Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Game: Identify All That's Wrong With This Cinderella

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 5,175Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 08/29/2012   11:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wt1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A simple game called "What's Wrong with this Stamp?".

I came up with a list of at least 20 different things wrong with this cinderella stamp (there's probably more that I didn't even catch) ... how well can you do to name them all?

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36795 Posts
Posted 08/29/2012   11:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Nope, sorry, cannot see any myself.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 08/29/2012   11:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I counted 15.

I recounted, now up to 16. Now 17

19 now.
APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Edited by smauggie - 08/29/2012 11:55 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6752 Posts
Posted 08/30/2012   02:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm, I count 21.

21. It's not in my collection.

k
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
544 Posts
Posted 08/30/2012   04:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bamra1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How is it possible to make all those errors, and yet get the apostrophe in the right place?!
Or did they actually think they were getting it wrong?
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36795 Posts
Posted 08/30/2012   06:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Washington with a tie,
that brings a smile every time I see it.

Did anyone get the error...
"stamp collectors commemorative"
and the two guys pictured, had nothing to do with collecting?

The Jaffee??? went over my head?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2880 Posts
Posted 08/30/2012   08:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rileysan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The Jaffee??? went over my head?

It's "Jaffee" spelled forward and backwards.

This is only a guess, but it might be a reference to Michael Jaffe, owner of Brookman stamps?

Anyone know the source of this Cinderella?

Brian
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 08/30/2012   08:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Anyone know the source of this Cinderella?

Here's the source ... MAD Magazine's Stamps We'd Love to See from the mid-1960's. According to this link there's supposedly a whole series of such absurd cinderellas out there, however, I don't recall seeing them before.

http://stampcollectingroundup.blogs...-to-see.html

Does anyone have any more information about them?
Edited by wt1 - 08/30/2012 08:18 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 08/30/2012   08:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with khj...

Quote:
It's not in my collection.

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36795 Posts
Posted 08/30/2012   09:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been searching for 10 years for the MAD magazine
issue of the Easter Islands stamps,
perhaps in a next life.........

Here is a MAD Magazine stamps for Bra's.

Edited by rod222 - 08/30/2012 09:46 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4610 Posts
Posted 08/30/2012   10:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If I remember correctly, the Postmaster General at the time the Dag Hammersjold invert errors were found, was Jay Edward Day (?) A lot of magazines & periodicals denounced him all over the place. They reprinted so many of the invewrted errors to the point that they almost made the error cheaper than the normal stamp <G>

It was not long after this when H.E. Harris came across the Canal Zone error with the missing bridge, but, he fought the government and won.

Chimo

Bujutsu
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4610 Posts
Posted 08/30/2012   10:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh BTW - I forgot to mention that I could count only 18 errors in the scan wt1 provided

Chimo

Bujutsu
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 08/30/2012   11:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Bra Rod.
APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 08/30/2012   11:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So here is my list. Feel free to suggest additions or corrections.

1. The word "collectors" has a reversed E.
2. The word "commemorative" is missing the last E
3. The shield in the center has the stars on the bottom and stripes on the top. It should be the other way around.
4. In the shield, there should be a field of blue with white stars.
5. The stripes are blue instead of red.
6. Lincoln's name misspelled.
7. Lincoln's name is inverted.
8. Washington is in the the space where Lincoln's name is.
9. Washington's name is misspelled.
10. Lincoln inverted
11. Lincoln in Washington's space.
12. Lincoln wearing uniform instead of suit
13. Washington wearing suit instead of uniform.
14. Second value of "20" inverted.
15. Second value of "20" in wrong color
16. Word "errors" misspelled
17. Word "stamp" misspelled
18. Word "you" misspelled
19. Word "find" misspelled (as "fine")
20. Note sure but could be that the last sentence is missing the word "them" as in "Can you find them all?"
Another possibility, question mark missing from last phrase on bottom of stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2757 Posts
Posted 08/30/2012   11:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add warrehouse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are 21 overt errors, 4 swing errors, if you will!
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 08/30/2012   11:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Smauggie: Your list is pretty complete, but note that #2 is only one error in the word. If you look closely there are only two "m"'s used in the word instead of three (i.e. "comemorativ" instead of "commemorative")!

Also, this one is a bit more "muddy" of a possible "error", but in the portrait of Lincoln, it's very seldom that you'd see his hair come halfway down the ear. Most portraits show him with this hair above the ear. Not that he couldn't have had it that way at one time or another in his life, but it certainly looked to be an odd length to me.

One could also argue whether this is an "error" or just a fluke because the stamp is so damaged, but in the light blue field at the top of the stamp (between the two portraits) there is an angled line. It should be straight so it would either look like the border at the two sides (at the top of the stamp) or bolder and straight (so it would match the bottom of the stamp).

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 5,175Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05