Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Robert Johnson 29c Stamp Controversy

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 1,998Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
289 Posts
Posted 09/17/2012   4:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add EricBismarck to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
An old story but a good one. I remember this controversy well even though I wasn't collecting stamps at that time...

In fact, the only stamps actually "displayed" in my house, is a mint sheet of these blues/jazz musicians which is framed on the wall in my music room.

http://trueblueser.files.wordpress....johnson2.jpg

For reference, here is the original photo:

http://trueblueser.files.wordpress....johnson2.jpg

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
289 Posts
Posted 09/17/2012   4:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EricBismarck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
254 Posts
Posted 09/17/2012   4:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add peterc4 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting...Looking at both the pictures? To me he looks a bit dorky without the cigarette.

Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 09/17/2012   6:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I always thought either Son House or even better- Mississippi John Hurt should have got a stamp. He's my hero and I play almost all his songs when I play out. I always do John Hurt set. Anyways, it's a neat read and I knew nothing about it. Thank you!

Edit: grammatical error fixed.
Edited by I_Love_Stamps - 09/18/2012 06:54 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6625 Posts
Posted 09/17/2012   7:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Although I agree they both deserve a stamp, the problem is that only serious blues fans even know who Son House or Mississippi John Hurt are. Robert Johnson is far more well known because so many of the songs he originally recorded have been covered by important rock bands.
There are plenty of bluesmen and women who belong on stamps, from Barbeque Bob, Leroy Carr and Lightnin' Hopkins to Memphis Minnie and "Big Mama" Thornton.
Valued Member
Netherlands
333 Posts
Posted 09/18/2012   02:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jan-Simon to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I nominate Charley Patton, "Father of the Delta Blues"
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 09/18/2012   06:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess your right rev. It's truly a shame that people nowdays have no idea about these legends and their beautiful music, people like "Big Bill Broonzy",Howlin' wolf and Lightnin' hopkins...man that's music to soothe your ever lovin' soul right there! Now I gotta go digging through my LP's..lol

On a side note, I got B.B. Kings autograph once after a show. He was just talking to the little group that had assembled outside and started signing stuff. No one bothered him to do it he just offered! He's such a gentle fella. I kind of thought he was.

spelling error fixed..
Edited by I_Love_Stamps - 09/18/2012 06:57 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6625 Posts
Posted 09/18/2012   07:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I once had the honor of helping the great Henry Townsend to get to his seat when he stumbled a bit right in front of me at a show. We got to chat for a couple of minutes, which was pretty awesome. He was about 94 at the time, and could still play both the guitar and the piano quite well.
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 09/18/2012   08:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's awesome and an honor!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6625 Posts
Posted 09/18/2012   5:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I thanked him for all the wonderful music he had recorded, I called him sir, and he gave me the funniest look. I think I might have been the first white man to ever call him sir. Which would be a really sad commentary.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 1,998Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05