Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scraping The Bottom Of The Barrel - Nystamps

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 3,347Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
9919 Posts
Posted 11/27/2016   04:30 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add 51studebaker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
NYStamps includes the following blanket statement in all their listings, "Some stamps could be expertly restored, regum, or repaired." What kind of 'deals' does a person get when buying under these terms?

Here are few recent 'deals'
A #278 sold yesterday for $295.00, a great price for a mint copy! (Of course that is if you don't mind the 'expertly' replaced corner of the stamp.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/nystamps-US...AOSwKOJYH5R3

Here is a current 'deal' on a 'mint' $2 #242 – I have been looking for an 'OG' copy of this stamp…
http://www.ebay.com/itm/351910788823/?rmvSB=true

I am so glad to see they honestly describe the stamp as being 'OG' and hinged so no one will be disappointed when they receive it. Won't it look great all mounted up and sitting in an album?

I am unsure of which amazes me more; that there are people who spend money on stamps like this or that we have plenty of other people who continue to support dealers who sell like this.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1932 Posts
Posted 11/27/2016   06:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don,

So what's new? Besides, I wouldn't classify that #278 corner repair as "expert" and there are no words for the 242.

Jack Kelley
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
579 Posts
Posted 11/27/2016   09:38 am  Show Profile Check wheelman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add wheelman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You have cleared up, with your posting, what "repaired" means. Had not seen this so accurately displayed. Thank you.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1542 Posts
Posted 11/27/2016   10:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I must admit to buying from nystamps, exclusively used One-Cent 1851-61 blues (including some that apparently originally came from the Neinken collection). But you have to be on your guard at all times with this seller. Their business model apparently is to buy up collections, cherry-pick individual items and then sell off the balances. It's high-volume, and thus one might be able to overlook the occasional incorrect description or unmentioned fault. But too many of their items show the exact kind of repairs illustrated in Don's post to be coincidental. At least the reverse of the stamp is always illustrated.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6534 Posts
Posted 11/27/2016   10:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Everything said so far is absolutely true. Collectors of classic stamps must always be vigilant and expect condition problems. They go with the territory. At least NY Stamps provides a disclaimer...which is a blanket statement that you are likely buying damaged, altered, or repaired stamps. Yes, the "expertly" repaired corner on Sc #248 is a bad joke.

I have bought modern stamps from NY Stamps on several occasions at very good prices, and with no condition problems.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2761 Posts
Posted 11/27/2016   10:08 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Which side of the 242 is the o.g. on?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1527 Posts
Posted 11/27/2016   10:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The listing title for "nystamps," and many other sellers, does not constitute a "description" of the item offered. It is simply a string of terms that are supplied to match search queries. That is, the text "US stamp #242 Mint OG H $1150" no longer is intended as a "description" of the stamp in a traditional sense. Instead, it merely means, "if you are looking for US stamp Scott 242 mint hinged, I want you to look at this listing." Beyond that, the sole "description" is the images. You are buying what you see, and the title of the listing should form no part of the decision process.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
513 Posts
Posted 11/27/2016   10:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Look up NYStamps' record on stampsmarter. It is (IMO) abysmal. THey have the highest number of reviews (374) and only 114 corrected listings (30%).

I bought from them early on. I also complained to them about an item I bought and got banned for my trouble.

I know other collectors who also refuse to buy from them.

Caveat emptor.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3209 Posts
Posted 11/28/2016   07:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What do people do with those stamps?
Al
Pillar Of The Community
United States
845 Posts
Posted 11/28/2016   3:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HungaryForStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting as an example of what people are willing to pay for.

But not sure I see much of a problem in these two cases. The images clearly show the problems and they provide a back scan. The buyer is responsible for reviewing the images.

Edited by HungaryForStamps - 11/28/2016 3:39 pm
Learn More...
9919 Posts
Posted 11/28/2016   4:10 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No argument from me that it is 'ok' from a eBay policy standpoint. But is 'what is good for eBay' also the standard for 'what is good for our hobby'?

