Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mystery Code Postcard

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 3,337Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1128 Posts
Posted 09/11/2016   1:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This one came out of a dollar box; there were several similar cards from the same sender. It's a common UX9 postcard, sent to Gageville, OH in 1887, with a nice St. Paul & Mandan RPO cancellation. But the message on the back is a mystery. What is this writing? A form of shorthand? Some kind of code? I've already held it up to a mirror, but that didn't seem to make a difference.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7315 Posts
Posted 09/11/2016   1:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen letters written like this as well. It might be an early form of Pittman shorthand.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 09/11/2016   6:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Back in the day, lots of folks took shorthand training in high school.

As for identifying what you've got, try:

http://www.alysion.org/handy/althandwriting.htm

http://pitmanshorthand.homestead.co...tsample.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shorthand

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1128 Posts
Posted 09/14/2016   4:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've looked through Pitman and many of the other shorthand charts now and nothing really matches this lettering. I'm thinking it may be a cipher.
2 Posts
Posted 11/22/2016   10:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Klaus Schmeh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the solution:
"Once more I come down to postal card…
…October twentyeth eighteen eighty seven.
Here I am at home once more. At all the home
that you and I will have. A nice comfortable
home of our own. Ohanna how I do love you. I am
thinking of you so much. I got here this a.m. (?)
+ have been busy visiting + packing.
I have all my packing done + am all ready
to start as far as that goes. But I want to
visit lots more + ….. to leave here
Saturday morning + go to Fargoston (?)
there… till Sunday evening at about
eighteen. Then I will get into St. Paul
Monday morning at seven fifty +
will leave at once for Cedar Rapids,
geting there between seven +
eight monday evening + then to
Mt. Vernon by eleven fifty. That
I think will be the plan I will carry
out if nothing happens. I am feeling
first class but I want to hear from you
tomorrow. That was forwarded to
me at Cavalier from Grafton.
I won´t be able to write my usual
sunday letter + perhaps I won´t
write again until I…
I wrote Frank that I was coming +
also my cousin to … professor
….. to have my room ready for my
….everything will be ok
for me. Well I must stop…."

The code was broken by reader Thomas on my Blog Klausis Krypto Kolumne: http://scienceblogs.de/klausis-kryp...mment-823504
Learn More...
8966 Posts
Posted 11/22/2016   10:32 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Klaus,
Welcome and thank you, nicely done! Please pass our thanks on to your reader Thomas.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7241 Posts
Posted 11/22/2016   10:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Klaus, thank you for this!
One small item. In your quest you mentioned that you can not find St Paul & Mandan by Googling it.
St.Paul & Mandan was a railroad between St Paul and Mandan, North Dakota. This railroad was authorized to have an RPO, or Railroad Post Office in it's trains.

Peter
2 Posts
Posted 11/22/2016   12:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Klaus Schmeh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don, Peter: You're welcome, it was my pleasure. If you know other encrypted postcards, feel free to contact me.

Klaus
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
410 Posts
Posted 11/22/2016   12:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Klaus:

Was this a simple substitution cipher, or was there some other elements involved?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1128 Posts
Posted 11/22/2016   9:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Brilliant! I would also like to know the cipher.
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 12/17/2018   9:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I've PM'd Klaus (above) to ask for his help

I would dazzle y'all with my encyclopedic knowledge of ANGBATS PXP and UPSALA 3 TUR, but:

http://goscf.com/t/9771 ... Question about 1907 Swedish Postmark

So my postmark is 1890, not 1990, r-i-g-h-t ?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1071 Posts
Posted 12/18/2018   01:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Was this a simple substitution cipher, or was there some other elements involved?

Just by comparing the first six words of the message, it seems pretty clear that it is just a simple substitution cipher.

I'm quite certain that ikeyPikey's Swedish card is in some form of shorthand, but I can't read it. I have this German and Volapük postcard in my own collection with a (Gabelsberger?) shorthand message that remains a complete mystery to me.

Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 12/31/2018   06:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's cool.
And I thought my handwriting was bad! :)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1128 Posts
Posted 11/17/2020   12:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've come across another coded postcard, this time from Canada. This one appears to be more complex. Perhaps Klaus is still around.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1128 Posts
Posted 11/17/2020   12:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And another! I believe these are from the same writer and I also now think they are written upside down, so I have rotated them...

Edited by GregAlex - 11/17/2020 12:56 am
Valued Member
United States
246 Posts
Posted 11/17/2020   01:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add postagedueguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Apparently even back in the 'old days' some people simply had too much time on their hands.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 3,337Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.54 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05