Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Things That Are No Longer There

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 54 / Views: 6,907Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3733 Posts
Posted 04/10/2016   1:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Partime to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is an interesting topic. Please post your stamps with pictures of things that are no longer there. They must have existed at one time, but we can be flexible.

I start with the "Old Man of the Mountain". A rock formation in New Hampshire, when viewed from a certain angle it looked like an old man's face. It is shown on US Scott 1068 issued in 1955. Unfortunately, it collapsed in 2003.

Old Pic and New Pic:

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2751 Posts
Posted 04/10/2016   3:06 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Colossus of Rhodes

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2742 Posts
Posted 04/10/2016   3:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Arches National Park's Delicate Arch proved to be so.

Edit: Oh mighty "clueless" one is at it again. It seems Delicate Arch is still intact.
Edited by stampcrow - 04/10/2016 5:00 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2415 Posts
Posted 04/10/2016   3:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGB to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6322 Posts
Posted 04/10/2016   3:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
West Berlin's Kongresshalle was built in 1957. It was referred to as "the pregnant oyster". When it collapsed in 1980, one person was killed and five were injured. The cause of collapse was structural failure due to corrosion.

Edited by bookbndrbob - 04/10/2016 3:44 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
553 Posts
Posted 04/10/2016   3:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Delicate Arch in Utah is still standing. Was there less than a month ago.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3733 Posts
Posted 04/10/2016   3:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great examples. I had no idea that oysters were so delicate (tasty, but not delicate).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2415 Posts
Posted 04/10/2016   3:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGB to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2415 Posts
Posted 04/10/2016   4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGB to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2742 Posts
Posted 04/10/2016   4:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Delicate Arch in Utah is still standing. Was there less than a month ago.

Holy moly that's embarrassing. Couple of years ago I brought into work, a photo of me standing next to Delicate Arch. A co worker said it had collapsed just before he made the trip there.

I never verified what he said. I've been under the impression that it was a pile of rubble at the bottom of the ravine.
Was there another arch that fell maybe?

Well, earning the name "clueless" has become a second job here.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3733 Posts
Posted 04/10/2016   5:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Was there another arch that fell maybe?

Yes, the Wall Arch collapsed a few years ago.

https://www.nps.gov/arch/learn/news/news080808.htm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
553 Posts
Posted 04/10/2016   5:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes indeed, there was an arch called Wall Arch that collapsed in 2008 in the Devils Garden Area. Maybe some folks and news outlets mistook that arch for Delicate Arch. The picture below was taken on my recent trip to one of my favorite national parks.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2415 Posts
Posted 04/10/2016   5:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGB to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7563 Posts
Posted 04/10/2016   7:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An obvious example is the 5 cent Pan-American which shows the now gone Bridge Over Niagara Falls.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3733 Posts
Posted 04/10/2016   7:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
An obvious example is the 5 cent Pan-American which shows the now gone Bridge Over Niagara Falls.

My horrible copy ...

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2751 Posts
Posted 04/10/2016   7:59 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This one is not as obvious -

Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 54 / Views: 6,907Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05