Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Any Interest In World Postal Stationery?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 60
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26327 Posts
Posted 04/30/2019   7:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Western Australia : Chapter and Verse
Any information on this stationery please ask.
(Signed copy by Authors)
ISBN 0959647619
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 04/30/2019 7:05 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
635 Posts
Posted 05/04/2019   12:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I scored another postcard written in Volapük on eBay. This one is an uprated postal card from Belgium, postmarked in Borgerhout, now a district of Antwerp, on 16 December 1890. It's also the least expensive Volapük postcard I've ever bought: only $2.50, including shipping.

Edited by erilaz - 05/04/2019 01:00 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26327 Posts
Posted 05/04/2019   01:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nicaragua, Damaged, 1 part of Lettercard. ID Unknown.
That is one impressive building, facing the river. Naval Barracks I wonder.
Edited by rod222 - 05/04/2019 01:17 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2720 Posts
Posted 05/04/2019   09:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod,

Nice card, an unused half of a reply card.

Nicholas Seebeck and the Hamilton Bank Note Company provided a lot of good looking items.

I see Corinto has an interesting history, briefly occupied by the British in 1895 and with several US interventions over the years.
Nigel
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26327 Posts
Posted 05/04/2019   1:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Nigel,
Indeed...Seebeck ..Hero or Villain? personally I like his work also.

Nigel,
we have further information on the above, with our colleague Jill in Melbourne,
(my unofficial researcher )
Came up with this Gem, from the Australian Postal Stationery Society
Thanks Jill !

Found this in my files. Source unknown
We can ascertain the large building was a warehouse.
Edited by rod222 - 05/04/2019 1:47 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26327 Posts
Posted 05/04/2019   1:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
More Nicaraguan Stationery.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1087 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   09:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PoStat4evR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So many postal stationery items, so little time!

As a postal stationery collector I collect "Postal Stationery" in general. Mint or Used. Most countries pre 1900. Some countries thru WW2. Some countries, everything they put out.

I used to collect domestic (US) but once that fun wore off I moved to the world.

Some items are really overpriced, some are underpriced, so there is a game to see what can be obtained within my budget! eBay, Postal Stationery club sales circuits, dealers, and even some postal agencies! It doesn't matter, one can get what one wants.

Just curious as to the rest of you. What are your collecting habits in the Postal Stationery world?

One way or the other this is a fun hobby and a great learning pastime. I hope all the rest of you feel the same way! Comments?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2358 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   11:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If I have never seen an item before, then I am more likely to buy it. In wading through large cover boxes, you see similar items over and over. So, I set aside the interesting or unusual items. If I can come to an agreement with the dealer, I'll buy. Then, I'll try to figure out what it is.

Of course, you get nice, complete cancellations with postal stationery, which is also important.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26327 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   4:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I hope all the rest of you feel the same way! Comments?

Personally, not keen on Stationery, due to the difficulty in collecting / display /storage, however, looking at digital images, I really like stationery, some of the art is just beautiful.

As a worldwide collector, and, on a budget, I have to really bite the lip sometimes, with stationery. I want to bid, but there are other more pressing items (stamps/ ephemera) awaiting elsewhere.

Example: I REALLY had a hard time avoiding these, I could (just a gut feeling, not based on knowledge) see a profit in the following stationery I passed on. In my opinion just lovely stuff..........
Sold $36

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2358 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   4:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
$36 looks awfully cheap for those Hawaiians. Wonder how much they'd go for if they were used?

Space is big problem with stationery items and covers. A person I have bought from for many years told me he has a separate building for his cover stock. I have no reason to doubt him.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1087 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   5:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PoStat4evR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My personal collection has the postal stationery stored in binders. I use the 6x8 binders for the normal items, and an oversize 9 x 12 binders for the larger types. All data is on computer so I know what and where it is all located. I won't bore you with the number of binders, but there are a few.
My stamps are kept in albums or boxes.

All in all, if I ever got the time there would be a large amount of time to spend getting all this stuff into order and into the computer! It is fun for me, so I do it.

The stationery binders are alphabetical by country, and sub set by issue listed by catalog numbers of whatever catalog I can find the whole country listed in.

Those Hawaiian items were a nice lot for the price! Wish I had of seen them.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26327 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   5:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Those Hawaiian items were a nice lot for the price! Wish I had of seen them.

I came that close to emailing you, then thought better of it, you may have thought a collusion or whatever, I'll drop you a line if it happens again.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1087 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   8:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PoStat4evR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I may have taken you up on it. Don't forget me next time! Got any early Australian States? Email if applicable.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6356 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   9:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod those Hawaiian postal cards ARE beautiful. I have to agree with you.
I don't go after postal stationary, will pick them up if I find something interesting about them, but generally I prefer my stuff used. I like to see it's done its job.
But as a Hawaiian collector, I too would d have been drawn to those cards. Not just because they are beautiful but I think, being from a 'dead' country, they have an extra attraction.
Well done you, for picking those up!
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26327 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   10:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi James,
you may have miss read my post, I passed on them, my main focus is on Turkey and Australia, and I have some rare stuff upcoming, so saving my shekels.

I thought there was a dollar in them though, I saw them at $4.99 (3 lots)
but assumed they would have soared.
I thought $50 was a minimum.

But, yes, share your opinion, beautiful stuff.
Edited by rod222 - 05/15/2019 10:40 pm
Page: of 60 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05