Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

R. H. White Color Study

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 6,887Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2743 Posts
Posted 01/20/2014   7:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stampcrow to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Anyone have a copy of these books or had a chance to check them out?

ENCYCLOPEDIA OF THE COLORS OF UNITED STATES POSTAGE STAMPS BY R.H. WHITE"

Was wondering if they are useful.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
1849 Posts
Posted 01/20/2014   8:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kevin504 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
YES...I have had a few sets come by me.
There are not cheap.....but worth it.
Expect to pay about $300 for 2 vol set....
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2743 Posts
Posted 01/20/2014   9:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm, I wonder if the foundation in NYC has a set?
Is it technical stuff about the printing process or more an illustrated guide?
Or both and more?

And a rhetorical question.....why the heck is it out of print???
Pillar Of The Community
United States
845 Posts
Posted 01/21/2014   02:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HungaryForStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Library of Congress in DC has a copy. I've been meaning to go into town and copy the illustrated plates, but haven't had the time. I wonder if the APS library has a copy?

For me the attraction are the plates which illustrate the color variations. I never even thought about what the text would cover.
Valued Member
377 Posts
Posted 01/21/2014   2:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1840to1940 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The APS union catalog shows holdings by the APRL, Collectors Club of Chicago, Rocky Mountain Philatelic Library, and the Postal History Foundation. I would pretty low odds on any of them lending it, though.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2743 Posts
Posted 01/21/2014   2:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's possable that the Foundation, if they have a copy, may let me spend some time with it on site.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
620 Posts
Posted 01/22/2014   08:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pjsstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is a new philatelic library in St. Paul, Minnesota. You would be suprised at what they have. I will be there Saturday and I will check on this. It is very unlikely that they would allow it to be checked out. If you have any business in Minnesota it's worth checking out.
Pillar Of The Community
1849 Posts
Posted 01/22/2014   11:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kevin504 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here goes....
Regency Sale (few days ago)
LOT #3375.....White Encyclopedia...sold $475 + premium.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2743 Posts
Posted 01/22/2014   7:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
$475+ wow! how can a publisher not see a market for another run of those?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3954 Posts
Posted 01/25/2014   1:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was interested and just purchased a set sold on eBay which included (4) volumes, plus a paper and gum volume. $400 for the set. I'm looking forward to receiving it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...201023192333
Edited by Partime - 01/25/2014 1:15 pm
Pillar Of The Community
1849 Posts
Posted 01/25/2014   1:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kevin504 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Partime.....great deal.
The 2 book set (4 vol) is what sold at Regency for $475+ BP....
Papers & Gum book.....harder to find.
A great investment.....
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2743 Posts
Posted 01/25/2014   2:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Partime, awesome!!
Would love that set.

My "hobby" money is going into a custom paint job on my steel framed bicycle this spring.
So any new stamp related stuff is strictly stampcrow this year.
Pillar Of The Community
3626 Posts
Posted 01/25/2014   3:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that Phil Bansner has them for sale too on his online philatelic literature website.
United States
1 Posts
Posted 03/23/2014   3:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aecomfire to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have all six volumes and find them very useful when evaluating shades and colors.
Volumes I and II are 1847-1868 and 1869 - 1893.
Volumes III and IV are 1894 - 1907 and 1908 - 1918.
Volume V Postage Due Issues 1879 - 1916.
The last volume is The Papers and Gums of United States Postage Stamps 1847 - 1909, this volume includes a glass slid with four paper samples, National, Continental, American Bank Notes and Bureau Issues.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3954 Posts
Posted 03/23/2014   9:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The last volume is The Papers and Gums of United States Postage Stamps 1847 - 1909, this volume includes a glass slid with four paper samples, National, Continental, American Bank Notes and Bureau Issues.

Well, bummer. I can't find any glass slide in my "Papers and Gums" volume. Maybe that is why the price was so good.
Rest in Peace
United States
1225 Posts
Posted 03/27/2014   07:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add artlaunier to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are these hardbound editions or loose leaf?
If loose leaf, were there hardboud editions printed?

Art
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. (The exact & entire wording of the 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution)
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 6,887Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05