Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Geisha And Japanese Costume Postcards

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 5,153Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1285 Posts
Posted 04/19/2014   07:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stampfan9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
All are unused:

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1251 Posts
Posted 04/19/2014   08:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Horamkhet to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi stampfan9
The first is a Geisha Girl, but all the others I would say are actors, (Male) depicting characters from Noh Plays.

The roles are always played by males

Horamakhet
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1285 Posts
Posted 04/19/2014   09:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Horamkhet, Thanks for the info. The Geisha girl postcard is from the artwork of a noted Japanese wood-block printing artist.
Edited by stampfan9 - 04/19/2014 09:51 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1251 Posts
Posted 04/19/2014   10:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Horamkhet to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi stampfan9

Keep you eye out for some of the early Japanese postcards, where the Kimonos are actually made of fabric, being silk.
They are not common. My wife has some, but she can not find them at present. When she does, I will post them for you to see.
Horamakhet
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1285 Posts
Posted 04/21/2014   10:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Horamkhet, Thanks and appreciation.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1180 Posts
Posted 10/17/2017   03:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm resuscitating this thread to show off a couple of kawaii ehagaki (cute picture postcards) from my own collection:

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1285 Posts
Posted 10/17/2017   10:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
erilaz, your cards are so very nice.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1180 Posts
Posted 10/17/2017   10:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you! When I saw both of them at WESTPEX (different years, different dealers), I absolutely had to buy them. And luckily for me, neither one cost very much.

Not a postcard, but similarly irresistible: I bought this telephone card from a stamp dealer in Tokyo's Asakusa district ten years ago:

Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
Posted 01/09/2018   9:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funbaldguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome cards, thank you for sharing!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1180 Posts
Posted 01/23/2018   9:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just got another nice one (but with the stamp unfortunately removed):

The scene of pretty girls in kimono under the cherry blossoms contrasts with the harsh reality described on the other side of the card. A lieutenant in the U.S. Naval Reserve, stationed in Nagoya three months after the end of World War II, writes, "All is very peaceful over here, but the cities are wrecks and the people are living very hard lives."

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1180 Posts
Posted 03/25/2018   02:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just bought this postcard this afternoon, at a nearby antique shop. I visited the place in the photo, Kinkakuji (Golden Pavilion) in Kyoto, three years ago.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4466 Posts
Posted 03/25/2018   03:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great colors. Very striking card.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1180 Posts
Posted 07/06/2018   12:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just got another one, from 1906:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1180 Posts
Posted 01/06/2019   02:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's one that I picked up today: Nagasaki to San Francisco, 1909.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1180 Posts
Posted 04/29/2019   11:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I bought two more Saturday afternoon at WESTPEX.

Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 04/30/2019   02:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I saw dozens of these yesterday at the 2019 JAPEX spring stamp show. Still going on through tomorrow.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 5,153Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05