Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Real Of Fake Transvaal Stamp?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

41 Posts
Posted 01/28/2013   10:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add dicati to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I saw the 5p Transvaal stamp on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRANSVAAL-2...047675.l2557

It looks like a reprint with the dots not lining up at the bottom of the letters but the seller says the CV is 4000$. What do you think?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
2361 Posts
Posted 01/28/2013   10:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add doug2222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think 99.99% of the 5 Transvaal are reprints...
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
41 Posts
Posted 01/28/2013   10:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dicati to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, but I don't why that seller confidently says the CV is 4000$.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1062 Posts
Posted 01/28/2013   10:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Many sellers/Dealers don't know reals from fakes.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1187 Posts
Posted 01/29/2013   02:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Terence Collins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So how do you tell real from fake? I would like to know as I have a full set of Transvaal, including the 5, but without the V.R.I. overprint.

Terry
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2757 Posts
Posted 01/29/2013   08:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add warrehouse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Winning bid was a good one!
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1187 Posts
Posted 01/29/2013   10:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Terence Collins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry. My post should read how do you tell the original printing from reprints? Anybody know?

Terry
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4520 Posts
Posted 01/29/2013   10:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Terry---if nobody answers the question ,then I'll try to capture the one above and put up one of my fakes next to it later today,I know mine are fakes.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1187 Posts
Posted 01/29/2013   12:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Terence Collins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Floortrader,

Thank you. That would be a great help. I'd like to know one way or other if I have the real thing.

Terry
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
721 Posts
Posted 01/29/2013   5:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add backroads to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a link to a topic I posted some time ago. Some very useful information on how to recognize real vs fake - the examples shown are, I think, fake. However, it's such a complicated area that I think anyone wanting to tell them apart would need to actually see a genuine stamp in order to know what they are looking for.

http://goscf.com/t/15747&SearchTerms=Transvaal
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1187 Posts
Posted 01/29/2013   6:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Terence Collins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you backroads, that makes interesting reading. I am going to London in a few weeks so will try the British Museum to see if they have any in their collections.

Terry
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4520 Posts
Posted 01/29/2013   9:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I try to capture two stamps but it didn't work to put them in the same scan .But here is my forgery copy ,the most notable is the letter "A" it is missing the cross bar .

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4520 Posts
Posted 01/29/2013   10:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the copy off of eBay ------

Valued Member
41 Posts
Posted 01/30/2013   12:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dicati to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hi Terry and Floortrader, I hear some other people say that to distinguish the reals and the fakes/reprints look at the 3 dots next letter VRI, the fakes/reprints do not have the dots lining up with the bottom of the letters. Some others say, count the number of bars\dashes right below wagon, one will have 8 and one will have 9, I dont remember exactly which one.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 01/30/2013   02:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gibbons has this warning about the 5 stamp: "Many examples of [the 5] on the market are forgeries and the stamps should only be purchased if accompanied by a recent expert committee certificate."

Probably a very wise precaution
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1187 Posts
Posted 01/30/2013   03:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Terence Collins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The set I have is the 1885 first issue, SG175-187, without the 1900 V.R.I. overprint (and if the Gods smile, original not reprint).
They are packed away prior to a house move, but if I can get them out I will post some scans here.

Found so far from Stanley Gibbons..........

Reprints, produced using the original plates date from 1911 onwards, and are all perf 12.5 large holes.
Paper of reprints is thinner and whiter than that used for originals.
Colours of reprints lack the lustre of genuine originals.
Reprints can be found with forged surcharges.

I'll post any further information I dig up, meanwhile all information from you guys will be very much appreciated.

Terry
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05