Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Match And Medicine Facsimile Labels

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
438 Posts
Posted 04/17/2017   8:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add SPQR to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Following-up on the discussion of facsimile labels on this thread
http://goscf.com/t/53621 I finally decided to mount my facsimile labels. The first few pages are below, and I will scan and post the others once I finish mounting them. I actually have copies of 4M1 and 90M1, but they are on the original medicine packages, and obviously I don't want to soak them off to put them on a page.

Send note to Staff
Edited by SPQR - 04/17/2017 8:47 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6189 Posts
Posted 04/17/2017   9:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some scarce things here. The two Ayers in particular are VERY scarce. The Campion and the Fleming Bros are also quite scarce.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
914 Posts
Posted 04/18/2017   03:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are terrific! I've always like the F. Brown's labels.
Valued Member
United States
438 Posts
Posted 04/18/2017   8:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
More facsimile labels. I have finished the Springer-listed facsimiles (basically the same as what Holcombe referred to as Type I labels where the design closely matches the private die stamp). I have about 10 pages of Holcombe Type II labels (labels that do not closely resemble the private die stamp) still to mount. Then I hope to organize the non-label facsimiles such as items cut from patent medicine almanacs or facsimiles printed directly on the package.

Valued Member
United States
438 Posts
Posted 04/18/2017   8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
even more facsimile labels

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6189 Posts
Posted 04/18/2017   11:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Rings and Swaim's are great items. The Mette & Kanne, which you are still missing is extremely rare; I can only remember seeing one and that was over 40 years ago.
Valued Member
United States
438 Posts
Posted 04/19/2017   08:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, the Mette & Kanne is extremely rare. Eric has a copy in stock priced at $1,250.
Edited by SPQR - 04/19/2017 08:27 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
741 Posts
Posted 04/19/2017   4:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southpaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow - an amazing collection!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
659 Posts
Posted 04/20/2017   07:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great material. I would love to hear some of the backstory of some of the facsimile labels. Most of these were used in the period following the end of the tax June 30, 1883. But some of these companies used a facsimile in the 1883-1898 period and post-1901. Which were used on the actual products and which were illustrations in their advertising (e.g., almanacs) would also add to my appreciation and understanding of these marvelous pieces.
Ron Lesher
Valued Member
United States
438 Posts
Posted 04/20/2017   08:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ron -
The facsimiles above are (almost) all labels that were affixed to packages of the patent medicines after the tax expired. Holcombe divided the labels into two categories: type I (label closely matches the private die stamp); and type II (label does not closely match the private die stamp). Holcombe's type I listing appears to be the basis for Springer's listing of facsimile labels. The pages above are the Springer-listed labels, with some additions that I have marked with the Springer number followed by "var" for variety. I have a few of these labels still on the original medicine packages, I'll post photos once I finish mounting the type II labels and other facsimiles.
There are also some facsimiles that were not labels, but were printed directly on the patent medicine container. I suspect that the Brandreth labels on manilla paper were actually printed directly on the product wrapper and were not labels. I have examples of this facsimile on still on the package. However, since Springer listed these facsimiles, I have followed his listing and included them here.
As you noted there are also facsimiles that were cut from patent medicine almanacs and other advertisements. I have a number of these and will post them once I get them mounted. Some of these facsimiles have been written-up in TAR, but I am not aware of listing of all the varieties. There is also the problem of determining what is a facsimile of the private die stamp and what is just a use of the company's logo.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1511 Posts
Posted 04/20/2017   11:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

Here are images of some of the labels that you're missing. Maybe they can be used as place holders?

Jim

Pillar Of The Community
United States
741 Posts
Posted 04/20/2017   4:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southpaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
recently I've been working on pages for M&M facsimiles. If anybody would like to donate high resolution scans of some of these items please let me know. I only have the Brandreths, Joseph Burnett, RV Pierce, WT Blow, ET Hazeltine 101M1, Holman 126M1, Hostetter, JF Henry, Mishler 181M1, Dr. Jayne 149M1, Sanmeto 302M1, RussellMorgan, Schenck 212M2. Shown below is the sample first page. Pages are 8.5 x 11. I'm following Springer's listing but clearly there are more to illustrate. Once done i'll be happy to share the pages pdf file with anybody who would like it.

Valued Member
United States
438 Posts
Posted 04/20/2017   5:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jim - thanks for posting the F. Brown labels. I had not noticed the difference in the "successor to" language at bottom. The stamp you posted is Springer 37M2. I have a copy of that label, but thought it was just a duplicate of the label I posted which it turns out is a variety not listed by Springer (quick way to tell them apart is that the "successor to" language is on three lines, not two). I also have a copy of the second F. Brown label that you posted "Not over 75% alcohol" I guess I need to prepare another page for the F. Brown labels.
Valued Member
United States
438 Posts
Posted 04/20/2017   5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Andrew Ferry wrote a two part article in TAR on the F. Brown labels. Part one was the firm history and issued stamps. Part two covered the "illegal" facsimiles. The article indicated that a third part would cover the legal facsimiles, but it doesn't look like it was ever published.
Valued Member
United States
438 Posts
Posted 04/22/2017   8:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Below are images of what Holcombe referred to as Type II labels where the design shows little to no resemblance to the issued stamps

Valued Member
United States
438 Posts
Posted 04/22/2017   8:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Type II labels continued

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05