Severnaya Zemlya. The center reads"Avia Pochta" -- Air Mail. These are the islands north of Murmansk in the Arctic Ocean and are districts in the Arkhangelsk Oblast

The bees are overprinted "Bashkiria' and probably refer to what is now Bashkortostan, a Federal Republic between the Volga and the Urals

The last set is overprinted "Tiraspol'" which is a city in Moldova.

It looks as if these may be legitimate provisional issues and not just cinderellas. Thanks for sharing them.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2757 Posts
Posted 06/16/2011   7:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add warrehouse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott won't list them since they were local in nature! But the site cited does state that the Tiraspol was postally used by the PMR.

Tuva is same as Tannu Tuva from 1920-30's issues that are known.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3137 Posts
Posted 06/16/2011   7:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As warrehouse has said most of these are bogus and they would never have been anywhere near the locations that they claim to represent.

The stamps with the small writing and the large 1993 dates show a map of the southern Kuril islands north of Japan. The large island at the top is Iturop with Kunashir below it and Shikotan to the right.

Nigel
Edited by nigelc - 06/16/2011 7:38 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 5,796Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05