Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Fake Hitler Heads

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 4,871Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1566 Posts
Posted 10/21/2008   9:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add mkfarm to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
While doing some research on German stamps from WWII I found out that there are far more forgeries than I expected. The number one reason was the OSS or the US Office of Strategic Services.

The stamps were a part of a clandestine plan to ruin the morale of the German people. They called it operation "Cornflake". The standard 6pf & 12pf Hitler Head stamps were forged in sheets of 50. In addition on some of the 12pf stamps the inscription was changed to "Futsches Reich" meaning Ruined Empire.

They even had a special Hitler Head, make sure to check this one out at the end of the story.

Here is the brief version on the OSS Project.

The Allies felt that if many German people started receiving Anti-Nazi propaganda in their morning mail delivered punctually at breakfast time by the mailman, they would feel that their "German Empire" was falling apart from within.

The OSS decided that the best way to smuggle the mail into the regular German postal system was to bomb mail trains. In addition to bombs to possibly destroying the trains, they dropped sacks of mail containing Anti-Nazi propaganda. During the confusion of cleaning up the wreck, the false mail sacks were mixed with the damaged German mail. The OSS re-created all aspects of the German Postal system from real business return addresses to many thousands of names and addresses pulled from the telephone directories. They even replicated the mail bags, postal markings and every other detail of the postal system. Every letter was franked with a 12pf stamp or two 6pf stamps. On opening the letter, they would find it filled with anti-Nazi propaganda including the 12pf "Futsches Reich" stamp.

Image: skullhitler.jpg
94.86 KB
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1566 Posts
Posted 10/21/2008   9:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mkfarm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you like to read like I do then here is the full story.

http://www.psywarrior.com/Cornflakes2.html
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
USA
3315 Posts
Posted 10/21/2008   10:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add laswabbie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's a fantastic story, but not alone. Wild Bill and his cronies did some really cool things. Of course, the Germans had Their own little games as well.

Nice post and cool article mk. Thanks!
Pillar Of The Community
USA
2498 Posts
Posted 10/22/2008   01:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modern_who to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Who the h**l us Wild Bill?
Larry, APS Member

Modern-Vue Stamps on eBay
Pillar Of The Community
USA
3315 Posts
Posted 10/22/2008   09:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add laswabbie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I could tell you Modern, but then I'd have to kill you!

He is considered the "Father" of the CIA. Here is his story: http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/wjodonov.htm and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willia...seph_Donovan
Edited by laswabbie - 10/22/2008 09:24 am
Pillar Of The Community
USA
2736 Posts
Posted 10/22/2008   09:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobgggg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Who the h**l us Wild Bill?

Geez..I thought it was Wild Bill Clinton
A Philatelic mind
is a terrible thing to waste
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
907 Posts
Posted 11/25/2008   12:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WpgLwr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting story. As I recall, the Brits also did a stamp with Himmler on it instead of Hitler.
Pillar Of The Community
USA
2736 Posts
Posted 11/25/2008   12:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobgggg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Interesting story. As I recall, the Brits also did a stamp with Himmler on it instead of Hitler.

A Philatelic mind
is a terrible thing to waste
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
907 Posts
Posted 11/25/2008   7:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WpgLwr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, that one!

The hope was that it would not only discredit Hitler, but that it would make him question Himmler's loyalty, since Himmler at the time was Deputy Fuhrer.
Pillar Of The Community
USA
3315 Posts
Posted 11/25/2008   8:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add laswabbie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great sheet Bob. I don't suppose you have any tied to cover that you want to give away for Christmas, do you? Phil and I each have one on our Santa list!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1566 Posts
Posted 11/25/2008   9:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mkfarm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice addition to the topic.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 4,871Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05