If anyone can argue that this kind of 'trolling for suckers' selling benefits our hobby in any way please post the reasoning.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
845 Posts
Posted 11/28/2016   5:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HungaryForStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why is it necessarily trolling for suckers? A seller should be able to list his crap for sale and see if anyone is interested. Providing front and back scans that are sufficient in resolution to see the defects is hard to criticize from my point of view.

Perhaps someone wants a space filler and doesn't have good taste or doesn't want to spend additional time to find a better copy of the stamp for the same price. Some folks just don't care. There's no evidence to believe the buyers don't know better.

I fail to see why this is bad for the hobby. In fact, if there is such a brisk market for crappy copies of expensive stamps, then that may be a good sign.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6534 Posts
Posted 11/28/2016   6:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with HungaryForStamps. In the cases of the 2 stamps of the original posting, a buyer knows exactly what he/she is getting. There is no attempt at deception here.

The market will decide what people are willing to pay for damaged/crappy copies of classic stamps.
Learn More...
9919 Posts
Posted 11/28/2016   6:25 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...Why is it necessarily trolling for suckers?...

Because it takes no more time/effort/cost to type 'faulty' than it does to type 'original gum'. Because it takes no more time to take a higher resolution image than it does to take a low resolution image. Additionally, they are 'repairing' these stamps. If this was simply some hobbyist who didn't know better I would agree that this is not 'trolling for suckers'. This is a dealer who clearly has a history of 'repairing' stamps and not specifically calling out the repair in the listing. I have no heartburn with space fillers, simply add 'faulty' or 'space filler' to the listing.

It is bad for the hobby because every time a person gets burned from a poor listing increases the likelihood that they will become discouraged with the hobby and/or bad mouth the hobby at a later date. If desired, I can contact you offline with examples of the many emails I have received over the last few years from people who are highly discouraged after being ripped off. Alternately, ask some of the expertization folks to better understand the scope and breadth of the poorly described online listing issue.

We all know that education is important in our hobby. I have little sympathy for those who might have more money than sense. But many of us have spent a large amount of time (and money) trying increase educational opportunities in our hobby. It is not very motivational to have folks say this is not damaging to our hobby or say that they are willing to support this kind of seller.

Lastly, every dollar we spend supporting this kind of selling is a dollar that does not go to supporting the good sellers.

If I look at this issue from a selfish perspective, than this is not an issue. I have enough experience, I have paid my 'dues' and learned the hard way, I know how to avoid being ripped off. But when I look at this from the perspective of someone who has poured thousands of man hours into trying to help others learn our great hobby, then this seems to be a 'no-brainer'.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5310 Posts
Posted 11/28/2016   7:23 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
At some point, SOME responsibility needs to fall on the bidiots buying these items. In both cases in the OP, the faults are CLEARLY apparent in the images. I have zero sympathy for the buyers whatsoever in these particular cases.

If I sell a piece of sch1tt, and show it as a piece of sch1tt, at what point does it become my responsibility if several people decide to pay too much for it?
Edited by revenuecollector - 11/28/2016 7:24 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2011 Posts
Posted 11/28/2016   9:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not so worried about examples like this picture, where the stamps' condition is fairly obvious. More troubling are listings with the slight tear that's barely visible or the crease or thin that's not so obvious. I agree that a written description of those faults would be much better. I have bought from this seller before with good results, but I look over the pictures very, very carefully and if something doesn't look quite right, I don't give them the benefit of the doubt. If I see so much as a potential fault, I don't bid or I reduce my bid accordingly.

For better or worse, posting a scan or a picture with no additional description (even with visible faults) has become standard operating procedure for far too many sellers. Even sellers that do a better job of photographing (e.g. NobleSpirit) don't always offer much in the way of additional written disclosure in the description. This is a problem all over the stamp category in eBay and is not unique to NYStamps.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 3,347Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05