Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Photobucket And Their Greed

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6
Forum Dad
USA
1482 Posts
Posted 07/01/2017   11:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Photobucket has decided that you now have to pay $400 a year to have your images show up anywhere except their pathetically slow ad riddled site.

Effective 5 minutes ago photobucket will no longer be allowed in new posts.

I saw this coming and that's why I have been pushing for everyone to upload here. I even upped the upload size limit to waaaayyyy more than necessary and have a new disk (4 times the size) scheduled for install on the server for just uploaded images. Now we have thousands of useless topics.

This is what's showing up for your images now if you use Photobucket and haven't paid the ransom to the greedy kidnappers.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3318 Posts
Posted 07/01/2017   11:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, bummer. I think all of mine were uploaded, but I know that other Stamp websites are going to have real problems with this. Thanks for staying on top of things.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2612 Posts
Posted 07/01/2017   11:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It sorta like the hostage cyber attacks. Pay up or lose all the reposts.
Al
Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 07/01/2017   2:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well it is great the Bobby allows us to upload our images to SCF. It is so easy to do, and even has the optimizer.

That is one of the reasons why I am a SCF subscribing supporter - I think everyone should be the same.
BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2671 Posts
Posted 07/01/2017   2:51 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some eBay sellers are none to pleased either.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2612 Posts
Posted 07/01/2017   2:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ha! I was a supporter. I guess my period expired.
Al
Edited by angore - 07/01/2017 2:54 pm
Learn More...
7547 Posts
Posted 07/01/2017   3:10 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Forum Dad
USA
1482 Posts
Posted 07/01/2017   3:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Ha! I was a supporter. I guess my period expired.

Just expired on the 10th. But I got your new one. Thank you!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1320 Posts
Posted 07/01/2017   5:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I find it hard to understand the outrage, but maybe I'm missing something. They offer a service that has costs, probably ever-increasing costs. If too few convert to paying customers, they cannot cover their costs. With third party hosting, as the internet has exploded, they are probably serving your images to third party sites millions of more times than they expected. Too few of these users, who are driving millions of retrieval operations, have converted to paying customers at a sufficient level. Therefore that aspect of their business has become unsustainable on a free basis. They are simply reacting to evolution of the market. If they misjudged the price, likely they will lower it - tell them what lower amount you'll pay. But I find it hard to characterize it as greed. They're trying to run a sustainable system - as SCF does in soliciting donations.

People can always set up their own servers to do the same thing at their cost - but no, in the internet millenium, we want someone else to pay for all our services. Not every service can be ad-supported at a level that sustains the business.
Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
Posted 07/01/2017   5:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Richard Frajola to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The owners of this forum as well as many other forum owners made a choice at some point to allow photobucket images (and advertising) - both opened certain vulnerabilities to market change.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
258 Posts
Posted 07/01/2017   10:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tlmcca to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That is one of the reasons why I am a SCF subscribing supporter - I think everyone should be the same.

BeeSee: well said! I just signed up for the recurring monthly plan.

Terry
Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 07/02/2017   12:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good on you Tlmcca!
BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Learn More...
7547 Posts
Posted 07/02/2017   08:06 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The admin of StampBoards spammed me last night (one email would have been fine, I really didn't need five of the same emails) comparing Photobucket to the devil's spawn. He mentions legal actions and other such nonsense. Exactly how would a legal action be used? 'Gee, this free service caused me damage when they decided to try to make money?' Or perhaps it might be 'I suffered emotional harm and now have PTSD because I can no longer suck free services from an online image hosting company'? Or maybe a Class Action where they force a company to provide a free service forever?

You get what you pay for. What's next? Users getting upset that Google is searching every one of their Gmail emails for key words so they can target ads to them?
Don
Pillar Of The Community
669 Posts
Posted 07/02/2017   08:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add graphis to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just checked some older posts on SCF...images are still there.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2612 Posts
Posted 07/02/2017   11:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also got multiple emails from stampboards.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6427 Posts
Posted 07/02/2017   4:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Seems my PB uploads here, and on other stamp boards are effected, but many others aren't. Do I have a post-it note stuck on my back?
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05