Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Japanese Occupation Of Hong Kong?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Japan
165 Posts
Posted 09/22/2012   1:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Prahanoaki to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello doug2222
It would be a pleasure to help!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
534 Posts
Posted 09/22/2012   2:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 597596 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Prahanoaki,

What is your opinion on the two stamps first posted? Do they appear to have legitimate Hong Kong cancels?
Valued Member
Japan
165 Posts
Posted 09/22/2012   3:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Prahanoaki to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is what I think it is, Shimonoseki kamishinchi. Missing 2 more characters on the postmark and this is how it would look like if it was complete. According to Japanpost.jp, this post office still exist today. Note that in modern Japanese it reads from left to right so if you would look on internet today, all characters would be in opposite order. Unfortunately, it is not Hong Kong.. Im sorry.

Edited by Prahanoaki - 09/22/2012 4:07 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
534 Posts
Posted 09/22/2012   4:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 597596 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent information, thanks
Valued Member
Japan
165 Posts
Posted 09/22/2012   4:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Prahanoaki to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
you are welcome 597596!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5709 Posts
Posted 09/22/2012   6:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great stuff, Prahanoaki. Thanks for sharing.
Valued Member
Japan
165 Posts
Posted 09/22/2012   8:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Prahanoaki to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cjd,
You are welcome!

Now about the stars in the postmark, it is true that in the regular prewar Japanese domestic postmarks, usually they are no stars in the bottom part. It's usually the time when the postmark has been canceled, for example "am 8-12". However there are postmasks with stars which has been used elsewhere than Hong Kong. In most of the cases, it is an occupied territory but it is not necessarily Hong Kong. I found 1 example of star postmark among my collection. It's a regular Japanese postal stationery with a postmark of Shisuka, now Poronaysk, Russia, during the Japanese occupation of Sakhalin (called Karafuto in Japanese).

Valued Member
Canada
5 Posts
Posted 11/10/2013   11:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Armyantz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello

My name is Antonio da Luz, Grandson of Henry da Luz. The administrator that first created many of these covers. I am trying to get a solid understanding of how to identify the covers I have remaining. I have many that are marked rare, that are apparently from Kowloon and Kowloon city. I have attempted to contact a few local Toronto based stamp experts, however, many are dismissing the covers as worthless or simply do not have an understanding of the covers. I am hopeful someone can shed some light.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 2.42 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05