Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Salvation Army Cinderellas

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 6,992Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 04/07/2013   4:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jamesw to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Another interesting cinderella find to day is this little 12 page book (it measures 4 x 5.25 inches) published by the Sally Anne. It is dated 1926 on inside front cover with the name Mrs. Merryweather, Carleton St. Fredericton written there.
It is a history of the Salvation Army written for children, and there are spaces for the kiddies to stick 36 stamps. Unfortunately there are only 7 stuck in the book, so someone wasn't trying very hard!

Front cover

An inside spread

And the labels present.
The Salvation Army Band

The Orphan Asylum at Clapton, London. edit- On re-reading the passage, the centre of this building was an open court, which was later roofed over and seated, becoming what was known as the Congress Hall. I didn't see the name over the portico on the stamp until looking at it online.

The founders second daughter, Miss Emma Booth

Slum work by the Cellar, Garret and Gutter Brigade

Captain Florence Soper (I love a woman in uniform!)

The founder, General William Booth, traveled extensively around the world. Children were his 'Young Soldiers'. Here we see him 'speaking to and blessing an Indian Junior.'

The General was 'promoted to Glory on August 20, 1912'. Quite a euphemism! On August 21, William Bramwell Booth was appointed the second General of the Army. No sense waiting around.
Here is the new General's wife, Mrs. General Booth (really, that's what they call her - no name of her own).

Very pretty labels, really. Now I'll have to be on the look out for the other 29.
Send note to Staff
Edited by jamesw - 04/07/2013 10:50 pm

Pillar Of The Community
2361 Posts
Posted 04/07/2013   8:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add doug2222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Never seen those before!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 04/07/2013   8:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for the poor images but this is a copy of a copy that I subsequently scanned for this post from some material given to me years ago. I never did find any of those so-called cinderellas as they are apparently hard to find.

The Album referred to in the initial scan was the second of two versions that were primarily used in the UK and Canada, the first one dating from 1917-1919 (as shown by the content of the following scans and was unnumbered and with plain pages); whereas the second one (as per the initial scans in this thread) had numbers on them and were included in an album that provided descriptions for each stamp:

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 04/07/2013   10:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On top of things again, wt1. Terrific!
I see that the Orphan Asylum/Congress Hall in my book is called the International Training Garrison in yours.
I also notice that some of images changed from the earlier version you show to what I have.
Great! Two sets to find.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 04/07/2013   11:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To follow up, on the inside front cover of the book, it describes how the children are to acquire these stamps.
Similar to what's stated in the top of wt1's page, children were to 'fire a Cartridge of at least a halfpenny per week, a 'Stamp' will be given at the end of the month.'
You 'must' pay weekly, but could catch up with your arrears at the end of the month. It took three years to fill the stamp.
A half a penny a week must have been a fortune to a little kid in the early 20th century.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4606 Posts
Posted 04/08/2013   10:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great cinderellas jamesw

This is the first time I have seen these. Nice also to have the complete album that was made for them as well.

Chimo

Bujutsu
Netherlands
2 Posts
Posted 08/01/2019   12:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kurlywan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have several of these stamps, even the original sheets of more stamps, images will follow soon... Please write to me if you are interested...
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35789 Posts
Posted 08/01/2019   2:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fabulous thread
Not seen this thread before, or the cinderellas.
Well done all concerned.

Netherlands
2 Posts
Posted 08/01/2019   6:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kurlywan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So here is a few pics...

Pillar Of The Community
United States
587 Posts
Posted 08/01/2019   7:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
901 Posts
Posted 08/01/2019   8:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Purchased a collection of stamps that had once belonged to a career employee of the Salvation Army. Among the stamps I found a piece of old Letterhead.

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35789 Posts
Posted 08/02/2019   04:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Australia
Broken Hill "Silver City"
Cinderellas Christmas seals
Salvation Army.

Cover Postage Cut Square, mutilated Stationery
Australia
Salvation Army
Edited by rod222 - 08/02/2019 04:15 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35789 Posts
Posted 08/02/2019   04:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
More Salvation Army Pot Pourri...
http://goscf.com/t/9846 br /
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35789 Posts
Posted 08/02/2019   04:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

"Blood and Fire"
Salvation Army
Australian Stamp Monthly 1974
United States
1 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   12:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kerby99 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ARE THE CINDERELLA STAMPS SHEETS STILL AVAILABLE.?
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 6,992Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05