Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Kansas Nebraska Overprints of 1929  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
United States
4623 Posts
Posted 07/23/2011   4:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add kirks to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've had these for several years. They are Mint, but I elected not to pay the premium for Never Hinged. As I mentioned elsewhere, I rarely look at the back of my stamps anyway, so I decided to save a few dollars.

Centering is less than perfect on my examples and I believe on this series as a whole.

I know there are forgeries of this series. These came from a reputable collector; he and I both believe them to be authentic, but I have no certs to prove it.

KirkS
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 07/23/2011   4:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice. I don't often see a complete set. As for myself, I have 3 or 4 of each series...nowhere near the complete set.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
977 Posts
Posted 07/23/2011   4:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ratio411 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!
I don't have complete sets either.
The ones I do have are used.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
615 Posts
Posted 07/23/2011   5:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dave9911 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very very nice looking set. Like others here, I have 2 or 3 of them.
Valued Member
United States
302 Posts
Posted 07/23/2011   8:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add panda.bear to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A nice set to own. I don't have a complete set either but I'm sure its somewhere on my list!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1947 Posts
Posted 07/24/2011   06:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rohumpy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I read somewhere that the experiment with the overprints was considered a failure. Thank goodness, or we would have 48 sets of 11 stamps each. It would be an expensive nightmare.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
24245 Posts
Posted 07/24/2011   06:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Very nice Captain
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 07/24/2011   07:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thought some might find this information useful in how to detect real v. bogus Kans./Nebr. overprints:

http://riversidestamps.com/KansNebrFakes.htm

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 07/24/2011   07:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I read somewhere that the experiment with the overprints was considered a failure. Thank goodness, or we would have 48 sets of 11 stamps each. It would be an expensive nightmare.

So very true! Figure 57 cents per State x 48 states = $27.36 face value, which was quite a sum back in the pre-Depression era.

...and what's scary is that it was seriously being considered back in that day according to this write-up from the National Postal Museum web site:

Quote:
A series of post office robberies in the Midwest was the stated reason for the creation of the 1929 Kansas and Nebraska overprinted stamps of the Fourth Bureau Issue.

The Post Office Department conceived the idea to overprint stamps with the abbreviated names of the individual states, believing that stolen overprinted state stamps would be difficult to fence in or out of state. Kansas and Nebraska were selected to initiate the experiment. Since security at large city post offices was considered adequate, only small post offices would receive the stamps.

A one year supply of the 1-cent through 10-cent stamps was overprinted for Kansas and Nebraska. Higher values were not included because they were not printed by rotary press and could not easily be overprinted. The overprinted stamps could only be sold at post offices within their respective states, but they were valid for postage throughout the United States and wherever U.S regular stamps could be used. Shipments of the stamps began on April 15, 1929.

Economics rather than theft actually played the pivotal roll in promoting the state stamp idea. Kansas and Nebraska postmasters were required to requisition a one-year supply of the overprinted stamps, not the normal quarterly supply requisition. Had the experiment succeeded, the Post Office Department planned to extend the scheme to all forty-eight states, hoping to cut fulfillment costs by 75 percent.

There was considerable confusion as postal clerks nationwide misunderstood the rules and tried to assess postage to replace entirely legal usage of the Kansas-Nebraska stamps. The Department decided to abandon any further consideration of state overprinted stamps on March 29, 1930.

Edited by wt1 - 07/24/2011 08:01 am
Learn More...
United States
4623 Posts
Posted 07/24/2011   09:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
WT1 -- thanks for the Riverside link -- VERY good information.

KirkS
Valued Member
United States
197 Posts
Posted 07/24/2011   2:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add moldman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wt1, thanks for that link. I have full sets of Kan/Nebr overprints, now I will see and hope they are real. Have had them for years and can't remember where I got them from.

Will post what I find out in a few days.
Learn More...
United States
4623 Posts
Posted 02/04/2013   09:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
WT1... Your link has been updated to an SHTML page...

http://riversidestamps.com/KansNebrFakes.shtml

Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 02/05/2013   4:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I learned that most of the fakes were done with a typewriter and easily spotted by flipping them over and looking for the indentations made by the typewriter as the originals were done differently (I forget how but I know it didn't leave the "dents") Now I know this info to be old and with the introduction of the laser printer and a crafty hand could probably produce a convincing copy but I thought it was worth noting anyway?

I love your pictured stamps too!
Edited by I_Love_Stamps - 02/05/2013 4:53 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
630 Posts
Posted 02/07/2013   6:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yakboomer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wt1
Quote:

Thought some might find this information useful in how to detect real v. bogus Kans./Nebr. overprints:

http://riversidestamps.com/KansNebrFakes.htm

I am getting a 404 not found error on that link. Oops never mind, I did not see the new link.
Edited by yakboomer - 02/07/2013 6:57 pm
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 05/13/2013   07:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't own any of these! I REALLY GOT TO WORK ON THOSE PAGES SOON!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
914 Posts
Posted 05/13/2013   09:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rlorenz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Kirk

There is a wonderful book titled : Counterfeit Kansas-Nebraska Overprints on 1922-34 Issue by Robert Schoen and James DeVoss It used to be available from APS and may still be. If not I may be able to provide you with some copy
rick l
APS# 214326, I.S.G.C.# 979
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05