Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Topical: The Moustache

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 138 / Views: 29,533Next Topic
Page: of 10
Valued Member
United Kingdom
172 Posts
Posted 10/25/2012   1:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add revicbaxter to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Received this in the post advertising and supporting 'Movember' so thought I'd see what's out there in the stamp world when it comes to the eye catching moustache.

Movember (a portmanteau of the slang word "mo" for moustache and "November") is an annual, month-long event involving the growing of moustaches during the month of November to raise awareness of prostate cancer and other male cancer initiatives. The Movember Foundation runs the Movember charity event, housed at Movember.com.The goal of Movember is to "change the face of men's health." (From Wikipedia article)

I know know Hitler's 'push-broom' has already had a mention (http://goscf.com/t/23011&SearchTerms=Moustache)
but there must be some other interesting examples...
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United Kingdom
172 Posts
Posted 10/25/2012   1:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revicbaxter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ramon Carnicer and Eusebio Lillo (composer and author of the Chile National Anthem) from Chile 1947 commemorating the Chile National Anthem Centenary... and moustached

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United Kingdom
172 Posts
Posted 10/25/2012   1:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revicbaxter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Benjamin Vicuna Mackenna, Chile 1949

Valued Member
United Kingdom
172 Posts
Posted 10/25/2012   1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revicbaxter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A 1901 Telegraph Stamp from Chile featuring Pedro Gutierrez de Valdivia with a 'Napoleon III Imperial' Moustache

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1355 Posts
Posted 10/25/2012   2:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampgal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United Kingdom
172 Posts
Posted 10/25/2012   2:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revicbaxter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1966 King of the Orient

Valued Member
United Kingdom
172 Posts
Posted 10/25/2012   2:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revicbaxter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Laughing Policeman 1990 (20p) and 1991 (1st)

Valued Member
United Kingdom
172 Posts
Posted 10/25/2012   2:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revicbaxter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, need to let my scanner recover. Found a Fu Manchu to finish with for now. (Thanks for the India stamp stampgal, scary eyes!)

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 10/25/2012   6:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Indian States offer some splendid moustaches.

For instance, there's the terribly '70s growth on Raja Shamsher Parkash of Sirmoor - in the 1880s

Or the toothbrush, favoured by Maharaja Himmat Singh of Idar

And as postmarks have been allowed in, the many different styles of moustachioed Suns in the postmarks of Jaipur

and

and

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4583 Posts
Posted 10/25/2012   7:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I hope the laughing policeman isn't Nick Rowan (Heartbeat) just before retirement? LOL. Neat stamps.

Chimo

Bujutsu
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6516 Posts
Posted 10/25/2012   11:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was going to grow a mustache for Movember, but I already have one, so it seemed a little redundant.
That aside, cancer seems the least of this man's health worries. Someone had driven a quill pen through his head!

I can't find this one in my catalogue, but I'm going to assume he's a writer and the stamp is about workplace safety.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
737 Posts
Posted 10/26/2012   12:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ryan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Armenian playwright Levon Shant had an impressive moustache.

Ryan

Valued Member
United Kingdom
172 Posts
Posted 10/26/2012   03:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revicbaxter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Love the stamps.
The guy with the injury at work seems to have a spare moustache under his chin in case of emergencies.
I'll have another look after work today, thanks for the contributions.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4583 Posts
Posted 10/26/2012   11:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I understand that in Czarist Russia, there were some revenues used to tax the lengths of mustaches and beards.

Chimo

Bujutsu
Valued Member
United Kingdom
172 Posts
Posted 10/26/2012   12:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revicbaxter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On the 'Ask' website this question appears: "Which ruler had applied taxes on having moustache and beard from people and from where it belong?"
The answer given: "Peter the Great passed a beard tax in Russia, trying to modernize and make more European his aristocracy. Those men with beards had to carry a special coin to prove they had paid, or risk being forcibly shaved on the streets."

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4583 Posts
Posted 10/26/2012   8:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting

You have to stop and think just what is out there that was taxed, and, if there were any revenue tax stamps for a lot of them.

Chimo

Bujutsu
Page: of 10 Previous TopicReplies: 138 / Views: 29,533Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 2.48 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05