Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Parcel Post

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 4,215Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6237 Posts
Posted 06/14/2012   8:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stallzer to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Almost complete but as usual and with most partial sets I have, the big buck items are missing. 2 of these are slated for replacement when I can find better copies but finding these with good centering is not easy.

Send note to Staff

Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 06/14/2012   9:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I always loved those Stallzer and I think they look wonderful. I have a few but all mine are used and not on cover or on piece and centering is OK on mine but yours seem to be outstanding for these. Look at the ones on the swedish tiger's site and then compare with yours! you shouldn't feel too bad.

http://www.theswedishtiger.com/xparcel2.htm
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
Posted 06/14/2012   10:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tstraz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Love those stamps. It would be great if the USPS would do an anniversary set. 100 years in 2013.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6237 Posts
Posted 06/15/2012   08:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jeff, I don't feel bad at all about these, in fact I love them. The 2 I'm looking to replace are the 75 & 25 as the 75 has a crease in the lower right corner and the 20 has a scuff. I'll probably replace those long before I can afford the 50 & $1 as the cheapest I've seen those with good centering is in the Hundreds. I've always thought this was one of the better looking US sets.
Pillar Of The Community
2361 Posts
Posted 06/15/2012   12:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add doug2222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stallzer, a little confusion whether it's the 20c or 25c you want to replace. But if it's the 25c, and you mean the discoloration by the "G" of Manufacturing, that looks like a little piece of brown paper ON TOP of (adhering to) the design, easily removed. Am I right on this?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6237 Posts
Posted 06/15/2012   12:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You are correct Doug, it's the .25. I haven't really looked into it in detail as I only noticed when I scanned it last night so I hope you are right.
Rest in Peace
Learn More...
United States
1806 Posts
Posted 06/15/2012   12:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1775mac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice. Good luck with the hunt, as you stated this set is one of the hardest to find with fine centering.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
513 Posts
Posted 07/08/2012   1:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lpmiller to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An absolutely beautiful set. Look as fresh as they did in 1913. I've always been curious about the image on the 20 cent. Looks like one of the early Wright or Curtis pusher aircraft, and I never thought that the postal service ever used one of those very open cockpit contraptions to carry standard mail much less parcel post packages. I always thought that Lucky Lindy and his buddies first carried the US mail in Curtiss Jennys after the Great War. Just when were airplanes first used by the USPO to carry the mail? And was this stamp's image just wishful thinking or someone's imagination of the future?
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 07/08/2012   3:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In response to the question about the 20-cent Parcel Post stamp depicting an "aeroplane" (Scott #Q8), consider this:

The above was excerpted from this link, where the entire Parcel Post Stamp series is detailed:

http://www.casperstamp.com/images/B...6447b26236bd
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31941 Posts
Posted 07/08/2012   11:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely scans Stallzer
This is the first chance, no doubt, for a lot of us,
to see these beautiful stamps up close.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31941 Posts
Posted 06/17/2020   03:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ephemera
Not sure I understand the Label.
USPS "Official Shipper of the Holidays" (Snowflake or routes Icon?)
Australia Post Signature Required Label Cat #8839763
Edited by rod222 - 06/17/2020 03:18 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1587 Posts
Posted 06/17/2020   05:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Snowflake suggesting Christmas mail, I imagine.

https://about.usps.com/news/nationa...pr11_129.htm
Pillar Of The Community
1394 Posts
Posted 06/17/2020   08:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On the 20 cent stamp, in addition to what was said above, tradition has it that the image depicted in the stamp is of Hap Arnold piloting the plane. He would go on, of course, to be commanding general of the US air forces in WWII, and was later honored on a 65 cent stamp in the Great American series.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31941 Posts
Posted 06/17/2020   09:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Jill, perfect!
Valued Member
United States
372 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   02:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@wt1 and the text regarding airmail.

Prior to regular government airmail routes which began as noted in 1918 there were mail carrying flights know as pioneer airmail. One such pioneer flight beginning 1-13-1913 2:12 P.M. carried the first parcel post packages (beans) by air from Boston en route to New York City. The pilot was 22 year old Harry M. Jones flying an airplane he built. This trip with carriage of parcel post matter was commissioned by the USPOD.

Official Air Parcel Post did not begin until 35 years later, first international then domestic.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 03/08/2021 02:27 am
Learn More...
9263 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   04:08 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bumped thread...please note that wt1 has not logged in in nearly 5 years.
Don
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 4,215Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05