Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Vintage French Postcards

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 5,604Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
521 Posts
Posted 04/24/2013   11:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Zuzu to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I participate in a website that facilitates mail and craft swaps, and I received these three postcards from a partner in France. (The swap was for artist's trading cards, but she sent along several extra items that she thought I might enjoy.)

I took French in high school, but that was *cough*20yearsago*cough*, and I haven't even tried to decipher the handwriting on these. I'm looking for any information anyone can provide.

Post 1 of 3 - La Rochelle

Front:

Back:

Larger version can be seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zuzulo...21/lightbox/
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
521 Posts
Posted 04/24/2013   11:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zuzu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Post 2 of 3 - Anniversaire (does not appear to have been postally used)

Front:

Back:

Larger version can be seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zuzulo...75/lightbox/
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Zuzu - 04/24/2013 11:57 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
521 Posts
Posted 04/24/2013   11:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zuzu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Post 3 of 3 - Roses (does not appear to have been postally used)

Front:

Back:

Larger version can be seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zuzulo...63/lightbox/
Pillar Of The Community
2361 Posts
Posted 04/24/2013   1:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add doug2222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Card #1 - F.M. = Franchise Militaire ("free" mailed by a soldier). Finistere is in the extreme westernmost part of France, in Brittany. The city of Pont du Buis had important gunpowder mills.

Notice the return address included "38th Depot of Artillery, 3rd Battery" at La Rochelle, which is 100-150 miles due southeast of Finistere, directly on the coast.

The round marking in the "message" portion is a military censor's stamp. "Gare" on the picture side means the train station.

This website http://cousinages.boudehen.free.fr/...ie/n2850.htm contains the names of several members of the "l'Hours" family (in Finistere), although all of an age to be the young woman's (Josephe) parents or grandparents.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
521 Posts
Posted 04/24/2013   1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zuzu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's wonderful, Doug - thank you!

Very roughly translated, I think it says something along the lines of "good morning from the one who does not forget you" ... ??
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1128 Posts
Posted 04/24/2013   2:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ncbuckeye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also collect postcards - those are really nice. Thanks for showing them!
Pillar Of The Community
2361 Posts
Posted 04/24/2013   2:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add doug2222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Zuzu, yes that's a good translation.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1291 Posts
Posted 05/24/2013   11:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To add to Zuzu's fine selection. All unused but last card (no stamp).

Edited by stampfan9 - 05/24/2013 11:45 am
Pillar Of The Community
New Zealand
900 Posts
Posted 05/24/2013   6:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have many card boxes full of old French PC's. They provide a great history lesson.

stampfan9. The colour PC looks like a Tucks Oilette which was produced from 1905 - Very nice cards.

Another Oilette

Just a few of my France

With WW1 pencil censored town

Paris 1902
Edited by Bas S Warwick - 05/24/2013 6:39 pm
Pillar Of The Community
New Zealand
900 Posts
Posted 05/24/2013   7:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ougree

Floating Cafe.
Byrrh advert on the side - its a wine-based apéritif made of red wine, mistelle and quinine, created in 1866, and popular as a French apéritif.

Edited by Bas S Warwick - 05/24/2013 11:23 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2751 Posts
Posted 05/24/2013   10:40 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's some that I have:

Pillar Of The Community
New Zealand
900 Posts
Posted 05/24/2013   11:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice animation Battlestamps

Heres a few from early 1900's with stamps showing.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2751 Posts
Posted 05/26/2013   11:29 am  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another French postcard that I thought was interesting. It's a general Christmas greeting, but the reverse side shows the cards purpose and historical significance.

Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 5,604Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05