Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Difference Between The Scott 205 And Scott 205 C?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 5,886Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community

571 Posts
Posted 07/30/2015   5:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add blazenstar to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Could someone please assist me on this question. I have two used stamps of the James Garfield 5 cent. The one on the left, distinctly looks like a yellow brown in color. The right one appears to be a grey brown in appearance. Both without grill, and no gum noted on either stamp.
Is there a specific way to tell the difference between a Scott 205 and 205c, not just based on the color? I am wondering if the second stamp on the right is the 205c in used condition.
Any response to my question would truly be appreciated.
Blazenstar

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1027 Posts
Posted 07/30/2015   5:40 pm  Show Profile Check ray.mac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ray.mac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Star, we get a lot of questions like this from new folks...who are hoping they have something that is a rarity and worth a fortune.

205c was a special printing, and was sold to collectors who ordered one through the mail. Special paper that is very white, and the stamps aren't normally known used, because they were collected. No way could yours be a 205c.

But all of us will enourage you to ask questions and learn all you can and welcome you to the forum.....good luck. I'm sure others will chime in also...

Welcome, and hope this helps....Ray
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1027 Posts
Posted 07/30/2015   5:50 pm  Show Profile Check ray.mac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ray.mac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Star, if you go to the Philatelic Foundation website, it will show you all of the certified copies of 205c. You can't see what I was referring to on all of them but they're all centered well, and you can almost look and see that the may have been a special printing.

Here is the link:
http://pfsearch.org/pfsearch/
Hope this helps, Ray
Pillar Of The Community
571 Posts
Posted 07/30/2015   6:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blazenstar to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ray..Maybe I'm a lucky one that some individual put it through the mail, and just happen to come in my possession after all these years.hahahaha...never know if this could have been a possibility. The stamp collector who sold both of these stamps to me said Brown including a grey brown with his description on the stamps. It does not appear to be a faded 205 one. It definitely a grey brown in color.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1748 Posts
Posted 07/30/2015   6:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add disi123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Blaze... please go through this eBay list
of 205's... you'll find plenty just like yours...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...5&_sacat=676

Here's a beauty...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Scott-20...em1c56adf9de
Edited by disi123 - 07/30/2015 6:58 pm
Valued Member
United States
464 Posts
Posted 07/30/2015   7:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Crouse27 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi blaze, the color on 205 does vary quite a bit even though it says yellow brown. I see two different shades of 205 in your posted images, and with some searching you could probably locate three or four more distinctly different shades... All of them 205.

The paper type and engraving image quality are key to 205C. Welcome!
Pillar Of The Community
571 Posts
Posted 07/30/2015   7:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blazenstar to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for responding back. However can anyone show me and image of the what the 205c looks like? Even in the specialize Scott cat. does not show the difference in a photo only the 205. It would be helpful to the newcomers like myself to see the difference for future references if they ever come across one.Does anyone have an image of the 205c that can post it in here? Would appreciate to see it.
Thank you!
Blazenstar
Pillar Of The Community
1849 Posts
Posted 07/30/2015   8:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kevin504 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
can anyone show me and image of the what the 205c looks like?

Quote:
Here is the link:
http://pfsearch.org/pfsearch/
Hope this helps, Ray

Pillar Of The Community
571 Posts
Posted 07/30/2015   9:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blazenstar to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you again, Ray. Just viewed the 205c offered by Seigel's. I do see what you are expressing. The experts at the PFoundation are fabulous. So interesting seeing all the different shades for the 205. Read in the community board that no straight edges were known for the 205c.However another person commented that all are known as mint, but one had a possibility due to cancel on a cover? That was an interesting comment expressed. So, it rules out mine as both being the plain 205.Oh well, have to look for another one in my adventures!..smiles
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1075 Posts
Posted 07/30/2015   9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Al E. Gator to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
#205C will have a much sharper image than a #205. It was printed on a Steam Press (experimental press I believe). #205 does have the Gray Brown color variety, same color as the #205C. As stated, there are no known used examples of #205C. Below is an image of a certified #205C--note the sharpness of the impression. There is also some conversation about the perforation holes on the #205C being slightly smaller than on the #205. Don't know if that's fact or just supposition.

http://pfsearch.org/pfsearch/images/460/460778.jpg
Pillar Of The Community
571 Posts
Posted 07/30/2015   10:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blazenstar to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Al Gator and everyone that responded. Enjoyed learning about this!
Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
Posted 08/01/2015   4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tipzi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Al - I'm now convinced that the #205C was perforated with a stroke perforator. That means every row was perforated with the same device, and any defect (out of line or odd-spaced teeth) repeats from one side to the other or from top to bottom. I found a good image of a certified #205C that had two defects that repeated top to bottom and one that repeated side to side. I also have a catalogue image of a large SPECIMEN block that demonstrates the stroke perforator was used by ABNC - remarkable centering, perfectly round holes and perf rows not parallel (having been punched one row at a time). The advantage is the ability to center each row of holes as well as to not interrupt the normal production of stamps by using the rotary perforators.

So, if one gets to be proficient at detecting multi-punch flat plate coil fakes, whose perforating device is a kind of stroke perforator, one can discern between the #205 and the #205C should any remain lurking about.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1075 Posts
Posted 08/01/2015   9:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Al E. Gator to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tipzi, Looked at the PF data base and the Siegel data base and can see the crispness to the perf. holes as one sees in faked perf. 12 coils. Clearly the holes are much sharper and rounder than normal 205s. I'll study the images and look for anomalies in alignment and spacing. I seem to recall a rather detailed and lengthy discussion on another site you were involved in about the 205C. Will see if I can find it and re-read it. Thanks!
Valued Member
United States
6 Posts
Posted 02/14/2020   12:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Shingo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello. I inherited my dad's collection and he had a decent amount of notes regarding Scott Numbers...but I need help with a "POTENTIAL" 205c. I've attached pictures of 2 stamps side by side. One is a noted 205...but the other one wasn't noted with a SCOTT NUMBER and I'm starting to think it might be a 205c. It's definitely GRAY/BROWN and looks different when placed next to a known 205. The one I think might be 205c is whiter, no gum on back and unused. Can anyone please help me ID and if it ends up being a 205c...WHAT DO I DO NEXT TO OFFICIALLY VERIFY AND SELL?

Learn More...
9670 Posts
Posted 02/14/2020   1:09 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome.
No, your stamp is not a Special Printing 205C. There are only 23 known 205C and they are all unused. Your stamp is used, the cancel is hard to see but it is there.
Don
Valued Member
United States
6 Posts
Posted 02/14/2020   2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Shingo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, 51Studebaker. Are you sure it's cancelled postage mark? I've been staring at it under super strong magnifying glass and cannot see the postage mark. It's a little dirty on one of the perforations in upper left but I honestly cannot see any other marks. Can you elaborate on what it looks like or where I can see it? Would it help if I uploaded or send a better image?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 5,886Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05