Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Let's See Your Smallest Covers

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar Of The Community
United States
692 Posts
Posted 06/16/2019   9:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
40 Posts
Posted 08/29/2019   4:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I recently acquired this tiny unposted cover while clearing my in-law's house for sale. It's the birth announcement for my mother-in-law. Prompted me to wonder what was the smallest acceptable cover, and what was the smallest standard stationery cover in the past. So I was pleased to find this topical thread.
This item measures 2 5/8 in. H x 3 5/8 in. W.
I can see that it is not the smallest ever, nor did I expect it to be. But I do wonder if this was the smallest standard size stationery, at least in the 1930s US.... It would seem the proud parents had perhaps 100 of these worked up and mailed out in a farming community in upstate New York, so it must have been a standard size -- perhaps relatively common -- for printers and stationers at the time.

Anyway, it's the smallest in my accumulation. The younger generation got a kick out of the precision of the denomination.
Learn More...
7419 Posts
Posted 08/29/2019   5:00 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I have about 40-45 'tiny covers' including these

Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2080 Posts
Posted 08/29/2019   10:32 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I sold this tiny PC on eBay last month

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1156 Posts
Posted 08/29/2019   10:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a few more.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
849 Posts
Posted 08/30/2019   07:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Stampman:

Your first cover addressed to Grover Cleveland is a nice association item! Cleveland was a trustee of Princeton University and living there at about the time of the postmark. Is the sender named on the reverse?

Don
Edited by DonSellos - 08/30/2019 07:30 am
Pillar Of The Community
2304 Posts
Posted 08/30/2019   09:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Grover Cleveland: Based on the number of humps in "New" of New Jersey, the cover appears to be addressed to Mrs Grover Cleveland. Also consistent with the frequently smaller petite size of ladies' correspondence.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
849 Posts
Posted 08/30/2019   11:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Based on the number of humps in "New" of New Jersey, the cover appears to be addressed to Mrs Grover Cleveland.

Probably so, it should have been addressed "Pres." if it were solely to Grover. Then again, the humps might be interpreted as Mr/Mrs. An invitation or announcement, perhaps. It might help to know the senders name.

In any case, in my opinion, it ranks above the run-of-the-mill diminutive cover and is still an association item worth noting.

Don
Valued Member
80 Posts
Posted 10/24/2019   07:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aviatik to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

3.5 by 4.5 inches-There are also several different cancels on the back.
Anyone know why that might be?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
914 Posts
Posted 11/05/2019   1:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There are also several different cancels on the back.
Anyone know why that might be?

They are probably from the receiving post office. If you post of a scan of the back we could tell you more.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1130 Posts
Posted 11/05/2019   2:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is the smallest cover in my collection. It measures 4-1/8 inches by 1-13/16 inches (10.5 cm by 4.6 cm), with Amonette notes.

Valued Member
80 Posts
Posted 11/05/2019   3:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aviatik to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

GregAlex-- here's the back of Mr. FH Somerville cover. For a tiny letter it looks like it got around. I'm new to covers and it seems odd to me that they are cancelling empty space.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
914 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   03:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For a tiny letter it looks like it got around. I'm new to covers and it seems odd to me that they are cancelling empty space.

In this case, "auxiliary postmark" is a more accurate term than "cancel." Back stamps were a way to track the progress of delivery. If you check the time/dates you can see exactly how long it took to get from point to point.
Learn More...
7419 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   04:43 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is one of my 'busiest' tiny (3.75" x 2.5") covers, it has a lot going on...Special Delivery, Returned To Sender, Do Not Post Again, Reason For Return, RPO cancel

Don
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.5 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05